Disaster drill at work

This is a discussion on Disaster drill at work within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I work at a middle school and we had a "disaster" drill today. I was head of search and rescue. I think I was the ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By BigJon10125

Thread: Disaster drill at work

Disaster drill at work

I work at a middle school and we had a "disaster" drill today. I was head of search and rescue. I think I was the only person excited for this. Any chance to simulate anything that can help prepare me is just my thing. It is always nice to have other people involved and sort of see how they operate.

Now I fully understand that a drill is no where near the same thing as the real deal. It was however an interesting experience. Some things I noted. Efficiency is not the name of the game. There were many areas I was involved in that could have been improved. Too many people were babysitting kids that were pretty well behaved. It took us 45 minutes to search the campus and move 3 "bodies" of various distress from death to injury. To me that is too long. I let them know it would probably be ideal if more people were utilized in the rescue side and then could resume their work at aide stations. Interesting all around event. Another interesting side is that by law we can be required to remain on campus with students for up to 3 days. All I will say to that is that in case of emergency, its just a job.
    darbo likes this.
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by BigJon10125 View Post
    Another interesting side is that by law we can be required to remain on campus with students for up to 3 days. All I will say to that is that in case of emergency, its just a job.
    They can't require the students to remain on campus if their parents come to get them, can they?

Quote Originally Posted by BlackJack View Post
    They can't require the students to remain on campus if their parents come to get them, can they?
    Assuming the parents aren't civil servants in some capacity and *can* pick up their children....

No spell-check with Tapatalk, sorry.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackJack View Post
    No, silly. The "staff" can be required to remain, to supervise any remaining students. The law doesn't imply the students are held captive. You wouldn't want the school staff abandoning the kids, would you?
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Just remember, no matter what you've planned, no matter what you've trained, when the fecal material hits the air movement device, you'll be making it up as you go along anyway. All you've done up to that point is think of half the things that can go wrong. Mr. Murphy will come up with the other half.
    ~~~~~
    The only common sense gun legislation was written about 224 years ago.

I carry always not because I go places trouble is likely, but because trouble has a habit of not staying in its assigned zone.

Links