Star Spangled Banner

This is a discussion on Star Spangled Banner within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; An updated version that knocked my socks off. Please..take a listen. The Star Spangled Banner: One Million Star Spangled Challenge...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: Star Spangled Banner

Star Spangled Banner

An updated version that knocked my socks off. Please..take a listen.

The Star Spangled Banner: One Million Star Spangled Challenge
    QKShooter and WHEC724 like this.
    "Confidence is food for the wise man but liquor for the fool"

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Pro2A's Avatar
    I still thin Jordin Sparks knocked it out of the park when she sang it in Super Bowl XLII. She hit every note perfectly. It gives me chills. I can't stand it when people sing it off key, it just grates my nerves. She got it just right.

Jordin Sparks National Anthem at Super Bowl XLII - YouTube
    QKShooter and FLArmadillo like this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sig35seven View Post
    An updated version that knocked my socks off. Please..take a listen.

The Star Spangled Banner: One Million Star Spangled Challenge
    I was fully prepared to hate it after the first 5 seconds.....but, after listening all the way through, I kinda liked it.
    goldshellback likes this.

The National Anthem of the United States is surely deserving of a better and more dignified performance than
    off key vocal gymnastics.

I appreciate what they are trying to do with this, but I feel that our national anthem is one song that shouldn't be altered. That being said, they sounded good.
    mprp likes this.
    Disarming innocent people does not protect innocent people.

Don't ever think that the reason I'm peaceful is because I'm afraid to be violent!

Administrator
    I Like This Rendition. Our Little Home Girl.

The Star Spangled Banner!

I love it. Get cold chills each time I hear it done in the correct manner. The two posted versions were pretty good however.

It is a very difficult song to sing, and even though I play drums, some bass guitar and sing....I will refrain from ever doing this song. It is not one that I would be able to pull off and it is well out of my pitiful vocal range.

I like it done just straight forward, but seems like each singer has to put their "mark" on it by adding notes and tonal inflection that do not do it justice.

My advice to those who attempt to sing this song. Just SING it and don't try to alter it from the original.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

I loved it.

Rich

Quote Originally Posted by JoJoGunn View Post
    I like it done just straight forward, but seems like each singer has to put their "mark" on it by adding notes and tonal inflection that do not do it justice.

My advice to those who attempt to sing this song. Just SING it and don't try to alter it from the original.
    To me it almost seems like altering the flag and flying your own version of the Stars And Stripes.

I could be wrong but I can't recall ever hearing anything similar being done to the anthems of any other countries. Our anthem isn't a great piece of music but it's ours and I suppose it ought to be given at least as much respect as is given La Marseillaise, God Save The Queen, or Das Deutschlandlied.

Quote Originally Posted by wmhawth View Post
    To me it almost seems like altering the flag and flying your own version of the Stars And Stripes.

I could be wrong but I can't recall ever hearing anything similar being done to the anthems of any other countries. Our anthem isn't a great piece of music but it's ours and I suppose it ought to be given at least as much respect as is given La Marseillaise, God Save The Queen, or Das Deutschlandlied.
    Not sure about other's Anthem's, but I'm fairly certain it's been done.

As for it being "our" Anthem, the lyrics, penned by Francis Scott Key while witnessing the bombardment of Ft. McHenry during the War of 1812, are original. The melody however was a "borrowed English drinking song" To Anacreon in Heaven so we have mixed original lyrics with recycled melody.

Still, altering the National Anthem to "fit" your personality or way of singing isn't cool in my book. If it ain't broke, don't attempt to fix it.
    Last edited by JoJoGunn; October 3rd, 2012 at 03:45 PM.
    FLArmadillo and wmhawth like this.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

I'm with Timmy, I wasn't too sure of it at first...... and I'm of the 'don't alter it' crowd...... but they did it pretty good. I enjoyed hearing it.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

I reside in the camp that doesn't believe anyone should alter the flag or the National Anthem. With that having been said...

I liked the version they did. It sounded good. More importantly it is stirring up patriotism at a time when it is badly needed. So I give these guys two thumbs up for patriotism and pride in country!

My favorite version; I don't have a recording of it for playback , so I can only describe the experience to you. Some years ago I was doing announcements and game calling for a local football league. I had a talent I was completely unaware of and according to all the fans I was very good at it.

My oldest daughter at the time was ten years old. She approached me one day, and in a very serious voice, asked me if she could sing the Star Spangled Banner over the sound system. I explained to her that it is a very difficult song to sing. But she refused to give up. She continued to ask me for the next three weeks. Daddys are known for giving in to their little princess and I am no exception. She had never had any voice lessons and even though I was afraid she would embarass herself in front of a lot of people, I just couldn't say no.

The crowd gave her a respectful silence and she began to sing. Her tonal quality was amazing. The notes and the pitch were perfect, even when she hit Land of the free. There wasn't a dry eye in the stadium as the crowd roared and clapped their approval. There was no one more proud than I was that day with the roar of the crowd in my ears and tears streaming down my face.

My only regret was that it wasn't recorded. Of course when I close my eyes I can still see my little ten year old girl standing in the middle of the football field in her yellow sundress, a breeze blowing through her long brown hair, singing the National Anthem.

Thanks for letting me share this moment in time.
    A proud Father.
    joker1, JoJoGunn, Sontag and 3 others like this.

Serve my country, swear an oath to protect it, pay my taxes, fly old glory in the front yard, love and protect my family, honor the vets before me and help fellow americans in need.
    By definition my country now calls me a radical

VIP Member
    I reside in the camp that doesn't believe anyone should alter the flag or the National Anthem. With that having been said...

I liked the version they did. It sounded good. More importantly it is stirring up patriotism at a time when it is badly needed. So I give these guys two thumbs up for patriotism and pride in country
    Well said. I completely agree.

One thing I liked about this version was the fire and intensity. When I think about our still standing flag during the British shelling I feel both pride and anger. I think this version of the song makes me feel the same emotions.

After hearing it for the second time I'm a little fired up. I feel like punching someone in the mouth and taking my country back.
    JoJoGunn, Brad426, joker1 and 1 others like this.

That was bad arse......I am still proud to be an American....Nuff said...
    joker1 likes this.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links