This trespassing fisherman welcome here any time.

This is a discussion on This trespassing fisherman welcome here any time. within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Awesome! I too had never witnessed an American Bald Eagle in the wild until a couple years ago. We have some wetlands up WV St ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: This trespassing fisherman welcome here any time.

Awesome!

I too had never witnessed an American Bald Eagle in the wild until a couple years ago. We have some wetlands up WV St Rt. 2 where a couple of them have been spotted along with some Osprey's.

I was going to a musical gig, driving up St. Rt. 2 when I saw a Bald Eagle floating on thermals above the road. It just nearly took my breath away. In all my then 54 years, I had never saw one in the wild. They tell me that a nesting pair is near those wetlands farther on up the road.

Of course, I was driving, had no camera and didn't know it was an Eagle until I got directly underneath, so you will just have to take my word for it.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

2. Remove Ads

Majestic creature. There are quite a few bald eagles up here in the Pacific Northwest. For a real treat head to the Skagit River during one of the salmon runs. You can see dozens (like this guy) at once. Panoramio - Photo of Eagles roost

Alternatively, you could head up to Dutch Harbor, AK... Panoramio - Photos of the World
    LongRider likes this.
    GGs
    BGs

”Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”

My wife and I camp full time along the Potomac River in West Virginia from April to November. Eagles have been making a come back we see them everyday. Once we were just drifting in our pontoon boat when an Eagle dove in the river (about 15' from us) to get a fish.
    I never get tired of seeing them.
    Member:USCCA, NRA, GOA, WVCDL
    U.S. Navy vet 1955-1959, USS Dashiell DD 659. Glock 19, Ruger LCP, Ruger .357 Mag.
    When you are at the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on.

You may luck out PPK...they pair up for life..where there's one, most often theres another...I never get tired of watching...and they are not brooding so the chickens and ducks are safe, with the river carrying easy meals of spawned out salmon the eagles are watching for fish...not feathers

Quote Originally Posted by ppkheat View Post
    Today I saw this one sitting up in this snag tree and drove out in the pasture nearby, zoomed the iPhone and took this picture before he flew away.
    YOU SUCK
    I have lived on this property for over a decade. During the salmon run we will see as many as thirteen eagles soaring to swoop up the spawning salmon in the river below us. We have spent hours watching the eagles and red tail hawks soar, play and mate. I even invested in decent Nikon DSLR and a three figure telescopic lens but the instant I even think about taking a pic they all disappear and all I end up with is
    _DSC2499.jpg
    H104.jpg

Very nice pic... I jealous in case you didn't notice
    ppkheat likes this.
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

VIP Member
    Nice picture. Eagles are incredible to watch. Their nests are huge too.

We have a few Bald Eagle's around the lake. Amazing bird to watch. However it will make you mad when you have been fishing all day for strippers,not have much luck and watch one of them swoop down and just pick one out of the water!!

I thought eagles rode Harleys and wore American flag bandanas. Thats cool though. I wish I could step outside and see things like that

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Quote Originally Posted by LongRider View Post
    YOU SUCK
    I have lived on this property for over a decade. During the salmon run we will see as many as thirteen eagles soaring to swoop up the spawning salmon in the river below us. We have spent hours watching the eagles and red tail hawks soar, play and mate. I even invested in decent Nikon DSLR and a three figure telescopic lens but the instant I even think about taking a pic they all disappear and all I end up with is
    _DSC2499.jpg
    H104.jpg

Is that Mt. St. Helens? Looks sort of "chopped topped."
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

This past summer I was paddling a canoe on a long narrow mountain lake trolling a couple lures and had a bald eagle fly past head on, as he went by I could see him checking me out. Must have figured I was no threat because a few minutes later he came from behind, I heard the splash and turned to see him with a trout and he was positioning it head forward to reduce the drag as he went by not 15 yards away. I would kill to have had a camera.

Quote Originally Posted by LongRider View Post
    YOU SUCK
    _DSC2499.jpg
    H104.jpg

You sure your not taking pictures of SQUATCHES,I hear that area is really Squatchy...LOL
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

We are fortunate enough to live close to the National Eagle Center in Wabasha, MN.

National Eagle Center, National Bald Eagle Center | The National Eagle Center - Wabasha, Minnesota

I would highly recommend a stop there if you are ever close by, amazing. They will take in injured eagles and rehabilitate them. They have an excellent presentation with live eagles, a very up close experience. When I first walked in, the wife and kids got hung up in the gift shop (the only tourist part is you have to walk thru the shop to get to the Eagle Center). Anyway, I walked into this open room and about 8 feet to my left was the biggest, most beautiful eagle statue I had ever seen. As my brain is processing this amazing sight for half a second I notice a lady standing next to the statue with a big leather glove...then the statue turned its head and looked right at me! Wow, I will never forget it. What an intimidating look at 8 feet! About that time my wife walked in and I pointed it out, same thing, took a second to even believe it was real. The kids got their picture, if I can turn it up I will post it here.

OK, I have talked too long! Just check it out if you ever have the chance.

Quote Originally Posted by Dandyone View Post
    Alternatively, you could head up to Dutch Harbor, AK... Panoramio - Photos of the World
    True that my Bro just came back from Alaska shooting eagle
    unknown-2.jpgunknown-3.jpgunknown-4.jpgunknown-5.jpgunknown-6.jpgunknown.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Is that Mt. St. Helens? Looks sort of "chopped topped."
    No those are the Olympic Mountains. Mt Saint Helens is on the opposite direction in the Cascades

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    You sure your not taking pictures of SQUATCHES,I hear that area is really Squatchy...LOL
    Positive though this is Sasquatch country the famous Sasquatch video was not taken not far from here. The Departments of Wildlife, Parks and Tourism are always getting calls asking if the area is safe from Sasquatch or where is the best place to see Sasquatch. Since "Twilight" same for Vampires and Werewolves. People are calling asking if it is really dangerous or where they can meet/see Vampires and Werewolves. Than folks wonder why one of my favorite bumper sticker says

"If it is Tourist Season Why Can't I Shoot Them?"
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

Bald eagles, golden eagles, osprey ... the big ones fishing and catching something are a sight to behold. It's good to see them making a come-back in many areas. Have had osprey within a few dozen yards grab fish out of the water. have seen bald eagles a few hundred yards away lifting good-sized salmon from the river. Beautiful to watch.

Haven't seen a condor in decades. Saw one in the 1970's, in the wild some distance away, but it was obvious it was several times the size of any hawk or vulture. It's a shock when first seen in the wild given how darned big they are. According to recent studies, the population of California Condors now exceeds 400.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

WI eagles

If any of you can get near Kakauhna Wi, there is a spot next to a paper mill and dam where the Eagles gather to fish in the winter (water stays open for a mile) Counted 35 sitting in trees last week.
    Politicians and diapers have one thing in common. They should both be changed regularly, and for the same reason.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links