US POW's in N Korea???

US POW's in N Korea???

This is a discussion on US POW's in N Korea??? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I have this 83 year old friend that is a Korean war vet and he keeps up on happenings with his group and he related ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: US POW's in N Korea???

Exclamation US POW's in N Korea???

I have this 83 year old friend that is a Korean war vet and he keeps up on happenings with his group and he related this story to me the other day...

According to one of his Marine Buddy's an Australian friend was recently in N Korea on an contract job when along side his bus he sees a group of workers in a ditch... The bus stops for him to look at the project and as he is looking around and making notes one of the guys comes over by him and talks on the down low.

He explains how he was a US solder and was captured during the Korean conflict and was kept as a POW after the end. The Aussie pretended to have his attention elsewhere but was taking detailed notes as the guy spoke to him. As he continued on he was told there were multiple US POW's still alive and being held used as slave labor, and the guy proceeded to give name, rank, serial number of himself as well as several other men in the group.

After this encounter he kept quiet about the incident, but as soon as he returned to Australia he turned his story and notes to the US consulate in Sidney, and nothing was done.

Has anyone else heard of this and if this is true why hasn't anything been done about it???
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century

Distinguished Member Array VBVAGUY's Avatar
    Wow that is an incredible story and I do not doubt that there are still some POW's being held in N. Koreaagsint their will. Problem is that N. Korean government will more than likely deny it, but one day the truth will come out. Just like they finally admitted in kidnapping Japanese citizens and forcing them to teach and train their people. I just pray that some how some way all of those POW's go home real soon alive to be with their families. God Bless

Likewise, I don't doubt the North Koreans kept American POWs after the shooting stopped, but the rest of the story seems a bit of a stretch. A young GI that was 17 when the shooting stopped in 1953 would be 76 years old now. The NKs hardly have food to feed themselves, let alone aging American POWs.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    Likewise, I don't doubt the North Koreans kept American POWs after the shooting stopped, but the rest of the story seems a bit of a stretch. A young GI that was 17 when the shooting stopped in 1953 would be 76 years old now. The NKs hardly have food to feed themselves, let alone aging American POWs.
    That's what I was thinking also.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

There may still be some American soldiers in North Korea although they would be aged and few. The "War" came to a halt in 1953 and the unaccounted for MIA's that would have been in the North most likely would not have lived very long if they were used as captured labor.

Not to dispute this, but the gap of 59 years could make a difference in how many POW's of the Korean War survived. Maybe for a decade or two but this long would be a stretch.

There were also rumors that some of the downed U.S. pilots were taken from North Korea to the Soviet Union where they were interrogated on their equipment and training so that Soviet pilots could learn how to deal with our tactics, and once their usefulness was done they were sent to labour camps, or executed. The Soviets did not like us very much in the 1950's to say the least. Some of our good Airmen shot down Soviet pilots in the War, who had "volunteered" to fly MiG 15's painted with N. Korean emblems. They could tell the Korean pilots apart from the Soviets easily.

As much as I'd like to believe POW's remain in N.Korea, it is very unlikely. Even in Viet-Nam the likelyhood of surviving POW's is getting slim to none.

Yet, we would all like to know what happend to those missing U.S. service men. Perhaps some day we will.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    I heard that American POWs from Bataan are still woring in the Mitzubishi factories in Japan...

Oh, Yeah? Prove me wrong.
    Hopyard and atctimmy like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

I swear I just read this on another board...

EDIT: Now I see that it is posted by the same person. So, I'm not crazy. I thought it was just another internet fable... Carry on!

Back when the KGB and Soviet Union folded..... it was found that several American POW's had been held there following WWII, and never released. Especially since Russia was supposed to be an ally in the war. At that time, the Russians even gave them names and locations of many that were still alive...... and they went and talked to at least some of them. They were told by those that they did talk to that they did not want to return to the USA, because the USA had forgotten them and left them, and they had no interest in returning to a country that didn't care about them. The US Govt decided not to pursue it further, and that it might stir up anger and more wounds, when they wanted to improve Russian & USA relations.

Would you find the same thing in No Korea, I have no doubts that you would. Back in those times, they didn't really check that well for POW's, etc. and you are talking about a country where there was never any peace accord, as technically...... the war there never "officially" ended.
    Last edited by Eagleks; October 8th, 2012 at 06:48 PM.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

In most cases and believing the N Koreans wouldn't care if they worked a POW to death,I don't think under those conditions they would have lived this long
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    Perhaps if you could give us the name rank and serial number of the soldier? Or perhaps someone up the chain of this story was interested in providing such information to the main stream or alternative media...
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    Apparently Australians are able to work in North Korea. I'm betting Americans not so much. This would be a way for the US intelligence community to get a toehold in though, just don't break accent!

Expat Guide for working and living in North Korea | InterNations.org
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Sheldon...tried sending you a PM...inbox is full.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

I cleaned up my in box but someone sent me these links that verify it....

US lawmaker seeks Korean War prisoners repatriation

War still raging for South Korean POWs in North | Reuters
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century

Quote Originally Posted by Sheldon J View Post
    I cleaned up my in box but someone sent me these links that verify it....

US lawmaker seeks Korean War prisoners repatriation

War still raging for South Korean POWs in North | Reuters
    When I was in China, and only about 60-80 miles from the northern border of N. Korea and China...... they (different Chinese.. ) told me purely on the QT, that numerous American and English soldiers that were prisoners were taken into China, and interrogated, kept, etc. So, that's one reason they may not want to admit where they are , or were taken.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

There is nothing worse than a family not knowing what happened to their loved one in a war zone.I would not give N. Korea any aid as far as food etc. until they released all known POW's to return to their families,the sad thing is that they will have missed out on most of what should have been a life in their Home Countries.
    There comes a time after hostilities have ended that all POW's should be reunited with their Countries,even the ones that died in captivity
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links