Passed the Technician & General Class Ham License

This is a discussion on Passed the Technician & General Class Ham License within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Originally Posted by Bark'n I only took two of the General class practice tests and flunked both times with a 71% each time (74% is ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: Passed the Technician & General Class Ham License

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post

I only took two of the General class practice tests and flunked both times with a 71% each time (74% is passing).
    Sounds like the guvment needs to lower the standards so that no child is left behind! That's what they do in public schools, isn't it?
    Last edited by OldVet; October 21st, 2012 at 07:29 PM.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

2. Remove Ads

So now can we have "no code vs know code" wars along with OC/CC and caliber wars?

Congrats on the tickets Bark'n! Just be aware that radio gear can suck a bank account dry just like guns and boats!
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Quote Originally Posted by mcp1810 View Post
    So now can we have "no code vs know code" wars along with OC/CC and caliber wars?

Congrats on the tickets Bark'n! Just be aware that radio gear can suck a bank account dry just like guns and boats!
    And I couldn't have picked a worst possible time for getting license. I have no $$$ for any real rig right now.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

I can't help myself, I just have to ask....if you are counting on ham radio's when the bovine feces hits the ceiling mounted rotator...who exactly is going to enforce if you have a license or not? and who will care??? (after the brown stuff has been evenly dispersed)
    Quando Omni Flunkus Moratati

Quote Originally Posted by StcLurker View Post
    I can't help myself, I just have to ask....if you are counting on ham radio's when the bovine feces hits the ceiling mounted rotator...who exactly is going to enforce if you have a license or not? and who will care??? (after the brown stuff has been evenly dispersed)
    There will always be somebody that will try to convince others that he is in charge. If enough people believe him then he is.

Michael

Probably nobody. It does help to know what you are doing with a radio however. Having experience (hopefully legal) helps when SHTF.
    Bark'n likes this.

Congrats, Bark'n !!! Very neat !!!

Whats (emp) stand for? R u talking about whats goin to happen at the end of 2012 what people r talking about?........just curious.

VIP Member
    The popcorn is burnt...
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms."*
    -Thomas Jefferson
    "The Constitution shall never be construed ... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."**
    -Samuel Adams

Quote Originally Posted by Miamieddie View Post
    Whats (emp) stand for? R u talking about whats goin to happen at the end of 2012 what people r talking about?........just curious.
    An EMP is an electrical/magnetic pulse wave which is a by product of a nuclear explosion. It literally fries pretty much all solid state electronic components. It has been said it would send us back to the stone age as none of our modern electrical equipment would survive after a strong EMP attack. Your car and every other new vehicle with computers and solid state electronic ignition will be rendered useless. All your TV's, radios, computers etc.

There are other things which generate EMP besides a nuclear bomb. One thing no one can do anything about, yet scientists expect it to happen again soon based on historical records are severe sun spot / solar flare activity. Also weapons have been in development which attack with a strong and directed EMP impulse that is not based on a nuclear explosion, so there won't be the devastating damage and loss of life as with a nuclear bomb. Just a totally wiped out infrastructure.

Electromagnetic pulse
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Administrator
    Congrats Bark'n

And also remember that a Mass Coronal Ejection (AKA abnormally huge solar flare) from the Sun can have the same effect as a Man caused EMP.
    And our Sun is not following its normal 11 Year Solar Maximum/Minimum cycle these days and nobody is really sure why.
    Bark'n likes this.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Well, if you don't have the knowledge of how to set up a radio station, you can do a lot of harmful stuff. One, if your antenna impedance is severely mismatched, you can fry your radio and render it useless. Two, you can emit harmful RF Radiation which causes RF burns and other health related issues that your neighbor might frown upon if you keep zapping him with your radiation.

Also knowing how to build field expedient antennas is a valuable skill. Basically, if you go the legal route, you'll have the knowledge gained to understand and use the electrical theory necessary to maintain a viable radio station and be able to communicate around the world.

Those who think they'll just go out and buy a ham radio to have on hand for a SHTF situation will usually end up with a worthless paperweight and looking like an idiot. If you think you'll only use it for guerrilla broadcasting, it helps to know how everything works, operates and proper protocol. Otherwise, you'll draw attention to yourself rather quickly. And anyone with any radio direction finding equipment (whether they are from a govt. agency or not) will find your location soon enough.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

VIP Member
    Congratulations on your accomplishment and thanks for the info.

I've been wanting to do the same thing, with the same preps, but it keeps going to my back-burner. Ok, so this is one of my goals to complete during 2013 !
    Bark'n likes this.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Congrats on the tickets.
    They got rid of the code requirement? I wonder, when I was taking my technician test, the guy said I could take the general as well, if I wanted. I ended up aceing the general written test but, because I wasn't expecting to take it at the time, I hadn't practiced my code skills. So, I bombed the code portion. I wonder if my general exam will count retroactively? Probably not

as to SHTF scenarious, if I remember correctly, it is specifically mentioned in the regs; "In times of emergency, pretty much all regulations (on radio communications) can legally be ignored." I would imagine that SHTF would qualify as an emergency situation.

KD4KFD
    "Sooner or later we all must die. Warriors choose to do so on their feet, standing between their enemies and those they hold dear. With a weapon in their hands. Cowards choose to do so on their bellies. Unarmed."

- Dave Gell

Bark'n, you were a ham all along. We knew it.

Congratulations on the new license.
    Bark'n likes this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links