Complaining about negative news reports.

This is a discussion on Complaining about negative news reports. within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; We all have seen the folks who seem so upset when something bad is reported about their pet groups. The why do we never hear ...

Like Tree9Likes
  • 1 Post By mlr1m
  • 2 Post By GeorgiaDawg
  • 3 Post By DaGunny
  • 3 Post By Dono

Thread: Complaining about negative news reports.

We all have seen the folks who seem so upset when something bad is reported about their pet groups. The why do we never hear about all the good things cops do. Why we never hear about the children saved by government regulations. Why all the doom and gloom on TV news.

Lets be honest now. How many of you would turn the channel during a news broadcast about a town destroyed by tornadoes and try to find one reporting on the towns the tornado missed? Does telling me about the dogs that do not bite or the cops that are good in any way help me protect myself from the dangerous ones?

Michael
    BenGoodLuck likes this.

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    Sex and bad news sells. Call it our morbid fascination. Warm fuzzies might feel good, but cold pricklies get your attention.

I do hear good news on the media, but there's not a lot of it; perhaps because there's a lot more bad news to be had.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Senior Member Array GeorgiaDawg's Avatar
    "People are basically good" and "good things should happen to good people" are two mantras that I believe most people live by. Therefore, when an event happens that violates these two principles, it becomes newsworthy
    mlr1m and BenGoodLuck like this.
    "For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast." - Ephesians 2:8-9

“The purpose of the law is not to prevent a future offense, but to punish the one actually committed” - Ayn Rand

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Sex and bad news sells. Call it our morbid fascination. Warm fuzzies might feel good, but cold pricklies get your attention.

I do hear good news on the media, but there's not a lot of it; perhaps because there's a lot more bad news to be had.
    I tend to believe that overall good deeds are more common than bad ones. Thus the reason for not reporting them. Its not news if it is ordinary or normal. Other than making someone feel warm and fuzzy it serves not purpose to notify everyone about it.
    On the other hand it is handy to know about the bad things so that we can learn how to avoid them. Would you rather be warned by the local news about the bridge that is out, or would you prefer to hear a news story about one that is in good shape?

Michael

"If it bleeds, it leads" ~ mantra for every news outlet
    KNOWLEDGE: A tomato is a fruit.
    WISDOM: Not putting a tomato in a fruit salad.

"The bubble headed bleach blonde come on at five, She'll tell you about the plane crash with a gleam in her eye..... It's dirty laundry."

Quote Originally Posted by Dono View Post
    "The bubble headed bleach blonde come on at five, She'll tell you about the plane crash with a gleam in her eye..... It's dirty laundry."
    It can also be useful to know if you are trying to decide which airlines to fly with tomorrow.

Michael

I have tickets to Cozumel for October 20th.......guess which airline.

Anne Murray sang a song "Little Good News Today."

It was lamanting about all the bad news that has been spouted out. But, like others have said, good news doesn't sell or get attention. Bad does.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

VIP Member
    No matter where you go, there you are:
    The Beatles-A Day In The Life (2009 Remaster) - YouTube
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

I agree that the news is mostly negative, because that's what sells, but there are plenty of alternative news sites online that report positive stuff. You can choose what to watch. I basically don't even read or watch the news anymore.
    Ben

Cogito, ergo armatum sum. I think, therefore I am armed. (Don Mann, The Modern Day Gunslinger; the ultimate handgun training manual)

I've stopped watching the news completely. Can't stand it. I do still pop on a couple news apps first thing in the morning to check local headlines and if anything major happened nationally - do a quick scan and read a couple things but that's it. The only reason I even do that is many years ago when I lived in S FL, I was scheduled to fly home to VA the next day to see my folks, I always flew ValueJet back then. I was talking to my mom on the phone and she asked if I was scared to fly home - I laughed and asked why on earth would I be (I come from a family of FAA people) and she said because of the plane crash in the Everglades... Even living down there, I had no idea. Living with my head in the sand isn't the best option either, so I do now read a bit of news, and goodness knows if anything big happens I'll hear about it on Facebook anyway, but I just can't stand the news anchors and all the hype and drama.

Sponsored Links