James Bond's PPK was "junk"

This is a discussion on James Bond's PPK was "junk" within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Hmmm, okay I was reading about Fleming On Wikipedia Guns of James Bond Which had this little gem In a December 1964 interview with Playboy ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: James Bond's PPK was "junk"

Senior Moderator
    Hmmm, okay I was reading about Fleming

On Wikipedia Guns of James Bond

Which had this little gem
    In a December 1964 interview with Playboy Magazine Fleming admitted that he was not an expert in the field and “Quite honestly, the whole question of expertise in these matters bores me. Obviously, I want to know the facts. If a Gaylord holster is better than a Berns-Martin, I want to know about it, but there is where my interest rather ends." The reference would be to the holsters of Chic Gaylord, a well-known holster maker of the period who in fact DID make shoulder holsters to suit Fleming's choice of pistol for Bond, the Walther PPK
    Sometimes I wonder who the old man in the mirror is....

Lord, Grant me a good sword and no need to use it.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    We're suppose to listen to a former writer for the Washington Post word on guns? That's like listening to Madonna giving a talk on virginity!
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

OD*
    If you've read the books, Fleming actually was pretty ignorant when it came to firearms. Stephen Hunter has written some of the best books for gun enthusiast in years (the Bob Lee Swagger series)

Point of Impact
    Dirty White Boys
    Black Light
    Hot Springs
    Pale Horse Coming
    American Gunfight: The Plot to Kill President Truman – and The Shoot-out That Stopped It
    The 47th Samurai
    Night of Thunder

Stephen Hunter is a Pulitzer Prize-winning former Washington Post critic and author.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

JD
    Administrator
    If I recall, Flemming asked for advice from a Brit soldier of some sort and that genleman urged him to issue a revolver to 007. In the books didn't Bond start off with a .25 or a .32???

Sent via Tapatalk, and still using real words.

Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    If I recall, Flemming asked for advice from a Brit soldier of some sort and that genleman urged him to issue a revolver to 007. In the books didn't Bond start off with a .25 or a .32???

From my understanding, the PPK Bond carried was a 7.65, or .32 ACP. As he was British, and working for MI6, they would have used the European designation. I'm always amused at people that assume that he would have used a .380.
    There are four boxes to be used in the defense of liberty: soap - ballot - jury - ammo

“The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie: deliberate, continued, and dishonest; but the myth: persistent, persuasive, and unrealistic.”
    -- John F. Kennedy

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Quote Originally Posted by matthew03 View Post
    Didn't Han state that the Lightsaber was obsolete?

Just saying. By the way Fleming was OSS.
    OSS was American predecessor of the CIA. Fleming was British MI5 or MI6, whatever they had in WWII.
    Retired USAF E-8. Avatar is OldVet from days long gone. Oh, to be young again.
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    OSS was American predecessor of the CIA. Fleming was British MI5 or MI6, whatever they had in WWII.
    You are correct sir:

Ian Fleming - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    While working in British Naval Intelligence during Second World War, Fleming was involved in the planning stages of Operation Mincemeat and Operation Golden Eye. He was also involved in the planning and oversight of two intelligence units, 30 Assault Unit and T-Force. His wartime service and his career as a journalist provided much of the background, detail and depth of the James Bond novels.
    There are four boxes to be used in the defense of liberty: soap - ballot - jury - ammo

“The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie: deliberate, continued, and dishonest; but the myth: persistent, persuasive, and unrealistic.”
    -- John F. Kennedy

I think Bond had the .25 Beretta....Flemming used a .25 Browning during WWII so that may have influenced his choice.

Quote Originally Posted by 3wggl View Post
    I think Bond had the .25 Beretta....Flemming used a .25 Browning during WWII so that may have influenced his choice.
    At some point he switched to the PPK, and that was the point at which he moved to the 7.65 Browning caliber.

I think. It should be noted that I've never read the books, I'm going off historical info on the PPK that I've picked up over the years

-- John F. Kennedy

JD
    Administrator

This is what I was thinking of:

Letters of Note: May I suggest that Mr. Bond be armed with a revolver?

VIP Member

I believe it was the Beretta 418, in .25. Then went to the Walther PPK .32ACP.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

PPK criticism

I've owned a .380 Walther PPK for about 14 years and have put maybe 1000 rounds through it. Once in awhile I have carried it. I don't really agree with this writer's criticism of the gun. My evaluation is:

1. Trigger pull - the first DA pull is a little heavier than I like, but the subsequent SA pull is very good.
    2. Accuracy - the gun is surprisingly accurate, and has small but useful sights.
    3. Recoil - the recoil is not bad at all, and certainly less than lighter weight .380 guns.
    4. Sharp slide edge - I have never received a slide cut while shooting the gun. I think this depends on the configuration of your hand and how you hold the gun.
    5. Concealability - first rate, the gun is small and slim, and conceals very easily.
    6. Looks - a very attractive gun.
    7. Quality of construction - very well made, typical of Walther.
    Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

Ah, the Washington Post. It, along with the New York Times, remains one of the last bastions of unobjective truth.

They are where I get my firearms reviews.

In truth, I am surprised that they had a story like that at all, much less have a true "expert" on staff.

Had I a PPK while still a lawman it would have been one of my backup choices.
    As I recall, (removes stetson) Skeeter Skelton (replaces Stetson) carried one as a backup.
    German police carried it as their primary sidearm and I believe it was also German military issue during the second disagreement.
    Has to have something going for it ...
    "Deine Papieren bitte?" or "ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ !"
    (Choose only one)
    NRA Endowment Member
    "I bark at no man's bid. I will never come and go, and fetch and carry, at the whistle of the great man in the White House no matter who he is." -- David Crockett

Administrator
    The DA pull can be lightened up if desired. The SA pull is usually quite crisp & sweet.
    Very good accuracy due to fixed barrel.
    Fairly heavy for the magazine capacity & caliber.
    Break the sharp edges on the slide...that is a quick 15 Minute "fix" of the bite issue.
    Some folks without good hand strength have a difficult time operating the slide.
    You can safely move to a lighter recoil spring weight without beating up the gun.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links