Tech savvy: what to do in a home invasion

This is a discussion on Tech savvy: what to do in a home invasion within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Not a joke, not humorous... A "tech talk" on what to do in a home invasion... Story here: http://www.technewsdaily.com/8221-ho...-invasion.html...

Like Tree9Likes
  • 1 Post By Mike1956
  • 1 Post By mulle46
  • 3 Post By pfries
  • 3 Post By mprp
  • 1 Post By bigmacque

Thread: Tech savvy: what to do in a home invasion

Not a joke, not humorous...

A "tech talk" on what to do in a home invasion...

Story here: http://www.technewsdaily.com/8221-ho...-invasion.html
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

VIP Member
    Call the fire department...Priceless
    Hopyard likes this.
    The hardest thing to explain is the glaringly evident which everybody had decided not to see.
    Ayn Rand

3. If it's legal in your state, arm yourself non-lethally.

"Have some pepper spray handy," Siciliano said. "It's a layer of protection in the event someone breaks in.
    :0
    Pepper spray as first choice for home invasion defense?
    bigmacque likes this.
    You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You are able to say to yourself, "I have lived through this horror. I can take the next thing that comes along." . . . You must do the thing you think you cannot do. Eleanor Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by mulle46 View Post
    No,

It is for after you use your SD gun,

so you can be crying, and exceptionally upset when you talk to the other officials on scene....
    Mors est libertas

MALAD JUSTED

I agreed with most of the stuff up until the fire dept. thing. Screwing up communications can and has resulted in people getting killed. Misusing that service just because they have sirens isn't too smart IMO. If you're going to plan ahead and use the author's advice on planning ahead then I think it's a better choice to arm yourself if you have LE that takes too long and not have to depend on a response time to save your life.

I'm not so sure I like his options if I am one who chose not to arm myself and my family. If we can all get out of the house then great! Then I don't care how long it takes for LE to show up. If I / we can't get out, then it's a good thing I armed myself. That's all I need is to have the death of a firefighter hanging over my head because I exploited a siren sound.

I can hear the conversation now.

Dispatch "911 what is your emergency?"

Homeowner "Uh, well, I'd like to report a home invasion but if they take too long just send the FD too 'cause I'ma gonna set this place afire."
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

"If you come home and there are lights on that you didn't leave on, if the door is ajar, if the glass on a window or door is broken don't go in."
    i came home to my door open once recently. and to be honest , what i did maybe wasn't smart. i cleared the house. with my sd gun. turns out my wife's mom had taken the kids to school that morning and not latched it. the cats got it open and were in my back yard. but my first response was just to walk in with my weapon drawn. sure, i am trained to do so, but there could have been 5 guys in there with more fight than i had bullets.

food for thought.
    My metal band: Born under Sirius

Glock 23, mic holster, clipdraw, abdominal carry.

Distinguished Member Array BigStick's Avatar
    Wow, call the fire department? Really?

While in general the article is cheesy, the expert they quoted is at least partially right, and on the right track:

"I am not for, or against, firearms. I am simply saying that you need to be properly trained in using a gun especially in the event of confrontation," Siciliano added. "It's not enough to have the gun and point and shoot. You need to know how to use it under duress."

He comes off as a little eliteist, but nobody will argue that you should get training if you are going to carry a gun.
    Walk softly ...

While the article's opinion on firearms is very ho-hum, at least it is not telling everyone to buy a shotgun because the racking sound will scare away any intruders.

In regards to the calling the fire department. They mentioned "It's not the most legal option, but it's an option." Which is way understated. Some states have penalties of jail time for unlawful use of 911. I'm sure it would be even worse if they hit someone going through an intersection or got injured by the home invaders while they entered your home. Suddenly your confrontation with a bad guy or two turns into 6 months or more of living with them because you didn't take responsibility for your own safety.
    Your number one Option for Personal Security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation. - Rule #23 in the USMC rules for gunfighting.

I think they want you to call the fire department because if you are unarmed and they cut your throat, the paramedics will have a head start on the detectives headed there to seal off the crime scene.

Quote Originally Posted by wingryder View Post
    I think they want you to call the fire department because if you are unarmed and they cut your throat, the paramedics will have a head start on the detectives headed there to seal off the crime scene.
    The only problem I see with this is... the paramedics won't enter the scene until the police have secured it.
    This does come from past experiences as an EMT and firefighter in Michigan. So you'll be stuck waiting for the police regardless...
    Mors est libertas

MALAD JUSTED

sorry, I was just being facetious. I guess that didn't come across.

Quote Originally Posted by wingryder View Post
    sorry, I was just being facetious. I guess that didn't come across.
    Now, now I did throw a little fact in but you still got the obligatory ...
    Mors est libertas

MALAD JUSTED

I did read an article they had with ten home safety tips. One was to attach your "hidden house key" to your dog's collar. Not a terrible idea, I guess.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Distinguished Member Array bigmacque's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mulle46 View Post
    3. If it's legal in your state, arm yourself — non-lethally.

"Have some pepper spray handy," Siciliano said. "It's a layer of protection in the event someone breaks in.
    :0
    Sarcasm duly noted ....

What a piece of dumb advice. What good is it going to do to use pepper spray when a BG comes into your turf with a gun, intent on killing you, raping your wife, and taking whatever's valuable?

Just dumb advice. Though I do like pfries comment about pepper spray .... so you can be crying when your backup gets on scene.
    mulle46 likes this.
    I'm in favor of gun control -- I think every citizen should have control of a gun.
    1 Thess. 5:16-18

Links