Missed the coyote

This is a discussion on Missed the coyote within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Ugh... Yes. I missed. As we were finishing dinner tonight, I looked out my back window, and on the other side of the pond, about ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Missed the coyote

VIP Member

Missed the coyote

Ugh... Yes. I missed.

As we were finishing dinner tonight, I looked out my back window, and on the other side of the pond, about 150 yds out, is a coyote standing right out in the open.

It's legal to shoot from the back of my yard, but it's against the covenants, and my liberal neighbor is standing in his back yard, about 100 ft away, smoking a cigar.

I have my wife keep an eye on it, while I open the safe to select a rifle. The decision is between an AR with iron sights, a scoped and accurate .22LR, and a scoped and accurate 30-30. The 30-30 would be too dang loud, and 150 yds is the far end of its reach. The AR would be perfect, but again, too dang loud. I opt for the .22 and hold at about the tips of his ears but over his shoulders. The POI was down by his front feet and he was outta there.

I was shooting from under the stairs of my back porch, so my neighbor wouldn't see me, but I didn't realize that Mrs. Whec was standing on the back porch above me. I thought I would quietly slip in through the basement door, but then I hear her jumping up and down hollering "YOU ALMOST GOT IT"!.

Oh well, so much for discretion... Next time it'll be the AR and my neighbor can just complain about it.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    You just need more practice. I used to pop ground squirrels out in WA St. with a scoped .22 regularly at 100 yards. I took to using .22 shorts to make it more challenging. A coyote at 150 yards is doable, but don't plan on it dropping in its tracks. They ain't tough, but they can run like the devil.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

VIP Member
    Good suggestions. This also brings to light the latent need that I have for a designated rifle that's sighted in for 150, 200 & 300 yards. Traditionally, the property I hunt on doesn't have clearings over 100 yds, so I figure the 30-30 handles all my needs. However, this is the second coyote I've seen out back in the last few months.

Well, there's a gun show in town this weekend... I have some thinkun to do...

Better to have missed completely than to have, say, hit him in the leg. I know coyotes are varmints, but they still deserve to be taken humanely.

.22 Mag sounds like just the ticket!
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

VIP Member
    I missed them in the past as well.....it happens. However, about a year ago, I shot a coyote that had my cow herd bunched up. I used a scoped .22WMR from about 90 yds away. Entrance and exit wounds across his chest. He ran about 30 feet and was DRT.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Senior Member Array Phillep Harding's Avatar
    ATFE seems to have backed off on the, uhm, "enthusiastic" methods of enforcement they used under Clinton and Bush I. I think the senior management responsible moved over to TSA? Anyhow, no need to wave this under their noses and dare them to do something about it.

Besides, the suggested methods mess up the accuracy.

Now, a "sound box", large box lined with lots of sound absorbing material, is completely legal because it does not even touch the firearm.
    WHEC724 likes this.

VIP Member
    The gears, they are a spinnin'

VIP Member
    Don't break your subdivision rules. As much as I would like to see you hit the coyote, I don't want the liberal neighbor to have any fuel for his worthless ways.
    WHEC724 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by WHEC724 View Post
    The gears, they are a spinnin'
    Oh damn, there goes the neighborhood.
    WHEC724 likes this.
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MrBuckwheat View Post
    Don't break your subdivision rules. As much as I would like to see you hit the coyote, I don't want the liberal neighbor to have any fuel for his worthless ways.
    If I step to the rear of my lot line, I'm still on my land, but outside of the subdivision and clear to shoot. I just need to make it quiet out of courtesy, and as you say, to not provide "fuel for his worthless ways". Actually, he's a wonderful guy. He's just encumbered by a fear of firearms, fostered by the environment that he soaks in.

How does your neighbor feel about 4-legged predators in his back yard, what about his cat or miniature poodle? I know he probably doesn't believe in 2-legged predators (other than his neighbor) but have you tried explaining your position on the 4-legged predators in the area and if he would prefer to have you take them out before they get to his furry kids?
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by joker1 View Post
    How does your neighbor feel about 4-legged predators in his back yard, what about his cat or miniature poodle? I know he probably doesn't believe in 2-legged predators (other than his neighbor) but have you tried explaining your position on the 4-legged predators in the area and if he would prefer to have you take them out before they get to his furry kids?
    There you go applying logic to the illogical. The rely-on-government-services mindset thinks a call to animal control will transfer responsibility to solve the problem. Although it's odd, they won't hesitate to call me to come kill a water moccasin in their yard for them, but somehow a firearm terrifies them.

There you go applying logic to the illogical. The rely-on-government-services mindset thinks a call to animal control will transfer responsibility to solve the problem. Although it's odd, they won't hesitate to call me to come kill a water moccasin in their yard for them, but somehow a firearm terrifies them.
    You gotta try man.

Maybe you should tell him to man up and hand him the gun and tell which end to point at the snake.
    NRA Life Member

Do you point out the irony of their request?
    KNOWLEDGE: A tomato is a fruit.
    WISDOM: Not putting a tomato in a fruit salad.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DaGunny View Post
    Do you point out the irony of their request?
    The snake doesn't involve a loud "bang". I use a bush-ax and that's somehow a more civilized way of killing to them.

A long time ago, I quit trying to educate those who will not listen. I'll say it once, and then go on about my business.

Which, at the moment, is a long-reaching rifle and legally reducing its noise signature.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links