We have a new fuzzy family member

This is a discussion on We have a new fuzzy family member within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; We have been without a dog for too long (several years). There have been a couple heartbreaks that for one reason or another didn't work ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: We have a new fuzzy family member

Distinguished Member Array Brady's Avatar

We have a new fuzzy family member

We have been without a dog for too long (several years). There have been a couple heartbreaks that for one reason or another didn't work out. My daughter got the bug again a few months ago and started reading about dogs and searching ads online. One thing she found was that just about the most popular name for dogs these days is Bailey, male or female. When we went to meet the dog I asked my daughter “what is her name”? She said “I forgot to ask, I hope it isn’t something popular like Bailey, everybody names their dog Bailey”.

The owners have 2 boys, 2 other dogs and 2 cats, the Dad has a long commute, the Mom has gone back to work and there just wasn’t any time to properly spend on a puppy. The dog is twice saved. She was part of a litter that the breeder was going to have put down because of ring worms and this couple grabbed her and said “we’ll take this one”. Then she just got to be too much for them with mom going back to work so they placed an ad in Craig’s List. My daughter asked me to go with her to check it out so we all piled in the mini-van and went for a little ride. During our conversation with the owners I asked what is her name? The wife said “Bailey”. I looked at my daughter and laughed out loud.

She is a 76 lb female Black Lab, 1½ years old and spayed. It’s a match, everybody is in love with everybody! She plays with the kids well but she stays glued to my daughter’s side. When she barks the volume fills the room and I’m glad to add a layer of protection for my daughter and the kids.

Where does a 76 lb dog lay down?...
    Bailey, in her perceived rightful place. Daughter says she now “NEEDS” a king size bed! As you can see, Bailey is adjusting well.
    QKShooter and Chevy-SS like this.
    ...he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one. Luke 22:36
    USN/VET; NRA; GOA, jpfo.org
    Life in a Jar: The Irena Sendler Project www.irenasendler.com

2. Remove Ads

Nice addition. She looks great!
    Richard

NRA Life Member

"But if they don't exist, how can a man see them?"

"You may think I'm pompous, but actually I'm pedantic... let me explain the difference."

"Carry the battle to them. Don't let them bring it to you. Put them on the defensive and don't ever apologize for anything."

Pretty dog. Congrats.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

NCG
    She looks like she fits right in. Congrats!

VIP Member
    That is going to be a great companion. Glad she found her final home.
    surefire7 likes this.

Ha! Looks a lot like our Priscilla, crowding the bed... so cute! Nice choice!
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Distinguished Member
    She's a really cute dog and looks like a ton of personality!
    I see she's just one of the gang on the bed now!
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

Re: We have a new fuzzy family member

Very good decision, congrats.

Distinguished Member Array RevolvingMag's Avatar
    Rock Hill, SC- Across Town From Where All the Homicides Happen
    She's beautiful. Glad you have a new furry family member- they're always the best ones (partly because you CAN choose them).

Glad to hear everything is going smoothly.
    "Rock and load, lock and roll... what's it matter? FIRE!!"

"Gun control means hitting your target every time."

Please take everything I say with at least one grain of salt- I am a very sarcastic person with a very dry sense of humor.

OD*
    Congratulations, she is a real beauty.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

Oh you made me cry a little. What a wonderful addition.

Here is my wonderful Pepper and my children. OH, and Winkie the killer cat. I was lucky enough to have this beautiful dog for almost 13 years.

kathleenandKristapherandWinkieandPepper.jpg

In the wonderful den we hadn't remolded yet lol. Hey got the house cheap can't complain.
    Chevy-SS likes this.
    Our House Is Protected By The Good Lord And A gun. You Might Meet Both Of Them If You Show Up Inside My House Uninvited.

She looks like she's fitting right in. She'll make a place in your hearts. She'll be your dog.

My "Hair Missile" is a Yellow lab/Greyhound mix I rescued from the shelter,she seldom leaves my side,when I'm on the computer shes under my wheelchair,when I'm reloading she's under my wheelchair,watching tv lays in front of my recliner,in bed she cuddles up against me.
    A little over 2 years ago I had to put my 13 yr old Chocolate lab lucky down,she was a sweetheart and we hunted many years together until I was disabled.Labs tend to be great family dogs,looks like you have a winner
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

VIP Member

Re: We have a new fuzzy family member

Can't really go wrong with a lab or pit (or mix of both).

-- I don't always post from my mobile but when I do, I prefer Tapatalk.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin

"Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by Brady View Post
    Where does a 76 lb dog lay down?... Bailey, in her perceived rightful place.
    From the looks of things, she seems to be settling in just fine, takin' care of business, protecting the pack. Gotta love the ones with a bit of experience under their belts.

Enjoy the new-found friend and companion.

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    My "Hair Missile" is a Yellow lab/Greyhound mix I rescued from the shelter,she seldom leaves my side,when I'm on the computer shes under my wheelchair,when I'm reloading she's under my wheelchair ...
    "Hair Missile" can be a good nickname for the li'l buggers. They're not exactly lint-free units. Sounds like a nice one, though. And likely strong and fast, too, what with the lab/greyhound mix. Zoooom, to the door! Zoooooom, after the squirrels! Zooo-oo-oooom, after the Frisbee.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links