So tired - Need some help.

This is a discussion on So tired - Need some help. within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Drop the zinc. You may be overdosing on it. Caffeine could also be doing you in....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree34Likes

Thread: So tired - Need some help.

Senior Member Array Phillep Harding's Avatar
    Drop the zinc. You may be overdosing on it.

Caffeine could also be doing you in.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array bigmacque's Avatar
    You've already received a lot of good advice here, all I could do is reiterate some of the above.

My first guess would be thyroid; I've taken a thyroid stimulating steroid for 20 years now, after exhibiting many of the same symptoms. But ... I also know from experience that you can check the blood sugar thing easily: when you start to feel that slump, eat an apple. If you come up out of the slump then blood sugar is likely playing a key role here. The best defense / offense for low blood sugar is a change in diet habits that includes cutting out simple sugars and replacing them with complex carbohydrates, and also eating smaller meals but more of them, or at least a good sized snack in between smaller meals.
    I'm in favor of gun control -- I think every citizen should have control of a gun.
    1 Thess. 5:16-18

Get your vitamins from real food - fresh, minimize the 'prepared' foods. Drop the energy drinks ASAP.

Likely culprits are all the suggestions already posted: unrestful sleep (sleep apnea), thyroid function, plus liver function. Get to the doc soon and get checked!
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Administrator
    Don't take the Magnesium and Calcium in the morning. Take those two before bed. They help promote better sleep.
    I also agree that computer burn out is a possibility.
    You really should try to get to the bottom of it with your Doctor.
    There are just so many possibilities.
    I knew somebody that was radically affected by the fluorescent lights in his workplace.

Also you do know that it's possible to toss your system off balance with too many vitamins?
    Something called hyper-vitamintosis.

Try canning all of the supplemental vitamins and just go for a protein drink like ENSURE that just contains the minimum daily requirement.

Skip the Mountain Dew and instead try half all natural fruit juice - like 100% grape juice and half sparkling water or club soda.
    Rock and Glock and pgrass101 like this.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

All great advice. Get a total 100% physical, including the nuclear stress test. I was a computer/desk bound coffee junkie that didn't get enough of the right kind of exercise, and didn't sleep good. A heart attack and triple bypass surgery is all it took to get me back in shape. Don't wait like I did.

Distinguished Member Array Arborigine's Avatar
    "5 hour energy" is basically a huge dose of B vitamins. It works when used occasionally, but when used daily keeps your body overdosed and loses any "pick up" effect. It's better for you than all the caffeine based ones, (guarana, Taurine, etc) but not a good idea for regular use. If it acts like speed in your body, it IS speed and has to be filtered out by your liver and kidneys. I carry a bottle of "5 hour" on my bike for an emergency type situation (like getting drowsy in the South Western deserts at hour 15) on my extreme distance motorcycle rides, but it has been more than 5 years since i opened one. If you can't make it through an average work day without stimulants beyond two coffees, something is wrong.
    Last edited by Arborigine; October 12th, 2012 at 01:05 PM.
    QKShooter, Glhadiator and Hopyard like this.
    I don't always have nothing to say, but when I do, I post it on Facebook.

Lots of things ;

* thyroid function
    * sugar levels and fluctuations
    * chronic fatigue syndrone.
    * allergies
    * sleep apnea
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Quote Originally Posted by Arborigine View Post
    "5 hour energy" is basically a huge dose of B vitamins. It works when used occasionally, but when used daily keeps your body overdosed and loses any "pick up" effect. It's better for you than all the caffeine based ones, (guarana, Taurine, etc) but not a good idea for regular use. If it acts like speed in your body, it IS speed and has to be filtered out by your liver and kidneys. I carry a bottle of "5 hour" on my bike for an emergency type situation (like getting drowsy in the South Western deserts) on my extreme distance motorcycle rides, but it has been more than 5 years since i opened one. If you can't make it through an average work day without stimulants beyond two coffees, something is wrong.
    heh...yeah. Like paying the bills being more important than sleep. I worked last Tues 8a-6p, took an hour break(which consisted of fast food on the way to the next site), worked 7p Tues to around 430a Wednesday, drove an hour home and crashed on the couch for about 2 hours, got back up and went back to work for my normal Wed shift. Then repeat that Thurs-Fri and here I am again the next Thurs ;-p. I'm on a hurry up and wait schedule tonight so I have an hour or so to burn.
    Needless to say, if you can pull this off with just 2 coffees...I officially bow to you.

eh..sorry rabbit trail - back to the OP, yeah... If you're work/daily schedule is normal you shouldn't be pumping yourself full of stimulants. Get off the 5 hours(I know...easier said than done) and go to the doc.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the **** out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Distinguished Member
    Take a little nap about 3PM. You'll be fine. Seriously, cut way back on the alky, if any (he says with an empty glass at hand). If you're increasingly weakeningly nauseous, it might be anemia. Don't ask for internet advice. You will get internet advice. Don't take internet advice. Don't take Xray's or anything. Take a little nap about 3PM.
    Americans understood the right of self-preservation as permitting a citizen to repel force by force
    when the intervention of society... may be too late to prevent an injury.
    -Blackstone’s Commentaries 145–146, n. 42 (1803) in District of Columbia v. Heller, 554 U.S. 570 (2008)

Bishkek, Kyrgyzstan; by way of St. Mayberry, GA
    Lots of great advice posted here so far...... best advice, see your saw-bones.

From my own experience (me, the wife and kids, dietictions, and doctors wagging their fingers at ALL of us) :
    1) diet. Check out all thoes supplements your injesting and wether or not you actually 'flushing' it all through your system with enough water or not. Good breakfast, OK..... then a 5-hour energy, and THEN coffee....and no lunch? Hypoglycemic or not, sounds like your crashing to me. Calories are needed to help with the caffiene. Water is a MUST. A small lunch is wonderful.....

2) nap after work. Your recharging from your crash (just guessing here)..... now you up for awhile and feeling 'better'. Exercise helps. (this SUCKS, I know. I'm a recently retired active duty service member.... I said I would NOT do all that running, jumping, and pucking EVER again! Now, 20lbs. later, I'm getting back in the 'game'. Exercise IS helpful!)

3) your body naturally 'crashes' around 2-4pm..... your right there (the rest of the planets population takes a siesta for a reason.....)

4) previous advice.... see the doc. A thyroid and blood-sugar check is in order. A thousand other things could ba, and are, at 'play' here. A doctor I ain't.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Distinguished Member Array Pro2A's Avatar
    I keep seeing the thyroid as a common problem. My dad has hyper thyroidism... It hit him around age 30. It's genetic, so I wonder if that is it.

Distinguished Member Array bigmacque's Avatar
    Of course, you could just be getting super bored around that time and need something to perk up your interests. There's always range time.
    I'm in favor of gun control -- I think every citizen should have control of a gun.
    1 Thess. 5:16-18

Without knowing your weight, activity level, specific diet, personal life, and a host of other factors it is impossible for anyone to suggest "drop the vitamins" or take these at this time. Sorry folks, but that is the way it is. THough it is true you can meet most of your RDA requirements for micronutrients without taking vitamins a host of factors are involved. And most likely folks recommending that do not keep a daily journal on their real intake of foods and how much nutrients are in them. As an example I eat 3500-4000 calories a day (very high activity level) most of it veggies and healthy meat substitutes and I monitor my intake of nutrients and I still have a hard time meeting certain requirements. (BTW:That is not becasue of the lack of meat)
    It is very hard to take too many supplements. The toxcitity level is extrememly high for most so taking the supplemts most likely are not an issue though might not be needed.
    One thing for sure is to drop the energy drink.
    If you can go for a walk at lunch time and eat light. If you need more info see your doc or a nutrionilist or a fitness trainer who has some knowledge of nutrition. I have my NASM certification but do not profess to have the knowledge of a nutrionislt.
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

...check your blood sugar level.
    What do you eat for lunch?
    LEARN something today so you can TEACH something tomorrow.
    Dominus Vobiscum <))>(
    Where is the wisdom that we have lost in knowledge?" T.S. Elliot

My advice is to see a Doctor. Anything I can tell you would be a pure guess, which isn't a diagnosis.

Serve my country, swear an oath to protect it, pay my taxes, fly old glory in the front yard, love and protect my family, honor the vets before me and help fellow americans in need.
    By definition my country now calls me a radical

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links