Bi-fold door lock

Bi-fold door lock

This is a discussion on Bi-fold door lock within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Alright ladies and gentlemen, I can use some creative and/or constructive minds here. I'm trying to figure out how to add a lock to bi ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Bi-fold door lock

Bi-fold door lock

Alright ladies and gentlemen, I can use some creative and/or constructive minds here. I'm trying to figure out how to add a lock to bi folding doors. Subtle locks, nothing heavy duty, i.e. just to discourage entry.

They look like this

Distinguished Member Array Ghettokracker71's Avatar
    screen-door-lock-1b-787465.jpg

If its something to keep a child out, a lock like above could work placed at the top, where the door folds OUT. ? (essentially: just RIGHT or LEFT of the hinges at the top of the door.)

Or replace with a regular type door if possible? A bi-fold door can only be SO secure :-/

EDITED:I haven't seen you around the boards before, so a late welcome. I assume you drive a Grand Cherokee by your SN.
    Rock and Glock likes this.

"To blame a gun for a mans decision is to foolishly attribute free will to an inanimate object"- Colion Noir.

Distinguished Member Array dangerranger's Avatar
    The way a bi fold works, the only effective locking system would be a solid bar anchored at both sides of the door frame and the center of the bi fold. Think of the old 2x4 across the door. But that door would not make much of a barrier. Its not heavy enough to stop a good kick. DR

I'd say this type of lock at the top of the door near the fold should suffice if the goal is to discourage children and pets.

30930-11-500.jpg

If you're trying to discourage thieves, robbers and the like, put your valuable things elsewhere is all I've got.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

These are images of surface bolts. A bi-fold is inherently insecure and weak, so a surface bolt only keeps out the honest and wee ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock and Glock View Post
    I like that. If I could incorporate a small hole in the end of one end to insert a small padlock, that would be great.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghettokracker71 View Post
    I haven't seen you around the boards before, so a late welcome. I assume you drive a Grand Cherokee by your SN.
    Thank you, and yeah I had my ZJ when I made my account here. I lurk more than I post on most boards. Long story short but I had my Grand for two years and 4 wheeled it occasionally. I also had a motorcycle

Distinguished Member
    If just to discourage youngunz from opening the door, perhaps a piece of aluminum U-stock, as long as one door panel is wide.
    Lay it on top of one panel so the top of the door goes into the channel... to "lock", close the door and just slide the aluminum U-stock so it is half-way on each door panel, preventing the door from bending at the center hinge point.
    Rock and Glock likes this.
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    The Second Amendment *IS* Homeland Security
    --------------------- Μολὼν λαβέ ----------------------

VIP Member
    "What's a ZJ?"

"If you have to ask, you can't afford it."
    tubadude likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by GrandZJ View Post
    Thank you, and yeah I had my ZJ when I made my account here. I lurk more than I post on most boards. Long story short but I had my Grand for two years and 4 wheeled it occasionally. I also had a motorcycle
    ah,.. I have an XJ(they didn't offer the ZJ with a manual transmission.)

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    "What's a ZJ?"

"If you have to ask, you can't afford it."
    hahaha. My dad loves to say "if you have to ask,..". a ZJ is the chassis code and common nickname amongst jeepers for the 1993-1998 Grand Cherokee.

"To blame a gun for a mans decision is to foolishly attribute free will to an inanimate object"- Colion Noir.

Actually, 1993 and 1994 ZJ's had the manual transmission option if you bought the base model. The base model was lower than the Laredo.

I think I may put two loops on either side of the center door hinge, and slide a piece of metal with one end bent 90 degrees, and a hole in the non-bent end and put a lock through that. It's just so people know not to go in there really.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Here's an idea!

Quote Originally Posted by GrandZJ View Post
    Actually, 1993 and 1994 ZJ's had the manual transmission option if you bought the base model. The base model was lower than the Laredo.

I think I may put two loops on either side of the center door hinge, and slide a piece of metal with one end bent 90 degrees, and a hole in the non-bent end and put a lock through that. It's just so people know not to go in there really.
    Interesting,...did not know that. It was hilarious to see the reactions of friends and family when I first got it,and they rode it in the first time,..."Wait, its a MANUAL!? But,..but,..its an SUV!"
    Quote Originally Posted by bigjason6 View Post
    Here's an idea!
    Hey, where'd you find a picture of my gun safe

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links