Farm life update. - Page 2

Farm life update.

This is a discussion on Farm life update. within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I was sitting on the front porch yesterday thinking how so many people never see the gifts even when they're right in front of them. ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree38Likes

Thread: Farm life update.

I was sitting on the front porch yesterday thinking how so many people never see the gifts even when they're right in front of them. I retired in a small town where American values still exist.

I hope you get your deer this season. I'm going to hunt firearm and bow this year. Nothing like corn-fed venison, vegetables form the garden with fresh milk and ice cream for dessert that we made on the front porch.

God Bless America!
    atctimmy likes this.

Serve my country, swear an oath to protect it, pay my taxes, fly old glory in the front yard, love and protect my family, honor the vets before me and help fellow americans in need.
    By definition my country now calls me a radical

Distinguished Member Array kapnketel's Avatar
    Is this you?

atctimmy, Glhadiator and oakchas like this.
    I'd rather be lucky than good any day

There's nothing that will change someone's moral outlook quicker than cash in large sums.

Majority rule only works if you're also considering individual rights. Because you can't have five wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for supper.

VIP Member
    ^^^^^ Funny.

Water water water water yeah!

Next spring I plan on adding a couple beef feeder steers into the mix. But I need to mend some fences and get a working water supply up and running before then. That's the next big thing.

OD*
    Life is good.

Congrats, Timmy.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    OP, that sounds wonderful. I only wish I could afford to move to the foothills further north. A couple of acres of my own would be nice.

The only way you know it's fall in S. FL is by all the traffic heading south on the interstates. Spring is when they head back north.
    OD* likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

VIP Member
    I spent 20 years flying in and out of airports and wearing a suit. The money was great and the work was literally killing me.

Now my blood pressure is naturally low, and I wear jeans every day to work. I usually get to get dirty at least two days a week, and look for any excuse I can, to get on the tractor.

I believe that this is the life that God intended for me and my family. Congrats on finding your place, Timmy.
    atctimmy and pgrass101 like this.

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    My doctor says my bloodwork is perfect, better than most 20 year olds (60 and chloresteral - 131). Now if that perfect blood would work it's way down to my knees, my back, my shoulder, my...
    OD*, WHEC724, atctimmy and 1 others like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

VIP Member
    We don't regret moving from the Northern suburbs of Detroit to where we have been since 1993.
    Had two kids then, had two more since, and the only thing that is a pain is the gas prices.

Take care Oliver, give Lisa our best..............

Green Acres Theme Song
    I would rather die with good men than hide with cowards
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.
    Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy."

M&Pc .357sig, 2340Sigpro .357sig

I wish I could be doing the same thing, but we waited too long to sell the house (wife's idea...now she sees what I wanted to do).
    Congrats on the move that seems to be working out very well for you.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Timmy... Glad you like it... I love country livin'. I'm gonna miss it something fierce, if we retire to a development... or a condo... gah!...

But, I must admit... there is a tremendous amount of work to do.. and much of it doesn't get done... There's always tomorrow... I guess.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by oakchas View Post
    Timmy... Glad you like it... I love country livin'. I'm gonna miss it something fierce, if we retire to a development... or a condo... gah!...

But, I must admit... there is a tremendous amount of work to do.. and much of it doesn't get done... There's always tomorrow... I guess.
    One of our problems is that the folks who owned before us couldn't keep up as they got older. I'm fixing problems that should have been fixed years ago. The farm is nice but it's a bit run down. The reason we got such a good price was because nobody else could afford to fix it back up.

We are having our kitchen remodeled this winter (January..ish) and it's one of the things I'm not going to do myself. I'm going to pay a pro to do it so I don't really count it as work "I" need to do.

Distinguished Member Array kapnketel's Avatar
    I'm not sure where you are at, but my future son in law's family in central KY hire Mennonites to come in and do their kitchen. The made all the cabinets custom and it looks beautiful. Very reasonable, less than ordering cabinets. Just a thought.
    I'd rather be lucky than good any day

There's nothing that will change someone's moral outlook quicker than cash in large sums.

Majority rule only works if you're also considering individual rights. Because you can't have five wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for supper.

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    One of our problems is that the folks who owned before us couldn't keep up as they got older. I'm fixing problems that should have been fixed years ago. The farm is nice but it's a bit run down. The reason we got such a good price was because nobody else could afford to fix it back up.

We are having our kitchen remodeled this winter (January..ish) and it's one of the things I'm not going to do myself. I'm going to pay a pro to do it so I don't really count it as work "I" need to do.
    Most of the stuff our successors will have to deal with are the pastures and fences... the house, barn, and buildings are very good...

Just put 3 new garage doors on my pole building garage always had a dirt floor :( ...

Have an 800# psf floor in my barn's hay loft. Could be used as a MIL dwelling (~900 SF) if you wanted to plumb and further electrify it... already has 100 amp new service and wiring.. and a hydrant in the stall area (basement) of the barn has 4 nice horse stalls on one side, and a grooming area on the other with a small tack room.

Home is designed to be up to 6 bedroom... or could be divided into three apartments for a "doubling up" SHTF scenario... This winter I'll be putting in the last full bath for a total of 4...

If we stay more than another year... next summer/fall... I'll be clearing the pastures... and fixing those fences..

But then... if it don't sell. God wants us here for some reason.. we'll wait on Him.
    atctimmy likes this.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Senior Moderator
    I enjoy reading about your farm Timmy even if it does give me a twinge of envy
    A real man loves his wife, and places his family as the most important thing in life. Nothing has brought me more peace and content in life than simply being a good husband and father.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links