Passed the Technician & General Class Ham License - Page 3

Passed the Technician & General Class Ham License

This is a discussion on Passed the Technician & General Class Ham License within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; -... --.....

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: Passed the Technician & General Class Ham License

VIP Member

Thumbs up

-... --..

Bark`n thanx for the info. This aint good news, im getting me old school car pure motor and carb. No modern computer car like today bullet proof it arm it, just like the movie mad max and roadworrior (mel gibson), lol...... No seriously. A man gotta do what a mans gotta do !!!!!
    Bark'n likes this.

Congrats and welcome to the hobby

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    And I couldn't have picked a worst possible time for getting license. I have no $$$ for any real rig right now.
    I only have my Tech (and GMRS) right now but I have quite a bit of repurposed Motorola stuff via ebay and two honest to god "ham" radios. If you start with the VHF/UHF stuff (2 meter and 70cm) you can get in cheap. My next purchase is probably going to be a 10 meter. I am not looking forward to trying to sell the wife on something like an Icom 706.

The good news is that with the narrow band mandate kicking in at the end of the year there is going to be a bunch of stuff that wont be part 90 legal anymore and is either ready for or easily adapted to ham use. I just won't be field programmable.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    I'm all for tin cans and a lot of string.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

you need a license to use a ham radio?!
    My metal band: Born under Sirius

Glock 23, mic holster, clipdraw, abdominal carry.

Congratulations & 73 de NK9O

Quote Originally Posted by Fausty View Post
    you need a license to use a ham radio?!
    You don't need a license to buy or own or listen on a ham radio, but you definitely need a license to transmit on one.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

When hell breaks loose u wont need a lisence nor permission to do anything you just do it !! Every man is his own law.

Quote Originally Posted by Miamieddie View Post
    When hell breaks loose u wont need a lisence nor permission to do anything you just do it !! Every man is his own law.
    Maybe for a little while. But eventually there will be a resurgence of law and order. Lawless societies don't seem to last very long.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

mkh
    Congrats Bark'n and welcome to the hobby.

73 de W4MKH

VIP Member
    Good Job! I'm taking classes right now and I have my test in two weeks. I'm still on the fence on trying the General test or not. Our classes are focused solely on the Technician class and while I know I can try the test "for free" I'm actually a little concerned that I'll end up getting myself confused with information overload if I try to wade through the General class stuff on my own.

I used to be into ham radio but when the Internet and cellphones got going good, I lost interest. I still have the equipment.
    kF4ISO
    The police are not there to protect you from crime, they are there to arrest the guy after the crime has been committed, assuming they find him. It is your responsibility to protect yourself and your family.

Quote Originally Posted by TX expat View Post
    Good Job! I'm taking classes right now and I have my test in two weeks. I'm still on the fence on trying the General test or not. Our classes are focused solely on the Technician class and while I know I can try the test "for free" I'm actually a little concerned that I'll end up getting myself confused with information overload if I try to wade through the General class stuff on my own.
    Go ahead and take your Tech test and get it out of the way. If your class has only focused on the Tech portion of the license, I don't think you'll pass the General without any real study in that area.

Then when you are ready to devote some time studying for your General, go sign up for the study course at hamtestonline, and you won't have any problems. Same thing for the Extra class license.

Personally, I think two weeks is enough time if you were to sign up at hamtestonline if you have about 25 - 30 hours to devote to study just the General portion in the next two weeks. But I sure don't want to mess up what you're doing in the class you have going now.

I have found tests being given every month in Missouri if you care to drive to Lake of the Ozarks or Springfield to take the test. So having the ability to take the test is no problem when you are ready.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

VIP Member
    Yeah, that's the way I'm leaning. I could do the General study on my own, but the cost to test is cheap and the guys up here have fairly regular testing, so other than the 'kill two birds with one stone' mentality, there isn't any significant reason to try and get the General test done at the same time. Plus, I'm really doing this for some Emergency Management Ops stuff that I volunteer for in my county, and I really don't need anything past the Tech license for it. Maybe someday it will become more of a hobby but for now it's something that I'm doing to compliment my other interests.
    Bark'n likes this.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links