deer anyone?

deer anyone?

This is a discussion on deer anyone? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; So bow season started here in NYS on Oct 1st this year, a full two weeks ahead of last year. In the 9 days that ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: deer anyone?

deer anyone?

So bow season started here in NYS on Oct 1st this year, a full two weeks ahead of last year. In the 9 days that i have sit, i have only seen one deer. I stopped seeing deer on my trail camera around the second week of september and cannot understand why? Oaks are hit and miss with acorns, and apples are non existant this year due to early bloom last year, and then freeze.

I have 20 acres of wooded land... 6 ladder stands, and one climber which i can access anywhere i want on the mountain. Getting frustrated to say the least. Usually activity is best in morning on top of mountain, and down low in the evening. My brother in law and nephew have also hunted with me the past two weekends, and nobody is seeing any deer.

Some interesting things i have seen this year is a Fisher.... i have seen him on several occasions before first light shortly after getting in stands. Plenty of tree rats and chipmunks galore. Have tried to focus on the trees that acorns are falling from. Have a good idea where deer normally bed and eat, but this year seems to be quite different. Neighbor says she saw a pack of coyotes last week in the early morning, before first light. Maybe i should focus on hunting the yotes. I cannot see how yotes would drive off deer too much... the yotes are everywhere. I dont know if this is the reason for not seeing any deer, but i am feeling frustrated.

Love the outdoors, and love to watch the wildlife, even if i dont shoot a deer. Watching the sun come up, and hear the forest come alive is the greatest thing on earth. If you have any words of encouragement, lets hear them, cause after breakfast, i am thinking about a nap instead of going back out. thanks. bunker
    "6 P's of self defense "
    Prior Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance

Could certainly be the yotes if they are in a large pack it will affect the deer movement. Where I live we have a larger problem in the form of timber wolves . They have moved the deer off of our property twice in the last 4 years, makes for tough hunting

Quote Originally Posted by leecheater View Post
    Could certainly be the yotes if they are in a large pack it will affect the deer movement. Where I live we have a larger problem in the form of timber wolves . They have moved the deer off of our property twice in the last 4 years, makes for tough hunting
    Wow, i wouldnt want to run into them in dark while going to my stand. In NYS it is illegal to have a side arm while bow hunting. How big is the range of the wolves??? i would assume it is a big area that they cover every day. good luck this season. bunker
    "6 P's of self defense "

Yea, its is creepy when you are in your stand and you hear them start howling, had that happen last year during muzzle loader season. Sounded like it was right in front of me . but in the cedar it's hard to tell. Nice thing up here is with a ccw you can carry at all times while hunting. So the 1911 is always there. Hope your luck improves

Quote Originally Posted by leecheater View Post
    Yea, its is creepy when you are in your stand and you hear them start howling, had that happen last year during muzzle loader season. Sounded like it was right in front of me . but in the cedar it's hard to tell. Nice thing up here is with a ccw you can carry at all times while hunting. So the 1911 is always there. Hope your luck improves
    Thanks, i need the encouragement. Keep it safe out there. bunker
    "6 P's of self defense "

Are there any soy bean fields around your area? Seems like they are letting them stand longer this year before harvesting than they did last year. Maybe the deer are eating on that instead of acorns.

I doubt the yotes are impacting mature deer, but they can dent the population by deprivation of fawns.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

VIP Member
    Fawns will make up to 65% of the coyote's diet in the spring for 3-4 weeks.
    If there is a good size band of coyotes in your area they will decimate the deer herd in 2-4 years in that immediate area. 2 seasons ago during gun season in Mi. (Nov. 15-30) at my property by my house, I saw a doe and her 6 mo. old came crashing through the woods south toward me.
    I heard coyotes yelping from 2 separate locations, one to the NE and one to the NW.
    She and her fawn stood there nevously for about 7 minutes and the coyotes were still working their way south toward them, and then she all of a sudden broke into a dead run due N with fawn in tow.
    I believe her strategy was to go balls out due N and run as fast as they could past the danger and keep on going. So that proved to me that coyotes still, at that time of year will hunt deer and try to kill them if they can.

Wild packs of dogs and coyotes will take a lot of deer in the winter, whe the snow is rather deep & crusted, and the deer's hooves will poke throught the hard crusty stuf on top, but th e dogs and coyotes will have a much easier time staying on the top most portion, thereby allowing them to catch the deer and kill it.

I do NOT like coyotes very much.

Coyotes Kill Buck - Caught on Game Camera Photos | Deer Management at Buck Manager

Here is an article with pics of a coyote killing a 130 class buck.

Here is a link to a pic expose' with brief details of coyote attacks on people and pets.
    The Worst Coyote Attacks | Outdoor Life

AND this from this link:QDM and Coyotes

One evening in February I was photographing near a crossing on the Mississippi River, which was frozen, when I saw what I thought at first was a doe and a fawn running down the far bank,” said Bill. “They were both just loping along like a doe and a fawn would. But it was a doe and a coyote. The doe was running along the edge of the river where the ice is covered with snow, but then for some reason she turned and went out across the river. In the middle of the river there was no snow on the ice, and she went down and went spinning out across the ice. The coyote did the same thing, but it got back up and went over to the doe, which was trying to get back up but couldn't. The coyote just started pulling mouthfuls of hair from the hindquarters, and he just kept eating until he hit an artery and the doe bled to death. It was a pretty gruesome deal but one of the most dramatic things I've seen in the wild.”
    I would rather die with good men than hide with cowards
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.
    Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy."

M&Pc .357sig, 2340Sigpro .357sig

^Yup. Between myself and one of the neighbors (the decent one), we killed well over 20 'yotes this year, and they're still coming. I've only seen one doe in the past couple months, so I'm doubting I'll get anything decent around the house this year.

Gonna have to get the truck running so I can go somewhere else to hunt.

Rifle season just opened up here yesterday. So far only saw a couple does. Did not shoot. Plenty of time to put meat in the freezer. Hopefully your luck will change.
    TC

I'm with the crowd .......the 'yotes jacking things up for ya. They've moved in where I've hunted in the past and away went the deer.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    Coyotes can definitely dent a deer population, by making the herd move elsewhere if nothing else. Once the coyotes move in, it's tough to control them. All it took here to eliminate the rabbits and quail was a few new neighbors who let their cats run loose. Now I never see quail and rarely see rabbits.

It sounds like pickings are slim for the deer, so best bet is to find another source of their food. They can survive on little, but won't if something is available elsewhere.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    Are there any soy bean fields around your area? Seems like they are letting them stand longer this year before harvesting than they did last year. Maybe the deer are eating on that instead of acorns.

I doubt the yotes are impacting mature deer, but they can dent the population by deprivation of fawns.
    woods here, not too much agriculture within about 5 miles of here... too far for a deer to travel daily for food IMHO. There is a field on opposite side of mountain that is POSTED that i think they may be feeding in. I tend to agree with you on the yotes, but i did see an interesting trail cam footage on archerytalk.com last year of a mature whitetail buck, with large antlers, that was basically tortured to death by the yotes till it died... all caught on trail cam pics. They kept attacking it from behind till it was exhausted and died. bunker
    "6 P's of self defense "

Quote Originally Posted by oneshot View Post
    Fawns will make up to 65% of the coyote's diet in the spring for 3-4 weeks.
    If there is a good size band of coyotes in your area they will decimate the deer herd in 2-4 years in that immediate area. 2 seasons ago during gun season in Mi. (Nov. 15-30) at my property by my house, I saw a doe and her 6 mo. old came crashing through the woods south toward me.
    I heard coyotes yelping from 2 separate locations, one to the NE and one to the NW.
    She and her fawn stood there nevously for about 7 minutes and the coyotes were still working their way south toward them, and then she all of a sudden broke into a dead run due N with fawn in tow.
    I believe her strategy was to go balls out due N and run as fast as they could past the danger and keep on going. So that proved to me that coyotes still, at that time of year will hunt deer and try to kill them if they can.

Wild packs of dogs and coyotes will take a lot of deer in the winter, whe the snow is rather deep & crusted, and the deer's hooves will poke throught the hard crusty stuf on top, but th e dogs and coyotes will have a much easier time staying on the top most portion, thereby allowing them to catch the deer and kill it.

I do NOT like coyotes very much.

Coyotes Kill Buck - Caught on Game Camera Photos | Deer Management at Buck Manager

Here is an article with pics of a coyote killing a 130 class buck.

Here is a link to a pic expose' with brief details of coyote attacks on people and pets.
    The Worst Coyote Attacks | Outdoor Life

AND this from this link:QDM and Coyotes

One evening in February I was photographing near a crossing on the Mississippi River, which was frozen, when I saw what I thought at first was a doe and a fawn running down the far bank,” said Bill. “They were both just loping along like a doe and a fawn would. But it was a doe and a coyote. The doe was running along the edge of the river where the ice is covered with snow, but then for some reason she turned and went out across the river. In the middle of the river there was no snow on the ice, and she went down and went spinning out across the ice. The coyote did the same thing, but it got back up and went over to the doe, which was trying to get back up but couldn't. The coyote just started pulling mouthfuls of hair from the hindquarters, and he just kept eating until he hit an artery and the doe bled to death. It was a pretty gruesome deal but one of the most dramatic things I've seen in the wild.”
    Holy crap that must have been something to see firsthand, regarding the deer on the ice. I would hope that the deer and coyotes would keep themselves in check, but it doesnt seem that way this season. We have quite a few more weekds of bowhunting, and then the boom sticks come out. bunker
    "6 P's of self defense "

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Coyotes can definitely dent a deer population, by making the herd move elsewhere if nothing else. Once the coyotes move in, it's tough to control them. All it took here to eliminate the rabbits and quail was a few new neighbors who let their cats run loose. Now I never see quail and rarely see rabbits.

It sounds like pickings are slim for the deer, so best bet is to find another source of their food. They can survive on little, but won't if something is available elsewhere.
    Two years ago the we had a bumper crop of acorns... i mean it was dangerous walking on my mountain... it was like walking on marbles. Last two years there has been very little, and the few apple trees i do have didnt produce any apples due to a warm spring, followed by a killing frost late. I dont see much else for the deer to eat in the woods, so maybe they just moved out of dodge.
    "6 P's of self defense "

I had a patient of mine make me a mouth call made out of wood... is supposed to sound like an injured "wabbit". Maybe i should stay in stand extra long after dark, and see if i can hear any coyotes calling back. I have an S&W M&P15-22 with a red dot, plus tactical flahlight of 220 lumens that should do the trick... head shots baby, head shots!!!
    "6 P's of self defense "

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links