deer anyone? - Page 2

deer anyone?

This is a discussion on deer anyone? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I dunno about the coyotes. I hunted deer in NW Connecticut for a decade or so. The farm where I did most of my hunting ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: deer anyone?

I dunno about the coyotes. I hunted deer in NW Connecticut for a decade or so. The farm where I did most of my hunting had its share of coyotes, but they sure didn't drive the deer off. I'm not sure where in NY you are, but I doubt the 'yote population is as prolific as it is here out west.

I can certainly sympathize - spent my fair share of bone-chilling sunrises in a tree stand with nothing to show for it. My suggestion is to do some fresh scouting, look for any signs of new paths in the woods, droppings, etc. Too early for the rut, I think, so you won't see rubs and scrapes, but if you can figure out where the herd is eating you can probably second-guess their routes back to cover and bedding areas.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

Quote Originally Posted by bunker View Post
    woods here, not too much agriculture within about 5 miles of here... too far for a deer to travel daily for food IMHO.
    Not really, I watched a doe carry a corn stalk into thicket to bed down, we were a good 3 miles from any corn field. I'm guessing she intended it for a mid day snack.

Go online and look for "solunar tables" it predicts peak game/fish activity periods, while not a absolute predictor of deer activity a buddy and I kept track of sightings for several years and found a pretty strong correlation.

If you can't afford a tail timer/camera when you leave a stand put some thread across the trail, check next morning, if the thread is broken it may well be a trail used predominantly at night, that is how we did it in the 60s and 70s before all the modern electronics. Price of trail cameras as come WAY down and while pictures are fun time stamps are invaluable.

Also don't discount being in the stand at noon, if you have other hunters in the area as they leave they could well drive a deer to you, especially if a solunar activity period is late morning to early afternoon.

OK, this sounds a little off beat but, are there turkeys in your area? In Iowa I observed on 2 occasions bucks come into an area where turkeys were present, once spotting the turkeys the bucks visibly relaxed, one even started chasing and kicking at the turkeys just for fun it seemed, coming within 10 yards of the base of my tree and earning an arrow through the lungs.

What I will do is put out a few turkey decoys and go through a whole morning wake up series of turkey calls, soft yelping at first light, fly down (I have a device with 2 fiber "wings" that you flap and sounds like turkeys flying down) then loud prolonged "boss hen" round up yelps, followed by occasional soft yelps and if on the ground I will rake my hand through the leaves. Deer know if turkeys are in an area there is no danger around, they may come in for a danger free meal of acorns or if fleeing other hunters head for a "safe zone".

I did the turkey routine one rifle season opening morning, about an hour after sun up I hear vehicle traffic on the opposite ridge (another property I didn't have permission to hunt) and car doors slamming. I hear something running like mad down the hill side and a large buck jumped the fence and came my way till he was 50 yard away, he stopped, looked behind him, heaved a big ole sigh and casually walked right into one of my kill lanes. Did he come my way because of the turkey talk, who knows for sure but it sure seemed that way.

I don't always do the turkey thing, it doesn't always bring deer in, but when deer do show up they usually seem more relaxed. Plus archery turkey season coincided with archery deer and I took a turkey with the bow one year.
    Rock and Glock likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by F350 View Post
    Not really, I watched a doe carry a corn stalk into thicket to bed down, we were a good 3 miles from any corn field. I'm guessing she intended it for a mid day snack.

Go online and look for "solunar tables" it predicts peak game/fish activity periods, while not a absolute predictor of deer activity a buddy and I kept track of sightings for several years and found a pretty strong correlation.

If you can't afford a tail timer/camera when you leave a stand put some thread across the trail, check next morning, if the thread is broken it may well be a trail used predominantly at night, that is how we did it in the 60s and 70s before all the modern electronics. Price of trail cameras as come WAY down and while pictures are fun time stamps are invaluable.

Also don't discount being in the stand at noon, if you have other hunters in the area as they leave they could well drive a deer to you, especially if a solunar activity period is late morning to early afternoon.

OK, this sounds a little off beat but, are there turkeys in your area? In Iowa I observed on 2 occasions bucks come into an area where turkeys were present, once spotting the turkeys the bucks visibly relaxed, one even started chasing and kicking at the turkeys just for fun it seemed, coming within 10 yards of the base of my tree and earning an arrow through the lungs.

What I will do is put out a few turkey decoys and go through a whole morning wake up series of turkey calls, soft yelping at first light, fly down (I have a device with 2 fiber "wings" that you flap and sounds like turkeys flying down) then loud prolonged "boss hen" round up yelps, followed by occasional soft yelps and if on the ground I will rake my hand through the leaves. Deer know if turkeys are in an area there is no danger around, they may come in for a danger free meal of acorns or if fleeing other hunters head for a "safe zone".

I did the turkey routine one rifle season opening morning, about an hour after sun up I hear vehicle traffic on the opposite ridge (another property I didn't have permission to hunt) and car doors slamming. I hear something running like mad down the hill side and a large buck jumped the fence and came my way till he was 50 yard away, he stopped, looked behind him, heaved a big ole sigh and casually walked right into one of my kill lanes. Did he come my way because of the turkey talk, who knows for sure but it sure seemed that way.

I don't always do the turkey thing, it doesn't always bring deer in, but when deer do show up they usually seem more relaxed. Plus archery turkey season coincided with archery deer and I took a turkey with the bow one year.
    Funny you should mention the turkeys, as i had a large flock about 50 yards from me tonight while in my stand... there was too much thick stuff in between us, so i didnt have a shot. I have seen quite a bit of the leaf litter kicked up all over the hill. bunker
    "6 P's of self defense "
    Prior Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance

Bunker, right now as you know, deer are in a transitional period from their summer browse to the fall foods. Change up your routine, and do something different.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

I don't hunt, but the hunters I know out here hate the coyotes and will shoot them at every opportunity because of deer and elk predation. Apparently can decimate deer and elk populations fast.

The tyrant dies and his rule is over, the martyr dies and his rule begins. ― The Journals of Kierkegaard

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    Bunker, right now as you know, deer are in a transitional period from their summer browse to the fall foods. Change up your routine, and do something different.
    If we have the same north wind at 20mph like we had today, i may try some spot and stalk with the wind in my face from the south side of the mountain. I do not own the land there, but it is not posted. This is the only thing i can think of. With the wind in my face, they should not be able to smell me, and if i move slowly like molasses, i may be able to close to within 40 yards, which is my max distance i want to shoot in woods with bow. If this doesnt work, i going to try checkers. bunker
    "6 P's of self defense "

Quote Originally Posted by bunker View Post
    If we have the same north wind at 20mph like we had today, i may try some spot and stalk with the wind in my face from the south side of the mountain. I do not own the land there, but it is not posted. This is the only thing i can think of. With the wind in my face, they should not be able to smell me, and if i move slowly like molasses, i may be able to close to within 40 yards, which is my max distance i want to shoot in woods with bow. If this doesnt work, i going to try checkers. bunker
    With a 20 mph wind, the deer for the most part ain't moving! The wind masks the sound of predators so they'll bed down until the wind subsides. And if the deer aren't moving, unless you know where they bed down I think checkers is a more productive alternative.
    glockman10mm likes this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

I've tried spot and stalk in windy weather, and a pouring rain. They will be bedded down, so keep a look see low to the ground. I always get a lick out of the " white flags" going in the opposite way.

But it's fun none the less. Sounds like you and I hunt in the same terrain.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Wind was light this morning. Almost pooped my pants when i got to my stand inthe dark and a flock of turkey that were roosted in nearby tree decided to make a break for it... thats was better than two cups of coffee. Never had a chance to spot and stalk this morning... leaves too crunchy, and they would have heard me from a mile away... oh well, at least its better than a day at work. Will try it again in a few hours... my stomach is growling. bunker
    scgunlover1 and WHEC724 like this.
    "6 P's of self defense "

VIP Member
    Shoot the 'yotes anyway. I don't care how good their alibi is.

I haven't been out yet, but my buddy tells me that our property up in Greenwood is over-run with deer. He's bringing me some venison today.

Quote Originally Posted by WHEC724 View Post
    Shoot the 'yotes anyway. I don't care how good their alibi is.

I haven't been out yet, but my buddy tells me that our property up in Greenwood is over-run with deer. He's bringing me some venison today.
    Yup. Shoot on sight. Still can't kill enough of them to make a difference though. Seems like there's two more for every one I kill.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links