Star Spangled Banner - Page 2

Star Spangled Banner

This is a discussion on Star Spangled Banner within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Originally Posted by atctimmy Well said. I completely agree. One thing I liked about this version was the fire and intensity. When I think about ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: Star Spangled Banner

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    Well said. I completely agree.

One thing I liked about this version was the fire and intensity. When I think about our still standing flag during the British shelling I feel both pride and anger. I think this version of the song makes me feel the same emotions.

After hearing it for the second time I'm a little fired up. I feel like punching someone in the mouth and taking my country back.
    Well said! They are not trying to change the national anthem, they are putting their heart, soul, and patriotism (electric guitar, bass, drum, and vocals with a pulse) into the song to enhance it. In my opinion the electric guitar, screaming vocals, and loud drums make the anthem more chilling and powerful.

Whitney Houston's performance at the Super Bowl after 9/11/01 is a perenial favorite and pretty hard to beat with her amazing voice at the time for a traditional performance. Sure Madison Rising recorded this in a studio using multiple musical instruments to enhance it and may never be on as big a stage as Whitney Houston was but I feel their patriotism and pride blasting out of the speakers and it feels good.
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

I like it, a lot. Michael Bane posted a link to it from his DownrangeTV website several months ago and I'm not tired of hearing it yet. Most stylized version, I don't like but this one I do. The reason the for National Anthem is to show the pride and respect we have for our country and like the original version, this version does that.

With all the problems we have in our country, the line "for those unaware our flag is still there" makes me feel a little more positive.

I also like the grenade on the microphone stand.

All that said, not everybody like the same kind of music.

Ever hear one that the crowd cheered through the entire thing? Soldier Field, 2011. Definitely one of my favorites. No instruments, no grooving it out. Just one man putting 110% into it. Awesome!

Why Being American Is Awesome: Jim Cornelison's National Anthem on 9-11-11 - YouTube
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

I love this country! I love our national anthem. I like the standard version... And, I am proud that Americans can each make the Anthem their own, in their own way... I have played harp ( blues harmonica ) I cannot get the double bend needed to play it correctly for that ONE NOTE.... So, I don't play it on harp.

Now, as a lover of the blues, I requested Jimi Hendrix's Version (from Woodstock) on the Friday following the 9/11 attacks. One of our local stations (Public Radio) plays blues on Friday nights... The DJ did not have it in the station that night (it's in his personal collection, though).

Many do not like Jimi's version... I do. I do because he was able, with his instrument, able to convey the mayhem and destruction that occurred that night while Key was writing the lyrics. It is played with feeling, it is played with nuance... and it really is quite intense. I do not listen to it often, because it is an extremely emotional piece. And so, I only play it when the mood is right... As it would have been shortly after 9/11.

Blasphemy (some might call it that) or not, here it is:

NMB likes this.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mprp View Post
    Ever hear one that the crowd cheered through the entire thing? Soldier Field, 2011. Definitely one of my favorites. No instruments, no grooving it out. Just one man putting 110% into it. Awesome!

Why Being American Is Awesome: Jim Cornelison's National Anthem on 9-11-11 - YouTube
    I loved that one. I was looking for it but couldn't find it.

NMB
    Quote Originally Posted by oakchas View Post
    I love this country! I love our national anthem. I like the standard version... And, I am proud that Americans can each make the Anthem their own, in their own way... I have played harp ( blues harmonica ) I cannot get the double bend needed to play it correctly for that ONE NOTE.... So, I don't play it on harp.

Now, as a lover of the blues, I requested Jimi Hendrix's Version (from Woodstock) on the Friday following the 9/11 attacks. One of our local stations (Public Radio) plays blues on Friday nights... The DJ did not have it in the station that night (it's in his personal collection, though).

Many do not like Jimi's version... I do. I do because he was able, with his instrument, able to convey the mayhem and destruction that occurred that night while Key was writing the lyrics. It is played with feeling, it is played with nuance... and it really is quite intense. I do not listen to it often, because it is an extremely emotional piece. And so, I only play it when the mood is right... As it would have been shortly after 9/11.

Blasphemy (some might call it that) or not, here it is:

Hendrix sang it the best if you ask me
    NRA Member
    Certified Kitchen Gunsmith

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive."
    - C.S. Lewis

VIP Member
    Many do not like Jimi's version...
    I don't like it.
    Pro2A likes this.

I'm still not sure why it became our national anthem.
    That aside, don't screw with it, don't "put your mark on it", nobody cares about your mark, it is our song. Just sing it the way it is supposed to be sung. If you can't pull the song off (that is admittedly difficult) without changing it, get someone who can. Any half-patriotic American will be more moved by a singer performing it a capella (who is doing it the right way) than any combination of people changing it.
    wmhawth likes this.
    As we used to teach in the spook business, carry a 25 if it makes you feel good, but do not ever load it. If you load it you may shoot it. If you shoot it you may hit somebody, and if you hit somebody - and he finds out about it - he may be very angry with you. -- Jeff Cooper

I don't like it.
    S'okay... There are many times I don't "feel it" either.

Just then, I remember that this is one country where one can take an "Axe" to the national anthem, or even burn a flag...and not be hung from a light pole in the town square...

But let's not stray too far from topic here... I have listened to every version posted and enjoyed them all...
    atctimmy likes this.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

I loved that one. I was looking for it but couldn't find it.
    For what the song is about, he puts into it emotion and pride that you can actually feel. It's the way it ought to be IMO. Others have done it very well but this guy pretty much says, "Excuse me, but I KNOW I have your attention!"

A couple of football games ago at our local high school there was a student that did it very well. To hear younger people sing our national anthem and be off here and there is still appreciated but I actually caught myself nodding and smiling during that one. I hope he does more this year.
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links