Food & Drink: Post your recipes what you're drinking and where your eating.

This is a discussion on Food & Drink: Post your recipes what you're drinking and where your eating. within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; First season with it in the house, seems to be doing well. The trick is finding a spot with sufficient light. The living wall units ...

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
Like Tree107Likes

Thread: Food & Drink: Post your recipes what you're drinking and where your eating.

Distinguished Member Array kapnketel's Avatar
    First season with it in the house, seems to be doing well. The trick is finding a spot with sufficient light. The living wall units have drip irrigation from a tank on top with a catch basin on the bottom. It has cells that are angled so to keep the plants in. 20 cells in each, each cell has a fiber mat that holds moisture.
    I'd rather be lucky than good any day

There's nothing that will change someone's moral outlook quicker than cash in large sums.

Majority rule only works if you're also considering individual rights. Because you can't have five wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for supper.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by l1a1 View Post
    Made Shephards Pie with Venison tonight.

2 pounds ground venison
    1 large onion chopped
    about 4 or 5 cups prepared mashed taters. I cheated and used instant as that was all I had.
    Assorted canned veggies. I used a can of corn, and one can of peas/carrots (mixed).
    1 cup brown gravy. Also cheated and used one of the premade gravy packets.

Preheat oven to 400F.

Brown the deer and season to taste, add the chopped onion and saute until the onion is your desired level of doneness.
    I would say drain the ground deer but it's so lean it probably won't be necessary. Add garlic to taste. About 3 or 4 tbls of the minced stuff worked for me.

While the meat is browning prepare the mashed taters, gravy and veggies. I seasoned the veggies with salt, pepper, a tbs of butter and got cooked them a bit while the meat was browing.

Spread the meat mixture into a 13x9 pan. Layer the veggies over the meat mixture. Pour the gravy over the entire thing. Layer the taters over the top of the meat mixture and pop
    into the oven for 15 or 20 minutes. To brown the taters you can place the oven on broil the last couple of minutes and watch until you have the desired results.
    I got some 'leftover' ground beef and some instant taters I need to do something with...... this is a perfect idea!
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

VIP Member
    to eat:

whatever the wife fixes......

to drink:

cold weather- 2 fingers of Wild Turkey with two fingers of Wild Turkey
    warm weather- 2 fingers of Wild Turkey & ice

I'm old school & sexist, hence the wife crack......
    goldshellback likes this.
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

Not eating it tonight but here is another killer recipe with ground venison.

Got this from my neighbor as a housewarming gift. I'ts easy and incredibly yummy, especially reheated.
    I changed it up a bit from the original.

Zesty Italian Casserole

1.5 lbs of ground venison
    1 8oz tub of fat free sour cream
    1 16 oz bag of shredded mozzarella (probably won't use all of it, but then again you might)
    minced garlic
    1 large onion chopped
    1 can reduced fat crescent rolls.

1.5 lbs ground venison browned
    1 large onion chopped and added to browned meat. Allow to simmer for 5 minutes or so.
    Add 2 TBSP minced garlic. Shake head and say Naaaggghhh and add 2 more TBSP of garlic. It's good stuff folks.
    Mix enough premade (or homeade) spaghetti sauce to evenly cover the meat.
    In a seperate large bowl add approximately 12 to 14 oz of shredded mozzarella stirred into approximately 3/4 of the 8oz tub.
    Spread Meat/Onion/Spaghetti sauce mixture into a 9x13 pan. Carefully cover with the sour cream and cheese mixture so as not to mix the layers.
    Cover that layer with an unrolled can of reduced fat crescent rolls so it covers the entire surface of the previous layer like a blanket.
    If you like you can hit the dough with a little parmesan and italian seasoning.
    Pop into a preheated oven at 350 degrees for approximately 16-18 minutes or until golden brown.

Let cool a bit and it will hold it's shape a bit better. Leftovers you can cut like a piece of cake and it holds together nicely.

If you all can stop before you get seconds you are a better man than I.

(edited because I had way too much sour cream, start with 3/4 of that tube and add it to your cheese and add more if you need)
    It's kind of like how some people have a sudden and insatiable desire to talk about vampires after the Twilight series became popular, except zombies are much less gay and more likely to exist one day

I am going to be shamed into writing stuff down here. I have a few ringers, I make a good chicken cacciatore, marsala, and piccata, butternut squash bisque, golabki (stuffed cabbage), and a wicked chicken soup, which relies on cooking the bird over wood charcoal first then picking the carcass for stock.

Easy one, my Family Drink:
    Manhattan

Drop three or four ice cubes in a martini glass. Add a drop or two of Angostura bitters, dripped right on the ice. Add equal parts sweet vermouth and Canadian Club whisky. Add a maraschino cherry with a bit of the juice in the spoon, and stir with said spoon. Enjoy.
    I have found that CC makes a great Manhattan without spending a lot; I love good whiskies and bourbons, and occasionally use them for a Manhattan, but there's no need to go mixing top shelf stuff. My latest variation is using a locally distilled moonshine (Onyx, if you are able to find it).

Cory
    ericb327 likes this.

Distinguished Member Array ericb327's Avatar
    make these for your wives when your in the "Dog House"

Polka Dot Brownies Recipe Truality Bar and Grill

554473_4246657337963_2095881064_n.jpg
    For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill. (Sun Tzu) The Art of War

https://www.facebook.com/ninja312

My food and product review blog
    http://trualitybarandgrille.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Cory1022 View Post
    I have found that CC makes a great Manhattan without spending a lot; I love good whiskies and bourbons, and occasionally use them for a Manhattan, but there's no need to go mixing top shelf stuff. My latest variation is using a locally distilled moonshine (Onyx, if you are able to find it).

Cory
    My father has been drinking CC Manhattans for sixty+ years.
    Cory1022 likes this.

There's nothing that will change someone's moral outlook quicker than cash in large sums.

Majority rule only works if you're also considering individual rights. Because you can't have five wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for supper.

Quote Originally Posted by kapnketel View Post
    My father has been drinking CC Manhattans for sixty+ years.
    Traditionally Manhattans are made with Rye Whiskey so it makes sense that CC goes well.
    For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill. (Sun Tzu) The Art of War

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Here's my favorite recipe: Bourbon with a splash of Coke in a tall glass. Good for all occasions.
    I like my bourbon as follows... 2oz of Jack Danials, 1oz sweet vermouth, 1 dash bitters, 1 tsp cherry juice. Pour all into glass over lots of ice and mix well. Repete when glass becomes empty.
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

NRA Member

Quote Originally Posted by rottkeeper View Post
    I like my bourbon as follows... 2oz of Jack Danials, 1oz sweet vermouth, 1 dash bitters, 1 tsp cherry juice. Pour all into glass over lots of ice and mix well. Repete when glass becomes empty.
    As a Kentucky Colonel, I am forced to correct one thing in your post-Jack Daniels is not bourbon, it is whiskey. (said in my best Foghorn Leghorn voice).

Quote Originally Posted by kapnketel View Post
    As a Kentucky Colonel, I am forced to correct one thing in your post-Jack Daniels is not bourbon, it is whiskey. (said in my best Foghorn Leghorn voice).

Temporary insanity, I do know better.

I haven't quite figured out what to call the Manhattan with moonshine. Bowery bootleg? I don't know.
    Man, did I waste a lot of years not drinking these things though.

I made on of my favorite recipes last night-reservations at Jean-Robert's Table. Excellent meal!
    ericb327 likes this.

Sea Scallops Parm....

1lb sea scallops
    1 cp chablis
    tsp chopped garlic
    fresh basil about 2tsp chopped
    Mozzerella cheese
    fresh lemon
    1/4 lb butter
    olive oil

Heat a cast iron pan with about a 1/4cp of olive oil, (must have pan very hot before adding rest] toss in garlc and let turn golden brown. Then add scallops and basil untll scallops are browned but not fully cooked. Remove scallops and put in casserole dish and set aside. Add the butter and wine into the pan and simmer so as not reduce the sauce too much. Pour some over scallops and set the rest aside, put scallops under broiler for a couple minutes then cover them with mozz cheese and let stand until cheese is a nice brown. When this is done I usually have already had a pot of angel hair pasta cooking, you can lay the scallops and sauce over the pasta or serve the pasta on the side with the sauce left in the pan that you set aside earlier.

I slice the lemon and use it as a garnish to be used to taste.

This works great if you have the indivdual serving casserole dishes, if not that's o.k..

Remember imagination is the best ingredient in any recipe, so fell free to try it and add your own ideas and let me know how they work out for ya.
    ericb327 likes this.
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

NRA Member

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Links