The Home Invasion That Wasn't!

This is a discussion on The Home Invasion That Wasn't! within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; A little after 7pm last night... dark outside... quiet inside... Mrs. Whoppo out of town on business... I'm upstairs catching up on email. I hear ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: The Home Invasion That Wasn't!

The Home Invasion That Wasn't!

A little after 7pm last night... dark outside... quiet inside... Mrs. Whoppo out of town on business... I'm upstairs catching up on email.
    I hear the ducks outside in their pen quaking up a storm then a loud crash! The whole house is shaking, I hear glass breaking downstairs and the vibration alarms on the dowstairs windows are all going off. Seconds later I'm standing on the landing that has a clear view of the front door and the hallway to the back door, my XD-40 in hand and my finger resting on the switch for the light/laser, expecting the hoarde of Mongols responsible for this ruckus to come charging in. It took a moment to realize the whole house was STILL SHAKING!.

No invaders... no intrusion... heh... it's just an earthquake... man do I feel silly
    Hopyard, Sky Pilot, OD* and 3 others like this.
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    The Second Amendment *IS* Homeland Security
    --------------------- Μολὼν λαβέ ----------------------

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Notice how the danged ducks are an early warning system? The first earthquake is always a jolt. We had quite a few when I lived in AK. Bet flashes of The Waking Dead came to mind.
    Retired USAF E-8. Avatar is OldVet from days long gone. Oh, to be young again.
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Distinguished Member
    I have not yet been in an earthquake. But it sounds as if it is a scary event. Just seems like the feeling would be one of helplessness. Hope you didn't receive too much damage.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by oldnfat View Post
    I have not yet been in an earthquake. But it sounds as if it is a scary event. Just seems like the feeling would be one of helplessness. Hope you didn't receive too much damage.
    I felt a mere 5 back when I lived in Concord CA in '85, and it is a scary feeling of helplessness.

'Glad ya'll are okay up there, Whoppo.

It was about a 4.5, centered a few miles to my west.
    Only damage was a glass that fell off the kitchen counter... and yes indeed, those ducks are a great EWS!
    We get a couple of small quakes a year here in Maine, but few are as widely felt as this one was.

VIP Member
    The sensations during an earthquake are pretty weird.

Years ago an underground gas storage facility about 50 miles from me blew. It produced the equivalent of a 4 something
    earthquake and my house felt like it was going to cave when the shock reached us.

I was once sleeping on the 8th floor of a 10 floor building when a quake hit 2-300 hundred miles away. It was weird waking
    up a 2 AM to feel the bed going back and forth. I thought I was dreaming, went back to sleep. Didn't find out it was the real thing till the morning.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Had them all the time when I was stationed in Alaska. Very weird and spooky...
    US Air Force, 1986 - 2007

"To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them..." George Mason

Sounds like you did fine by me! Nothing wrong with being prepared to act!

We get em here from time to time. I always found it funny that people who live in a place that has a season for hurricanes and tornadoes were usually more scared of an earth quake. No thank you, I will take a little rocking and rolling over a season for scary weather any day. Still waiting for "the big one".

Mrs. and I were in Hawaii once during a big one. Everyone freaked out, power was out, and they almost declared a state of emergency, but nothing (that we could tell) was wrong. I just took the beers out of the fridge and we went and sat on the beach till people stopped freaking out.
    WHEC724 and Sky Pilot like this.
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

Grew up with Earthquakes in CA. I guess you get used to them, because the little ones we would just sit there until they were over. When you are in a big earthquake, you know it and then you really know how fast you can move to cover. The last earthwauke I was in was the Loma Prieata one during thw world series a few years back. When that hit, no one was able to stand up to see what was happening. The feeling of helplessness is very strong. Good thisng it was a small one and that you are OK.
    BigJon10125 likes this.
    No trees were harmed in the construction of this post. However a large number of electrons were indiscriminately aroused.

I take offense to the reference to Mongol hordes, being 1/64th Mongolian myself...
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

Quote Originally Posted by Brad426 View Post
    I take offense to the reference to Mongol hordes, being 1/64th Mongolian myself...
    Noted. Please accept 1/64th of my most sincere apologies :)

Senior Member Array Phillep Harding's Avatar
    Been in hundreds of quakes. Most are about like being near a rail road track when a train goes by or sitting in a car running down a rough road, no big thing. Some are more like being on an anchored boat when someone goes by making a wake (sort of aggravating).

You can tell if someone has been in earth quake country by seeing how the put things on shelves (all the way back) or if they have something over their beds (no way). There are other common sense things to do or not do. You can adapt.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Quote Originally Posted by Brad426 View Post
    They didn't exactly have a reputation for being nice.
    Retired USAF E-8. Avatar is OldVet from days long gone. Oh, to be young again.
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

First earthquake I felt in OK was a similar experience. Sunday morning, not a long, drawn-out shaker. Just a loud boom and one shudder. Being that I lived 100 yards or so off the air force base, I naturally assumed there had been an explosion or crash of some sort.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Distinguished Member Array noway2's Avatar
    I agree with the descriptions of spooky, weird, scary, and leaving you helpless. About 30 years ago, when I was in middle school, there was a 5.1 quake in NE Ohio (very rare for that area). I remember it started with a rumbling that I thought someone was pushing a TV/VCR cart down the hall, until some girls started screaming. Then the covers on the light fixtures started popping open and the walls in the corner of the room started to crack and separate. If that wasn't enough, there was a strange feeling of the pressure waves hitting you that felt like an invisible hand that kept slapping you backwards every few seconds. Other people reported seeing concrete block pillars and big wood floors wave like they were water and others reporting hearing a loud boom. Experiencing that once was enough. Early that morning, about 5-6 hours prior, I remember the dogs going crazy, running around, barking, wanting in the house, out of the house, and wondering what was wrong with them.

The second time I experienced one, it was mild, about a year or so ago here in NC. We were in the conference room having a meeting and the building shook a little bit. The building has 36" water mains in the basement with some isolation valves that are used to equalize the pressures which makes a similar sensation. My boss got up and went into our control room to see if the operators had caused the shaking, which they hadn't and there was a news alert a few minutes later about a small quake.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links