Food & Drink: Post your recipes what you're drinking and where your eating. - Page 5

Food & Drink: Post your recipes what you're drinking and where your eating.

This is a discussion on Food & Drink: Post your recipes what you're drinking and where your eating. within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Since I live in Wisconsin, here's how I used to make a brandy old fashioned sweet. 2-3 oz brandy 5-6 drops of Angostra bitters a ...

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
Like Tree107Likes

Thread: Food & Drink: Post your recipes what you're drinking and where your eating.

Since I live in Wisconsin, here's how I used to make a brandy old fashioned sweet.

2-3 oz brandy
    5-6 drops of Angostra bitters
    a splash of grenadine
    a few ice cubes
    top off glass with about a half a can of 7-up
    Your number one Option for Personal Security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation. - Rule #23 in the USMC rules for gunfighting.

Old overholt rye whiskey , one icecube... let it sit just a bit.. repeat until you forget about Tuesday night
    OldVet and Spirit51 like this.
    Politicians and diapers have one thing in common. They should both be changed regularly, and for the same reason.

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    I had a receipe for making Kalua but drank so much I forgot it.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Re: Food & Drink: Post your recipes what you're drinking and where your eating.

White Russian - half & half, vodka and Khalua :p

George
    Smile. It makes people wonder what you are up to

Quote Originally Posted by ayce2 View Post
    Old overholt rye whiskey , one icecube... let it sit just a bit.. repeat until you forget about Tuesday night
    ... and forget where all the whiskey went, while the cubes were melting. Where's the part where we get down to drinking?
    atctimmy likes this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Re: Food & Drink: Post your recipes what you're drinking and where your eating.

Appleton (dark rum) with a splash of coke in a high ball glass @ room temperature.

-- I don't always post from my mobile but when I do, I prefer Tapatalk.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

VIP Member
    I'll add a fancy drink recipe from my youth.

This recipe came from a little bar in the town of June Lake California. June Lake sits high up in the Sierra Nevada Mountains and IMO this drink has the perfect name.

The Sierra Stumbler:

Using a Tom Collins glass add:

1 oz Malibu rum

1/2 oz Bacardi 151

Fill glass near to the top with chilled pineapple juice

Top with a splash of cranberry juice for color. Do not stir as the cranberry juice will leach down into the pineapple juice and look "purdy".

Enjoy.

It is a sweet drink that you think you can drink all night but be careful because it will knock you on your rear. The name Sierra Stumbler is very appropriate.
    OldVet likes this.

VIP Member
    Curious about a couple of food items.
    1. Oysters? How widespread is the notion of eating raw oysters? Around here, you typically put a raw oyster on top of a saltine and top it with some combination of hot sauce, cocktail sauce, or horseradish. Wash down with beer.

Oysters go good in seafood gumbo, but we've found that they should not be cooked in the gumbo with everything else. We cook them separate and add them to a bowl as its being served.

Fried oysters are good too.

2. Hog head cheese. How widespead is this wonderfully named meat dish? FWIW, I'm sure this got started in the old days when food was treasured and not wasted, at hog slaughter time (usually the Fall down here). The head would be "cleaned" then boiled, after boiling, the head meat was separated, ground with spices added, and put into a loaf type pan and chilled. Sliced and eaten. It might sound gross to some, but it's good, and BTW if it sounds gross, do you know what all is in bologna?

Funny story. My grandmother lived nearby the same town I attended college. She called me one day and asked me to go by the processing plant to pick up a hog head for her. Of course I didn't ask any questions, it was Fall and I knew exactly what she had in mind. They had a chilled hog head saved for her and put it in a big cardboard box and covered it with a piece of white butcher paper. I put it in the back seat of my car. I called my girlfriend (city girl with California roots)at the dorm and asked her did she want to ride out with me to my grandmothers house? She agreed and so I stopped by her dorm to pick her up. After a few minutes in the car she asked me what was in the box in the backseat? With a slight, maybe devious grin, I suggested she pull the paper off and look for herself. She did..............and SCREAMED as she saw this hog head looking back at her. I think she asked me "what's wrong with you". My answer was "Nothing, my grandmother asked me to pick it up for her". And so for her that began the discussion of hog head cheese, something she or her family had never heard of, much less eaten. BTW, that young college gal has been my wife for 38 years, and the head-in-the-box is one of her favorite stories to tell these days.

Hogs Head Cheese
    ericb327 and EastCoastMojo like this.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Distinguished Member Array kapnketel's Avatar
    Anybody notice this thread has gone to "Drink & Food" from "Food & Drink"?
    ericb327, atctimmy and tclance like this.
    I'd rather be lucky than good any day

There's nothing that will change someone's moral outlook quicker than cash in large sums.

Majority rule only works if you're also considering individual rights. Because you can't have five wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for supper.

Distinguished Member Array ericb327's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ppkheat View Post
    Curious about a couple of food items.
    1. Oysters? How widespread is the notion of eating raw oysters? Around here, you typically put a raw oyster on top of a saltine and top it with some combination of hot sauce, cocktail sauce, or horseradish. Wash down with beer.

Oysters go good in seafood gumbo, but we've found that they should not be cooked in the gumbo with everything else. We cook them separate and add them to a bowl as its being served.

Fried oysters are good too.

2. Hog head cheese. How widespead is this wonderfully named meat dish? FWIW, I'm sure this got started in the old days when food was treasured and not wasted, at hog slaughter time (usually the Fall down here). The head would be "cleaned" then boiled, after boiling, the head meat was separated, ground with spices added, and put into a loaf type pan and chilled. Sliced and eaten. It might sound gross to some, but it's good, and BTW if it sounds gross, do you know what all is in bologna?

Funny story. My grandmother lived nearby the same town I attended college. She called me one day and asked me to go by the processing plant to pick up a hog head for her. Of course I didn't ask any questions, it was Fall and I knew exactly what she had in mind. They had a chilled hog head saved for her and put it in a big cardboard box and covered it with a piece of white butcher paper. I put it in the back seat of my car. I called my girlfriend (city girl with California roots)at the dorm and asked her did she want to ride out with me to my grandmothers house? She agreed and so I stopped by her dorm to pick her up. After a few minutes in the car she asked me what was in the box in the backseat? With a slight, maybe devious grin, I suggested she pull the paper off and look for herself. She did..............and SCREAMED as she saw this hog head looking back at her. I think she asked me "what's wrong with you". My answer was "Nothing, my grandmother asked me to pick it up for her". And so for her that began the discussion of hog head cheese, something she or her family had never heard of, much less eaten. BTW, that young college gal has been my wife for 38 years, and the head-in-the-box is one of her favorite stories to tell these days.

Hogs Head Cheese
    True about the oysters in gumbo!
    For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill. (Sun Tzu) The Art of War

https://www.facebook.com/ninja312

My food and product review blog
    http://trualitybarandgrille.wordpress.com/

What am I drinking? Whatever cold beer is in the fridge. What am I having for dinner? Well, that's Roast and Rice and Gravy!

The trick to making a perfect roast is that you cook it at a really high heat for a really short time, and then let it sit in the hot oven. I use a stainless covered roaster, but a stoneware roaster will work too, just needs a lid and to be oven safe.

Preheat the oven to 500 and set the rack to the second from the lowest position.

I start by thoroughly oiling the inside of the roaster with veg or light olive oil. Just pour the oil in and tilt the pan all around to distribute the oil up the sides of the pan bottom, use a paper towel to coat the inside of the lid for easy cleanup. Set a rack inside the roaster so that the meat is not resting directly on the bottom. Coat the roast (I like to use Eye of the Round for this) with oil and season with salt and pepper, and place on the rack. Cover with the lid. Place in the preheated oven and cut the temp back to 475. Cook for 7 minutes per pound. (For a 2lb roast you will cook it for 14 minutes) Then, when the time is up cut the stove off but leave the roast in the hot oven for 30 minutes per pound. Don't open the oven door at all during this time.

When the roast is done and resting start cooking the rice, that will take about 20 minutes. Let the roast rest for at least 10 minutes before carving, carve on a cutting board that has a well around the edge for catching juices and add these juices to the pan juices that collected in the roasting pan. Place carved slices on a warm plate in the oven and crack the door.

For the gravy you will start by making a roux. While that sounds fancy it is really just melted butter with flour stirred into it. I use 1 1/2 sticks of butter, melt it over medium-low heat and then stir in a few tablespoons of flour to thicken. Stir and keep an eye on it until it starts to brown slightly, then add the pan juices. If your roast did not make a lot of juices you can also add beef broth at this point to expand the gravy. I will add a whole bunch of fresh cracked pepper, a little salt and just a dash of Worcestershire too. Crank the heat up to medium and stir constantly, add a little more flour if needed to thicken.

The roast will be done but a bright pink in the center. Great for a cool fall evening with the family! If anyone tries this I hope you enjoy!

OK, recipe for what I'm drinking: one glass and one bottle of Jameson's. Pour latter into former, drink, repeat.

Where I'm eating: Either in the La-Z-Boy in front of the tube (well, flattie!) or at the table if wife insists.

Quote Originally Posted by dbglock View Post

OK, recipe for what I'm drinking: one glass and one bottle of Jamison's. Pour latter into former, drink, repeat.

Where I'm eating: Either in the La-Z-Boy in front of the tube (well, flattie!) or at the table if wife insists.
    You mean Jameson"s Right? lol
    For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill. (Sun Tzu) The Art of War

Quote Originally Posted by ericb327 View Post
    Ouch! I knew that looked wrong but didn't bother. Hey, what does a Kentucky Bourbon Head know about Irish whiskey anyway?
    atctimmy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by ericb327 View Post
    I worked in wine and spirits for 14 years. Have had more than my share of of Irish!

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links