Mmmmmm dinner - Page 2

Mmmmmm dinner

This is a discussion on Mmmmmm dinner within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Originally Posted by WHEC724 I They look Canadian (but I haven't heard their accent yet). According to my wife (who is Canadain) all of the ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree54Likes

Thread: Mmmmmm dinner

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by WHEC724 View Post
    I They look Canadian (but I haven't heard their accent yet).
    According to my wife (who is Canadain) all of the geese that move to the US are part of a plan by the Great White North to bury the US under a mountain of goose poo
    A real man loves his wife, and places his family as the most important thing in life. Nothing has brought me more peace and content in life than simply being a good husband and father.

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    It's working. Especially in WA DC.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

VIP Member
    I was covered up in does but no bucks tonight. : (

Tim,

You are going to be the envy of a lot of folks here!

My hunting experiences as of late are restricted to rural West Virginia roads and the weapon of choice, an '07 Jeep Liberty with V-6 engine and 4WD. Apparently deer and turkey are wildly attracted to it, I have narrowly missed a few of them.

I ate Canadian goose once. It was greyish, greasy and I found a few shotgun pellets in it. Only if I am starving would I want that again.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JoJoGunn View Post
    Tim,

You are going to be the envy of a lot of folks here!

My hunting experiences as of late are restricted to rural West Virginia roads and the weapon of choice, an '07 Jeep Liberty with V-6 engine and 4WD. Apparently deer and turkey are wildly attracted to it, I have narrowly missed a few of them.

Having lived out in Prichard I know the hazards of driving down there. Maybe you should rig some sort of cow catcher on the front.

I ate Canadian goose once. It was greyish, greasy and I found a few shotgun pellets in it. Only if I am starving would I want that again.

I grew up pretty poor and there were many nights that I would have gone without if it wasn't for a goose dinner. I know they are not too yummy but they taste pretty dang good when the only other choice is an empty belly.
    JoJoGunn likes this.

Prichard WVa?! I know that country! Been there a few times in years past.

Timmy, the rural life is great, isn't it? I wouldn't trade it for anything.
    JoJoGunn likes this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

VIP Member
    yup. We lived in WV for 5 years before moving to Ohio. White's Creek Road was the street, it connects to 52 about 4 miles North of Prichard.
    JoJoGunn likes this.

Speaking of turkeys, just today on my way to work, an oncoming car kicked up a whole mess of them that were hanging out in the road. We both slowed down as they scattered up, down, N-S-E-W. They were everywhere. I see this bunch just about every day but this was the first time I've seen them playing "chicken." LOL They usually hang out in the hay fields, not far from the creek that runs through them.

I listen to an AM radio talk show every morning on my way to work and it's based out of Sacramento. And every day I hear the traffic report for that area and all of the wrecks and traffic hazards in progress and it makes me think how lucky I am to be living in an area where for a 25-30 minute drive to work every day, it's great to live where I see more wild turkeys than cars and people. I may pass 6-10 cars going the other way in a half hour. Life is good.
    atctimmy likes this.
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post

No license or tags to pay for if I'm on my own land. I still buy a license and a single deer tag just in case I get invited someplace else.
    Lucky! Still have to have the tag here, no matter what. Deer season doesn't even start here until Saturday. Hopefully I can do as well as I did last year. 4 trips and 4 deer. Only 3 tags this year, though. Mule deer B tags sold out quicker than usual. Leaves me with two whitetail doe and a general deer license (anything).

Turkey is one thing I've never had much luck with. I did manage to nab one with my AR while I was deer hunting once. Never seem to see any while I'm turkey hunting.

Anyone here ever had Pheasant? Now THAT is good.

VIP Member
    Anyone here ever had Pheasant? Now THAT is good.
    Yup, but not in the numbers you guys have them out there. I usually get one or two a year.

Yup, but not in the numbers you guys have them out there. I usually get one or two a year.
    That's a shame. I usually get out two or three times a season, and the limit is three daily. They're pretty darn good if you barbecue them.

Distinguished Member Array Lotus222's Avatar
    My stats of the season:

Lotus - 0
    Coyote - 1

Next time I'm breaking out the electric calls. ...Got a huge black one on the game cam, too. I hope I can take that one.

Distinguished Member Array Paymeister's Avatar
    We had wild turkey once, and it was wonderful.

A church friend hit and killed a turkey while driving to work (we live in the hills of Appalachia). He used his cell phone to call my wife to see if she wanted it, and she agreed to meet him on the main road as he drove past. She hiked the quarter-mile and was waiting for him when the mailman showed up.

Being in the South, the mailman stopped to chat. Mid-sentence, the friend zoomed up, reached out of the window with a dead turkey held by the feet, and handed it to my wife. They nodded to each other, and my friend went on his way to work.

She then finished the conversation with the mailman, who had rather wider eyes than he did earlier. No explanation was asked for or given, and she then hiked back up the hill to deal with the prize. One day we may tell him the backstory.

Patting my stomach that night after a very nice meal, I remarked appreciatively, "Honey, that's the best roadkill I've ever had."

I'm living the life, too.
    atctimmy likes this.
    Recently updated website: http://www.damagedphotorepair.com

VIP Member
    Honk, eh?
    Ummmmmm, never mind, eh?
    atctimmy likes this.
    CCW permit holder for Idaho, Utah, Pennsylvania, Maine and New Hampshire. I can carry in your country but not my own.

No license or tags on your land? ? ? You suck! Lol. I wish it was that way here in Arkansas. We have 1,000 acres in the mountains and its awesome. Of course when you bow hunt like me, my season started sept 15 and goes until Feb 28! Wild turkey is incredible. Almost as good as back strap.....should be loading the freezer up again this weekend. Great job on the kills, you would love the wild hogs in my neck of the woods! Great taste as well.

Sent from my DROID RAZR

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links