Passed the Technician & General Class Ham License

This is a discussion on Passed the Technician & General Class Ham License within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Originally Posted by Bark'n You don't need a license to buy or own or listen on a ham radio, but you definitely need a license ...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: Passed the Technician & General Class Ham License

Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    You don't need a license to buy or own or listen on a ham radio, but you definitely need a license to transmit on one.
    bureaucracy at it's finest.
    My metal band: Born under Sirius

Glock 23, mic holster, clipdraw, abdominal carry.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array CT-Mike's Avatar
    I earned my technician and general license's back in 2004, but don't have any equipment and haven't been on the air. Someday I will get some equipment and get going. As a word of advice though, I would be leery about posting one's call sign online.

A search of arrl.org will give up your name and address. Not sure if you want to be putting that out there.
    Bark'n likes this.
    "The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield, and government to gain ground."

- Thomas Jefferson

"I'm the arrow, you're my bow, shoot me forth and I will go"

"Do not let any individual posts put a knot in your Big Boy Under-Roos"

Distinguished Member Array CT-Mike's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    I think it was back in 1997 when they finally dropped Morse code for all the license classes. That alone has drawn a lot of people to go ahead and get their license.

But Morse code is far from dead. There are still a ton of people sending code on the airwaves.

With all the online software and programs that teach Morse code on the computer, I'll likely someday give it a shot. But at least it's no longer required to get any class of license.
    I earned my Tech and General in 2004, had to pass a code test for the General. Not sure when it was dropped, but definitely after 2004.
    "The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield, and government to gain ground."

- Thomas Jefferson

"I'm the arrow, you're my bow, shoot me forth and I will go"

"Do not let any individual posts put a knot in your Big Boy Under-Roos"

Distinguished Member Array Brady's Avatar
    Congrats Bark'n! I've been talkin' about doing that for a couple years now. I've got some gear and been listening for a while. Gotta get off the seat and get started.
    ...he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one. Luke 22:36
    USN/VET; NRA; GOA, jpfo.org
    Life in a Jar: The Irena Sendler Project www.irenasendler.com

Passed the Technician & General Class Ham License

Congrats, I went through the process when you still had to know code. Been a ham since 2000.

de WV8T

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by TX expat View Post
    Good Job! I'm taking classes right now and I have my test in two weeks. I'm still on the fence on trying the General test or not. Our classes are focused solely on the Technician class and while I know I can try the test "for free" I'm actually a little concerned that I'll end up getting myself confused with information overload if I try to wade through the General class stuff on my own.
    If it won't confuse you too much, go to Callsign Database by QRZ.COM and take a few General exams. You might just pass it the same night.

Congratulations, Bark'n. I've been one since 2005, although I also had a Novice class license when I was in Jr. High School (ages ago). I built an HF antenna two weeks ago, just in time for the biggest contest of the year, held this weekend. I talked to people all over the world this weekend.

I'm now working on my Extra class license.
    Bark'n likes this.

Working on upgrading to General. I found this site and am using it, taking the practice tests. I'm now to where I've passes the last 6 tests although by only 1 or 2 questions.

https://hamstudy.org/
    Bark'n likes this.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

Quote Originally Posted by tkruf View Post
    Working on upgrading to General. I found this site and am using it, taking the practice tests. I'm now to where I've passes the last 6 tests although by only 1 or 2 questions.

https://hamstudy.org/
    The good thing is they don't put your test score on your license.

You know what they call a 4th year medical student who only scores a 70% on his med boards?... Doctor!
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Senior Moderator
    I'vebeen wanting to get my HAM license for a while, I guess I just need to do it. Right after my beekeeping course is finished in March.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Just the other day I was talking to a friend of mine who owns a 2M ham repeater on a shared site with some local agencies. Some years ago we were both in ARES and of course we touched on the SHTF subject. I let him know that I've thought of him often when it comes to that subject because he would probably be one of the few people around that I would be able to communicate with. Of course, during the ARES days, preparation and disasters is what it was all about so we used to practice hard, (play a lot) with crossband repeating 2M/440, RTTY, FSTV, antenna building parties etc. Lots of fun. So if it does go down some day folks, here's the rule: You have to give your screen name here right before you end with your call sign so if we talk to each other on HF, we'll know who we are. LOL

Congratulations Bark'n and 73! You'll have a lot of fun with it even if you don't find yourself in a disaster.
    Bark'n likes this.
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Links