So tired - Need some help.

This is a discussion on So tired - Need some help. within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I need a little help here. You would figure I'd have more energy. I sleep on average 8 hours a night. Every morning I take ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree34Likes

Thread: So tired - Need some help.

Distinguished Member Array Pro2A's Avatar

So tired - Need some help.

I need a little help here. You would figure I'd have more energy. I sleep on average 8 hours a night. Every morning I take vitamin and mineral supplements. Vitamins B12,B1,B2,B6,A,C,D,E,K. Calcium, magnesium, potassium, iron, zinc and folic acid (some various others are mixed in my multi-vitamin). I'll take it with a glass of milk, a banana and a yogurt every morning. At work I'll have either a cup of coffee or a mountain dew. Around mid morning I take a 5 hour energy. About 3pm I hit the wall and can not keep awake I've taken the 5 hour earlier and I'm fine 5 hours later. It's always around 3 I hit that wall like someone drugged my lunch.

My job is about 80% paperwork/computer and about 20% physical. I feel great in the morning, but it's always about 3 I want to nap and can't keep my eyes open. As soon as I get home, I'm out like a light on the sofa. I figure with the right vitamin and nutrients in the morning and a nice healthy lunch every day I'd be fine in the afternoon. I can't figure it out. Anyone have any ideas? I'm 29 years old so you'd think I'd have more energy.

On a side note... About 7-8 pm I get that second wind and I'm wound up like a squirrel on crack and full of energy again.

2. Remove Ads

Sounds like you possibly have "sleep apnea"
    oneshot, IronMike and msgt/ret like this.

are you in shape?
    My metal band: Born under Sirius

Glock 23, mic holster, clipdraw, abdominal carry.

I had a vitamin D deficiency this caused all kinds of problems. One of them was not resting well even with 8 hours of sleep. I would be great in the morning. By 2 or 3 I couldn't keep my eyes open. After a few hours nap I was wired tight lol.
    Our House Is Protected By The Good Lord And A gun. You Might Meet Both Of Them If You Show Up Inside My House Uninvited.

Time to see the doc and have your thyroid function checked. there is a viral infection that can damage your thyroid gland without any other obvious symptoms. The thyroid is the major player in metabolism

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk 2

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Sarge View Post

^^^^^^I'm thinking along these lines^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Also, get your oxygen level in your blood checked..

You could also be getting computer screen burnout(too much staring at the screen)
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

VIP Member
    See a doc, and until you do, try NOT taking all those supplements you think should be helping you--especially
    the energy drink. You might be inadvertently doing yourself in by ingesting something in that drink.

I agree with the two comments about sleep apnea and thyroid, but there are probably 50 other conditions
    that could produce the same symptoms you are experiencing. Only a real doc ---the kind who completed medical
    school and is board certified in Family Medicine or Internal Medicine ---can help you.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

In my opinion, and it's just that as I'm no health or nutrition expert, it sounds as if you are overloading a bit with all those supplements, (what the heck is a "5 hour energy"?) You might try dropping some of that and just focus on nutritional meals and exercise. It sounds as if you are sleeping enough.

I'm retired now and my problem is I just can't sleep more than 5 or 6 hours a night. I think I should but I just don't feel tired.

Distinguished Member Array Pro2A's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Fausty View Post
    are you in shape?
    I'm not out of shape, but I'm no weight lifter.

I have suffered from "low blood sugar" levels my entire life. I drink coffee only in the morning, nibble protein snacks all day long, and rely on excercise as my source of energy.....AND DO NOT TOUCH SUGAR OR ALCOHOL. Alcohol is converted to sugar which makes your blood sugar level rise sharply, and when it peaks, it plummets straight into the abyss leaving you feeling like you could just go curl up in a corner and go to sleep. Sugar is the poison to the one with low blood sugar levels. Protein is your friend.

what you describe is a hypo-glycemic reaction to too much caffeine. Caffeine causes the same issues for those with low blood sugar that alcohol or sugar do and cause you to "hit the wall" and crash about four or five hours after intake. Lose the energy drink (caffeine masked with a few worthless vitamins) and limit your coffee intake. Switch to having a bottle of water on your desk.

....and get to the gym. You need to get the circulation moving.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Sarge View Post
    This^^^^^^.
    Do you snore? Does a significant other think you may stop breathing while sleeping?
    Do you sometimes/often wake up with headaches?
    Do you sometimes wake yourself up snoring/gasping for air?

When I found myself falling asleep at red lights at 2 or 3 in the afternoon is when I knew I needed to do something.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

Senior Moderator
    There are a ton of reasons for low energy. I just went to the doctor for this myself but my issue was being under weight.

Poor diet is a HUGE reason for lack of energy. What you eat, how often you eat it, etc, can have a huge impact on how you feel.

Anemia is another reason.

Thyroid condition.. sleep disorders... hormone levels and so much more.

Go see a doctor.

its not a tooma...
    sounds just like my apena.
    It is pardonable to be defeated but never surprised.
    2 Ruger alaskan .454s
    Ruger P95
    Rem 870
    Barrett .50BMG

Low T?

-- I don't always post from my mobile but when I do, I prefer Tapatalk.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

Get some cardio, eat alot of vegetables, real juices, and cut back on all the bs supplements and energy drinks.
    If you eat properly, your body will get all the nutrients it needs.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links