Blame the Lawyers, should we?

This is a discussion on Blame the Lawyers, should we? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Originally Posted by Hopyard Sounds great until you are the injured party hiring a plaintiff's lawyer and you quickly figure out that should you lose ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 31 to 38 of 38
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: Blame the Lawyers, should we?

  1. #31
    Distinguished Member
    Array Jeanlouise's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Falling Waters, WV
    Posts
    1,953
    Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    Sounds great until you are the injured party hiring a plaintiff's lawyer and you quickly figure out
    that should you lose your (in your view) meritorious case it will cost you thousands in fees.
    Good point. We've all seen legitimate cases go to court and lose because of some obscure, or not so obscure, reason.
    I don't know what the answer is because it should be "use your common sense" but that is subjective so it won't work.

    Maybe there should be some sort of arbitration panel that lawsuits should have to pass before they are allowed to to forward. A first line of defense so to speak. That way suits by people that make a living suing other people would be stopped before they clog the system.

    One time "60 Minutes" (I think it was that show) did a report on a woman that constantly sued everyone she could. She acted as her own attorney so all it cost her was time. She sued one of her neighbors because their kids played basketball in their driveway and the bouncing ball gave her "severe headaches". She sued stores constantly because many of them would just pay her off rather then pay the cost of the court and defense. At any one time she would have as many as 20 cases in the works. Her whole neighborhood was terrified of her because of the lawsuits. She made a fortune causing legal misery for innocent people. Whenever I think of frivolous lawsuits, I think of her. I know she's an extreme case but I bet she's not the only one who does this.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

  2. Remove Ads

  3. #32
    Ex Member Array dbglock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Durham, N.C.
    Posts
    278
    Quote Originally Posted by mlr1m View Post
    On another thread lawyers are being raked over the coals for taking on a case where a criminal is attempting to use the law to punish a person for protecting himself. Here is my problem with this.
    Why is it we will attack the lawyer for using the law but will re-elect the person that wrote it? Or, we refuse to voice the same outrage about the law as we do about the person using that law. I don't see many people actively working to change the laws they believe are being abused.

    Its like blaming the police when they write you a ticket for doing 80 mph in a 65 mph zone. Then voting to re-elect the person who is responsible for the law you were ticketed for violating.

    Michael
    Simple. We the blamer is an individual, we the voter is a collective body of individuals. If blame was a collective effort your argument might hold water.

  4. #33
    VIP Member
    Array OldVet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Posts
    14,582
    "Her whole neighborhood was terrified of her because of the lawsuits."

    And the neighborhood should have filed a class action suit against her for causing them "severe headaches."

    A drunk driver hits someone and causes injury, he should be fair game. You walk into a store during a downpour, and slip, you should be on your own for having the common sense to realize wet feet and floors don't play well.

    But common sense seems to be non-existant these days.
    kb2wji likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Avatar is OldVet from days long gone. Oh, to be young again.
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

  5. #34
    Member Array Miamieddie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Miami,Fl.
    Posts
    225
    No money No justice !!! That the way it is sorry,.. Eddie.

  6. #35
    Member Array Miamieddie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Miami,Fl.
    Posts
    225
    Lawyers and polititions make the laws up yes blame them.

  7. #36
    VIP Member Array mlr1m's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    okla
    Posts
    4,298
    Quote Originally Posted by Miamieddie View Post
    Lawyers and polititions make the laws up yes blame them.
    I'm all for blaming the people who write the laws. The question was why do we insist on blaming the people who use the laws, while giving those who wrote them a pass. Even re-electing them.

    Michael

  8. #37
    Ex Member Array dbglock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Durham, N.C.
    Posts
    278
    Quote Originally Posted by mlr1m View Post
    The question was why do we insist on blaming the people who use the laws, while giving those who wrote them a pass. Even re-electing them.
    Again, see Post #32. I blame who I feel like blaming for behavior that offends, which might not offend somebody else. I can't control how others vote, regardless of who I blame for what. Your statement above is a non-sequitur.

  9. #38
    Senior Member Array CanuckQue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Maritimes Canada
    Posts
    1,039
    I blame the lawyers when they fight over the letter of the law, and this results in distortions of the intent (or sustainability) of a law. Or, in other words,

    ‘All it takes for evil to succeed is for good people to say, "It’s a business."’
    Mental illness incidents are used to threaten gun rights.
    The March of Dimes headed off the Universal Iron Lung coverage debate, just sayin'.
    Alternately, for those with a toolshed and ideas.


Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Search tags for this page

powered by mybb bad faith insurance claim litigation

,

powered by mybb bad faith insurance lawyer

,

powered by mybb class action lawsuit

,

powered by mybb war risk insurance

,

who should we blame for bad lawyer

,

who should we fault for bad lawyers

Click on a term to search for related topics.