This guy is nuts!!! 120,000 foot or 23 mile jump

This is a discussion on This guy is nuts!!! 120,000 foot or 23 mile jump within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Originally Posted by bigjason6 I just can't see the logic in jumping out of a perfectly good aircraft. You have never seen the planes we ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: This guy is nuts!!! 120,000 foot or 23 mile jump

Quote Originally Posted by bigjason6 View Post
    I just can't see the logic in jumping out of a perfectly good aircraft.
    You have never seen the planes we jump out of. Some I don't even know how they get off the ground.

My first jump I had my left arm on a wire and the guy next to me said I shouldn't have my arm there. I asked why and he said that controls the tail. Lol!!

200 civy jumps / 93 airborne military jumps and I still love it!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Remove Ads

Funny that an energy drink has a better space program than our government does. That dude gets the big balls award for sure. I watched it live and was even applauding!! Something else I thought was funny......every command was "check" "check" "check" until they told him to unbuckle his seatbelt. They had to tell him twice.

Quote Originally Posted by bigjason6 View Post
    I just can't see the logic in jumping out of a perfectly good aircraft.
    True. I just dont consider a decked out beer can and helium balloon to be a perfectly good aircraft. This guy is what happens when the lawn-chair-helium balloon-redneck gets high dollar sponsorship. "hold ma beer! watch this!"

It really look like he was seriously tumbling for part of it, when I watched it live.

Stuff like this, plus those XPrize folk, make me think that this whole 'lets go to space' thing might kick up again. That would be nice.
    Our current plan for Universal Iron Lung coverage, just sayin'.
    Wisest. Retirement. Plan. Ever.
    Good thing the March of Dimes worked. How, why?

Alternately, for those with a tool shed, ideas, or creative loved ones to tell..

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Leave it to private enterprise. Don't need the government involved in wasteful spending.
    kb2wji likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Somewhere Near Lucky Ned Pepper's Hideout
    The amazing part was how quickly he gained speed in the super thin atmosphere, then abruptly stopped accelerating at 729 mph. Amazing. And a beautiful flared touchdown to boot! Great stuff.

Today, they said he was the first human being to break the sound barrier, and was measured up to speeds of 850 mph, and took a whole 9 minutes.

One heck of a ride for only 9 minutes.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Senior Member Array highvoltage's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Eagleks View Post
    Today, they said he was the first human being to break the sound barrier, and was measured up to speeds of 850 mph, and took a whole 9 minutes.

A little less than 850 mph:

Felix Baumgartner - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Total time from spacecraft to Earth was about 9 minutes, but only 4 minutes and 19 seconds of that was spent in freefall, 17 seconds short of the record. That was because he pulled at 5,000 feet in keeping with the plan.

9:33 video of it : Watch Felix Baumgartner shatter world record with 24-mile leap

includes showing him getting out of the capsule.

Look at top of it, shows the altitude (128,000) , etc.

as he exited his capsule in preparation for the historic jump at a height more than three times the average cruising altitude for jetliners, he flashed a thumbs-up sign. The Huffington Post reports, "Any contact with the capsule on his exit could have torn his pressurized suit, a rip that could expose him to a lack of oxygen and temperatures as low as minus-70 degrees. That could have caused lethal bubbles to form in his bodily fluids."
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Quote Originally Posted by highvoltage View Post
    A little less than 850 mph:

Felix Baumgartner - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Total time from spacecraft to Earth was about 9 minutes, but only 4 minutes and 19 seconds of that was spent in freefall, 17 seconds short of the record. That was because he pulled at 5,000 feet in keeping with the plan.
    I have to see it again but I beleive he pulled at 8K AGL (the plan was 5K). That difference of 3K would only have been about 15 seconds depending on many things.
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

Imagine Felix's surprise when he opened the hatch and stepped out onto the ledge and heard... "Hey Buddy, Got a peanut?"

jbum likes this.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

What I wanna know is, was he carrying?

What if he had been confronted with aliens of dubious character?

Just sayin'

Sent from my Galaxy S2
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Leave it to private enterprise. Don't need the government involved in wasteful spending.
    That was Burt Rutan's hope, and why he plans one selling tourist trips eventually.

edit: at 2:26 at that video link above, he really looks like he's tumbling. Yikes.
    Our current plan for Universal Iron Lung coverage, just sayin'.
    Wisest. Retirement. Plan. Ever.
    Good thing the March of Dimes worked. How, why?

Alternately, for those with a tool shed, ideas, or creative loved ones to tell..

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Quote Originally Posted by Eagleks View Post

Imagine what that 9-minute ride cost. I can see Disney jacking up its prices already!
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by Dono View Post
    Funny that an energy drink has a better space program than our government does. That dude gets the big balls award for sure. I watched it live and was even applauding!! Something else I thought was funny......every command was "check" "check" "check" until they told him to unbuckle his seatbelt. They had to tell him twice.
    That was also the point where you could hear his breathing increase. I didn't get to watch it live, but thankfully someone was nice enough to DVR it for me. Pretty cool, IMO. Leave it to Red Bull to put on all kinds of cool stuff.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links