Argo - The Movie

This is a discussion on Argo - The Movie within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Hey guys and gals my wife I went to see Argo, the movie last night what a fantastic experience based on a truly amazing event ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Argo - The Movie

VIP Member

Argo - The Movie

Hey guys and gals my wife I went to see Argo, the movie last night what a fantastic experience based on a truly amazing event in history. Ben Affleck did a fantastic job both acting and directing, the cinematography was spot on and even if you remember the event and know the outcome the movie was riveting.

Frankly, this is one of the best movies I've seen in a long time. Surely it should win Oscars - best picture and probably best actor. Also, seeing as it was based on historical events, if there's not already an Oscar category for it, they should create one for the best historic event that a movie was based on.

If you go, and I highly recommend it, be sure to stay for the end credits. During the credits the actual passport photos of the real players are shown and it's amazing how much they look just like the actors who played them, or vice versa. Additionally during the end credits there is a interview with Jimmy Carter who recounts the events from his perspective.

Argo is a story worth telling and it is told well. You will leave the theater with an understanding that we employ real men and women who do real things that we never hear about. Some of these things, like the one Argo, are really more likely to get them killed than be successful. But they do them anyway – in fact sometimes they even champion the cause. It's a movie well worth seeing.

On a side note, the theater was packed but my wife and I managed to score the best seats the house. We got two seats right next to the exit. From a tactical perspective, had Colorado repeated itself we were probably in the best position to have options. Getting there a few minutes early really paid off.

The parallels in Argo to current events are unmistakable on several levels. But let's keep the discussion in this thread to the movie and the event depicted in the movie and not the politics surrounding those events or we will get the thread closed down.
    fail_187, Cory1022 and wingryder like this.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Thanks for the review/recommendation. I am certainly interested in this film. This wss going on during my childhood and I didn't really understand what was going on at the time. Since then, I have read and learned a bit more. It will be interesting to see the events from the "inside" so to speak.
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

I saw it and concur with the good review. I never thought Ben Affleck was a particularly good actor, but he was very good in this. And as far as directing goes he is 3 for 3 ("Gone Baby, Gone", "The Town", and now "Argo")... maybe he has found his niche.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

The wife and I saw it a few days ago...great flick!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I saw it with my parents.

As someone who hadn't been alive during the Iranian hostage crisis, I was amazed by the movie, and more-so by the story.

My parents were both visibly moved by the memories that it brought back, and seemed to really appreciate the movie.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

It was based on a true story, but the ending of the movie had nothing to do with reality. In Iran, the good guys just walked out of the airport and onto the airplane, no hold and check passports, no chase, just ho hum leave the country. I would go with good flick, worth seeing.

Spoiler alert...
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I'm not too keen on "historical" movies. I already knew the Titantic sank, and I already knew the hostages escaped. Knowing the ending ruins it for me.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Thank you for the review.. hoping to make it to see here soon!

I concur. Outstanding movie. Ben Affleck is turing out to be a great director.

Agreed, very well done!

Can't wait for the sequel, Argo 2: The Iran-Contra Scandal.
    ,____,
    //' British Agent
    "
    "Happiness is a warm Gun."

Dang it I knew I should have went and seen Argo instead of Taken 2 last weekend. Only reason I went with Taken2 is because I really liked the first movie, however, the sequel is way overblown and not even remotely believable. Next movie will definitely be Argo. Thanks for the review.

Just out of college during the hostage crisis, I was aware of the situation but not aware at all of the Argo story. Enjoyed the movie alot.

If you want more where that came from, check out Ken Follett's book On Wings of Eagles. It tells of Ross Perot trying to get his employees out of Iran after the Shah fell.
    phreddy likes this.
    I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on Earth.--Steve McQueen

I on the fence about seeing it. My late father was a career CIA officer. At the time this took place he was one of the editors and presenters of the Presidents Daily Brief. There were other families in my neighborhood that were also agency, so some of us "grew up CIA". Dad would rarely go into detail but frequently would read the Washington Post and either laugh or swear and comment on how "That is not how it happened."
    I love it when Hollywood gets it right, but it really ticks me off when they get fundemental stuff wrong just to move their story along.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links