CROOK County ammo tax

This is a discussion on CROOK County ammo tax within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; You just cant make this stuff up. Cook County Considers Bullet Tax To Curb Violence | NBC Chicago...

Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By pgrass101
  • 1 Post By oakchas
  • 1 Post By wmhawth
  • 1 Post By WHEC724
  • 1 Post By dV8r

Thread: CROOK County ammo tax

Thumbs down CROOK County ammo tax

NRA Member
    Certified Kitchen Gunsmith

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive."
    - C.S. Lewis

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array bigmacque's Avatar

Well this should help ... a bullet tax

The awesome simplicity of this plan blows me away: why has no one yet thought of this as a means to curb the growing violence in areas such as Chicago, where they are a gun-free zone?

Bullet Tax
    I'm in favor of gun control -- I think every citizen should have control of a gun.
    1 Thess. 5:16-18

Senior Moderator
    Why don't they just tax crime? That should solve all of there problems
    atctimmy likes this.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

They are a bunch of crooks.
    Have Fun and Shoot Straight !!

could be merged with
    My Deepest Sympathies to Illinois (Cook County) Citizens

Ms. Preckwinkle, indeed! Now there's a smart girl... or not...

Preckwinkle insists the ordinance is far more about addressing gun violence than raising money for a county that faces a deficit of more than $100 million next year.

"We think that's an appropriate thing to do, especially in the light of the gun violence we struggle to deal with in our criminal justice system and our public health system," she told a local newspaper editorial board this week, according to a transcript of the meeting provided by her office. "The legal gun shops in suburban Cook County are a conduit for crimes in Chicago. There's no way around it."
    Chicago and Cook county... where Zombies* vote

*The walking, voting dead, of course, a Chicago invention...
    bigmacque likes this.
    It could be worse.
    "The History of our Revolution will be one continued Lye from one end to the other."
    John Adams
    "A gun is kind of like a parachute. If you need one and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again".

Quote Originally Posted by bigmacque View Post
    The awesome simplicity of this plan blows me away: why has no one yet thought of this as a means to curb the growing violence in areas such as Chicago, where they are a gun-free zone?

Bullet Tax
    Priceless. A no gun city charging a tax on ammunition. Next they can relax gun laws as a means of increasing revenue. The logic boggles the mind.
    bigmacque likes this.

Distinguished Member Array bigmacque's Avatar
    Probably could and should be merged.

I did a search before I posted this, but I searched on bullets, tax, and bullet tax, and found nothing, so I went ahead and posted the thread.
    I'm in favor of gun control -- I think every citizen should have control of a gun.
    1 Thess. 5:16-18

VIP Member
    Beyond stupid. It's like having a 'dry' county. All they do is eliminate any revenue from that item in their county, as it just gets purchased elsewhere.
    OldVet likes this.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Quote Originally Posted by WHEC724 View Post
    Beyond stupid. It's like having a 'dry' county. All they do is eliminate any revenue from that item in their county, as it just gets purchased elsewhere.
    Doh! That one always made me shake my head.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

introduction to Public Finance & Taxation 101. Tax the things people will buy all the time. Cigarettes, alchohol, gasoline.....bullets.
    Regardless of the price, people will still buy it making the tax revenue stream to the County a sure bet. Price does not effect demand for these items
    and the Government ususally says they are taxing them because they are EVIL.....which is pure malarky to quite a not so bright Vice President. They tax them because
    they know smokers will always have to buy cigs, drivers will always have to buy gas, drunks will always have to buy alchohol, and the evil weekend gun range
    enthusiasts will always have to buy ammo.

Gang bangers don't pay for their ammo anyway, so its absurd to think that taxing bullets will have any deterrent to crime.....but when did common sense ever
    effect the reasoning of any Government official when it comes to firearms?
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by zonker1986 View Post
    ...but when did common sense ever
    effect the reasoning of any Government official when it comes to ANYTHING?
    Grammar infractions:

1. Use of the words "common sense" and "government official" in the same sentence.
    2. Use of the word "reason" or derivatives in any sentence with the words above.
    3. Use of question format for what should be a statement... i.e. "Government officials cannot reason with common sense." (in fact, the example given is the only sentence allowed that breaks the rules... IOW it is the exception that proves the rule.)

My editing of the original is not even acceptable under the rules... but, at least it does convey proper meaning...

Thus ends our grammar lesson for today.
    It could be worse.
    "The History of our Revolution will be one continued Lye from one end to the other."
    John Adams
    "A gun is kind of like a parachute. If you need one and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again".

Quote Originally Posted by NMB View Post
    Sure would be a boost for gun shops and Walmarts in the areas surrounding Crook Co., their ammo sales would sky rocket.
    bigmacque likes this.
    LEARN something today so you can TEACH something tomorrow.
    Dominus Vobiscum <))>(
    Where is the wisdom that we have lost in knowledge?" T.S. Elliot

Links