Mmmmmm dinner

This is a discussion on Mmmmmm dinner within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Timmy, glad you're getting a jump on bagging game... wouldn't want your guests to go hungry at the First Annual Defensive Carry Invitational Shoot you're ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree54Likes

Thread: Mmmmmm dinner

Timmy, glad you're getting a jump on bagging game... wouldn't want your guests to go hungry at the First Annual Defensive Carry Invitational Shoot you're hosting at the farm next year!
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Spidey2011 View Post
    That's a shame. I usually get out two or three times a season, and the limit is three daily. They're pretty darn good if you barbecue them.
    Oh, my soul... barbecuing pheasant is a sacrilege! I treated my birds like royalty in the kitchen... I've got some great recipes if you're feeling adventurous.

Back east, I was in a club that stocked birds and over the course of a 12-week season I could count on bagging at least 15 or so (daily limit was two). I'd keep the ones that weren't badly shot up for roasters and the others I'd do on top of the stove. For years, Christmas dinner at my house was a pheasant feast. Sadly, out here in the desert the biggest game bird is a dove!
    zacii likes this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Turkey is great. I've not heard much good about "sky rats", AKA geese.

I used to live out in the sticks for a previous job. We came home from dinner one evening and there were 6 deer in the field behind my trailer. I was dressed kind of nice, but ran inside and grabbed my bow. I snuck down the hedge row to the fence and got off a shot at the closest deer. Unfortunately I misjudged the distance enough that it passed under it. I nearly did that again the next year. And could have clubbed one outside my window a time or two. Nothing like being able to walk right out the door to hunt.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Distinguished Member Array BigStick's Avatar
    Consider me jealous!

Oh, and since I am a technicality kind of guy, they are not Canadian Geese. They are Canada Geese.
    gasmitty likes this.
    Walk softly ...

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    Oh, my soul... barbecuing pheasant is a sacrilege! I treated my birds like royalty in the kitchen... I've got some great recipes if you're feeling adventurous.

Back east, I was in a club that stocked birds and over the course of a 12-week season I could count on bagging at least 15 or so (daily limit was two). I'd keep the ones that weren't badly shot up for roasters and the others I'd do on top of the stove. For years, Christmas dinner at my house was a pheasant feast. Sadly, out here in the desert the biggest game bird is a dove!
    I'll gladly take those recipes. Barbecuing was the only way I knew of, and it's actually pretty good. If you've got something better, though, I'll be glad to give it a shot.

Deer opens tomorrow here. Not sure if I'll be going out or not, yet. Opening day is usually pretty hectic.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BigStick View Post
    Consider me jealous!

Oh, and since I am a technicality kind of guy, they are not Canadian Geese. They are Canada Geese.
    Grammar, eh?
    zacii and JoJoGunn like this.

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    Grammar, eh?
    Not exactly... the name of the species is "Canada" geese, no matter which side of the border they make their home. Details, details!
    BigStick likes this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Distinguished Member Array svgheartland's Avatar
    OldVet, turkeys are smart but only during turkey season. That's how smart they are. During deer season you could take them with a 9 iron.
    atctimmy and JoJoGunn like this.
    Savage Heartland

What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about?

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    Not exactly... the name of the species is "Canada" geese, no matter which side of the border they make their home. Details, details!
    I guess my joke wasn't as funny as I thought it was, eh? I'll have you know I was laughing my fool head off at my own wit. You know, eh?
    zacii and JoJoGunn like this.

I guess my joke wasn't as funny as I thought it was, eh? I'll have you know I was laughing my fool head off at my own wit. You know, eh?
    I guess some people lack a sense of humor, eh?

Quote Originally Posted by svgheartland View Post
    OldVet, turkeys are smart but only during turkey season. That's how smart they are. During deer season you could take them with a 9 iron.
    Deer and Turkey season run at the same time here. That's why the only turkey I ever got was while I was deer hunting.

Senior Member Array Phillep Harding's Avatar
    Grammar, eh?
    "Grammar Goose"?

Duh! <classic smartass hangs his head in shame...>
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Hey, I got it But I guess the hosers didn't, eh?
    atctimmy likes this.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by zacii View Post
    Hey, I got it But I guess the hosers didn't, eh?
    Hey, you wanna swing by Elsinore Brewery and get some beers or somethin'? We can talk about all these hosers, eh?
    JoJoGunn likes this.

Hey, you wanna swing by Elsinore Brewery and get some beers or somethin'? We can talk about all these hosers, eh?
    Do you know how to tell if it is a Canadian Goose, eh?

It's got, like, a Maple Leaf painted on it's back. Oh, and it carries a hockey stick too, eh.
    atctimmy likes this.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links