Food & Drink: Post your recipes what you're drinking and where your eating.

This is a discussion on Food & Drink: Post your recipes what you're drinking and where your eating. within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Originally Posted by ericb327 I worked in wine and spirits for 14 years. Have had more than my share of of Irish! I figured it ...

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast
Like Tree107Likes

Thread: Food & Drink: Post your recipes what you're drinking and where your eating.

Quote Originally Posted by ericb327 View Post
    I worked in wine and spirits for 14 years. Have had more than my share of of Irish!
    I figured it was illegal to transport foreign whiskey into KY!

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by l1a1 View Post
    Made Shephards Pie with Venison tonight.

2 pounds ground venison
    1 large onion chopped
    about 4 or 5 cups prepared mashed taters. I cheated and used instant as that was all I had.
    Assorted canned veggies. I used a can of corn, and one can of peas/carrots (mixed).
    1 cup brown gravy. Also cheated and used one of the premade gravy packets.

Preheat oven to 400F.

Brown the deer and season to taste, add the chopped onion and saute until the onion is your desired level of doneness.
    I would say drain the ground deer but it's so lean it probably won't be necessary. Add garlic to taste. About 3 or 4 tbls of the minced stuff worked for me.

While the meat is browning prepare the mashed taters, gravy and veggies. I seasoned the veggies with salt, pepper, a tbs of butter and got cooked them a bit while the meat was browing.

Spread the meat mixture into a 13x9 pan. Layer the veggies over the meat mixture. Pour the gravy over the entire thing. Layer the taters over the top of the meat mixture and pop
    into the oven for 15 or 20 minutes. To brown the taters you can place the oven on broil the last couple of minutes and watch until you have the desired results.
    I made this for the family last night with ground turkey and ground beef instead of the venison, and frozen mixed vegetables instead of the canned. I used the same fake potatoes and fake gravy mix. Added some ground Ancho and Chipotle seasoning as well as cumin seed and ground oregano to the meat mixture (I tend to put a Southwest twist to everything I cook). Everybody enjoyed the meal, and it's so easy to make with things on hand, I'll make it again.

Thanks for sharing this!
    OldVet and l1a1 like this.
    Never pick a fight with an old man...If he's too old to fight, he'll just kill you - John Steinbeck
    Come to Colorado...the governor is loopy
    .................................................. .................................................. ......................They Live

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I worked in wine and spirits for 14 years. Have had more than my share of of Irish!
    Bragger!
    ericb327 likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Distinguished Member Array ericb327's Avatar
    For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill. (Sun Tzu) The Art of War

https://www.facebook.com/ninja312

My food and product review blog
    http://trualitybarandgrille.wordpress.com/

Fry some plantians with butter and garlic with a limeand dill pork loin.......... I LOVE the food that come outta the caribbean!

l1a1 and ericb327 like this.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Holy cow guys. The cuban recipes sound awesome. I've never had any carribean food but I might have to try those last two from Eric and GSB.
    goldshellback likes this.
    It's kind of like how some people have a sudden and insatiable desire to talk about vampires after the Twilight series became popular, except zombies are much less gay and more likely to exist one day

Ok, here we go.....before start you'll need beer... strictly for you to drink while making the roux...Muscadine wine is even better...

GSB's gumbo...

This is for 3 to 4 quarts.... YOU have to adjust to YOUR liking and HOW MANY folks your feedn'...

At least 1 LARGE fryer (or... go with two bags of the frozen chicken brests AND thighs...)
    one to two pounds of sausage... (Any Hillshire Farms 'type' stuff works, but any Andouille sausage is best.... kilbasa even works if you have nuthin' else...)
    ...* I go with two lbs..... the more the better

1 cup of all-purpose flour
    1 cup of oil (I use olive oil but vegi-oil or corn oil works perfectly...)
    1 LARGE onion chopped.... as fine or course as YOU like
    1 LARGE Bell Pepper...same as the onion

SPICES: (ALL one tbl spoon or so...... this is to YOUR taste)
    Cayenne pepper
    4 cloves of garlic (at LEAST)
    black pepper
    salt
    Oregano
    Thyme
    Sage
    Bay leaves, from 3 to a small handfull....
    McCormicks Italian seasoning
    Lea & Perrins Worscherire sause...2 to 4 tlbs
    Louisiana (brand) Cajun Seasoning OR Tony Chachere's cajun seasonings (use this in plase of the salt IF you have it)

*** ALL spices and seasonings are to taste !!! Ues 1 tbls of each and go from there.... ***

Here we go... slow boil the chicken (at least 2 hours..... simmering) with onion power, garlic powder, cajun seasoning, sage, etc....
    *Debone (or cut up) the chicken after it's done...SAVE the broth !!! 3 quarts at least, but water with chicken boullion cube helps if short...

The Roux: 1 cup of oil and 1 cup of flour... stir over med. to hi. heat... STAY WITH IT ! If it burns, throw it out and start over. Burnt roux is as useful as a cur guard-dog. *THAT MEANS PAY ATTENTION!*.... Don't leave it..... TLC is required here! STIR CONSTANTLY !!!
    When this roux is the color of a brown paper-bag or penut-butter, add the onions and bell peppers and 'half' the cyannee pepper and black pepper (and salt OR the Cajun Seasonings).

When the onions start 'clearing up' and the roux is the color of choclate... add the sausage and cook for 5 -10 min. STIRRING CONSTANTLY !!!
    NOW, add the chicken stock...ONE LATEL AT A TIME... stirring each latel in as you pour it.... add water til you get to 3 1/2 quarts or so..... bring to a rolling boil and taste
    add the garlic and the bay leaves, and Worcestershire sauce and let boil for at least 10 min. Taste..... add what YOU THINK needs to go in it!
    Also add all rest of the seasonings.... and let it (simmer) for 10 min. or so...

...then taste it AGAIN... add what you think needs to go in it. REMEMBER, go easy until you get the desired taste YOU want.... it IS YOUR Gumbo !
    After 10-15 min. add you deboned/cut up chicken.... and cook for another 15 - 30 min.

When it's done, serve over rice or all by it's lonesome. This is Cajun Comfort Food !!!

(Side Notes)...
    Add or subtract what YOU think you need... this is to YOUR Tastes.. be it seasonings, meats, whatever
    Chicken broth is best, but tap water will work just fine...
    PAY ATTENTION and stir the roux CONSTANTLY !!! Your LOVE (or lack of) will show here in this step... (many an older cajun has 'beat' this into me... i.e my dad and my Paw-Paw!)
    *** NOTICE*** I did NOT put celery or okra in this recipe.... I dislike 'em both. YOU want celery, add it with the onions and bell peppers (the Holy-Trintry)
    As for the okra (frozen OR fresh), add it directly after you bring the roux and broth/water to a boil.***** I do NOT like celery and I HATE okra***** I'm from south Louisiana and I admit I don't care for that 'stuff' in MY gumbo !!!
    Here's the catch..... it's absolutly WONDERFUL right off the stove, but,.... if you put the whole pot in the fridge for the next day.... then heat it up.... it JUST as good, if not BETTER, the next day !!!

I made this yesterday with Russian beef sausage and a yard-bird I met just before the 'slaughter'....... I AM in Kyrgyzstan.....
    *Only want half of what I made ( 3 quarts)....... cut the recipe in half (1-1/2 to 2 qts.).. again, this is YOUR GUMBO. Put all the chicken and sausage in it YOU want !!!

Enjoy and Love what's created !!!
    l1a1, Cory1022 and Dadsnugun like this.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Quote Originally Posted by goldshellback View Post
    Ok, here we go.....before start you'll need beer... strictly for you to drink while making the roux...Muscadine wine is even better...

GSB's gumbo...

This is for 3 to 4 quarts.... YOU have to adjust to YOUR liking and HOW MANY folks your feedn'...

At least 1 LARGE fryer (or... go with two bags of the frozen chicken brests AND thighs...)
    one to two pounds of sausage... (Any Hillshire Farms 'type' stuff works, but any Andouille sausage is best.... kilbasa even works if you have nuthin' else...)
    ...* I go with two lbs..... the more the better

1 cup of all-purpose flour
    1 cup of oil (I use olive oil but vegi-oil or corn oil works perfectly...)
    1 LARGE onion chopped.... as fine or course as YOU like
    1 LARGE Bell Pepper...same as the onion

SPICES: (ALL one tbl spoon or so...... this is to YOUR taste)
    Cayenne pepper
    4 cloves of garlic (at LEAST)
    black pepper
    salt
    Oregano
    Thyme
    Sage
    Bay leaves, from 3 to a small handfull....
    McCormicks Italian seasoning
    Lea & Perrins Worscherire sause...2 to 4 tlbs
    Louisiana (brand) Cajun Seasoning OR Tony Chachere's cajun seasonings (use this in plase of the salt IF you have it)

*** ALL spices and seasonings are to taste !!! Ues 1 tbls of each and go from there.... ***

Here we go... slow boil the chicken (at least 2 hours..... simmering) with onion power, garlic powder, cajun seasoning, sage, etc....
    *Debone (or cut up) the chicken after it's done...SAVE the broth !!! 3 quarts at least, but water with chicken boullion cube helps if short...

The Roux: 1 cup of oil and 1 cup of flour... stir over med. to hi. heat... STAY WITH IT ! If it burns, throw it out and start over. Burnt roux is as useful as a cur guard-dog. *THAT MEANS PAY ATTENTION!*.... Don't leave it..... TLC is required here! STIR CONSTANTLY !!!
    When this roux is the color of a brown paper-bag or penut-butter, add the onions and bell peppers and 'half' the cyannee pepper and black pepper (and salt OR the Cajun Seasonings).

When the onions start 'clearing up' and the roux is the color of choclate... add the sausage and cook for 5 -10 min. STIRRING CONSTANTLY !!!
    NOW, add the chicken stock...ONE LATEL AT A TIME... stirring each latel in as you pour it.... add water til you get to 3 1/2 quarts or so..... bring to a rolling boil and taste
    add the garlic and the bay leaves, and Worcestershire sauce and let boil for at least 10 min. Taste..... add what YOU THINK needs to go in it!
    Also add all rest of the seasonings.... and let it (simmer) for 10 min. or so...

...then taste it AGAIN... add what you think needs to go in it. REMEMBER, go easy until you get the desired taste YOU want.... it IS YOUR Gumbo !
    After 10-15 min. add you deboned/cut up chicken.... and cook for another 15 - 30 min.

When it's done, serve over rice or all by it's lonesome. This is Cajun Comfort Food !!!

(Side Notes)...
    Add or subtract what YOU think you need... this is to YOUR Tastes.. be it seasonings, meats, whatever
    Chicken broth is best, but tap water will work just fine...
    PAY ATTENTION and stir the roux CONSTANTLY !!! Your LOVE (or lack of) will show here in this step... (many an older cajun has 'beat' this into me... i.e my dad and my Paw-Paw!)
    *** NOTICE*** I did NOT put celery or okra in this recipe.... I dislike 'em both. YOU want celery, add it with the onions and bell peppers (the Holy-Trintry)
    As for the okra (frozen OR fresh), add it directly after you bring the roux and broth/water to a boil.***** I do NOT like celery and I HATE okra***** I'm from south Louisiana and I admit I don't care for that 'stuff' in MY gumbo !!!
    Here's the catch..... it's absolutly WONDERFUL right off the stove, but,.... if you put the whole pot in the fridge for the next day.... then heat it up.... it JUST as good, if not BETTER, the next day !!!

I made this yesterday with Russian beef sausage and a yard-bird I met just before the 'slaughter'....... I AM in Kyrgyzstan.....
    *Only want half of what I made ( 3 quarts)....... cut the recipe in half (1-1/2 to 2 qts.).. again, this is YOUR GUMBO. Put all the chicken and sausage in it YOU want !!!

Enjoy and Love what's created !!!
    Nothing like a good roux! Thanks for the inspiration.
    For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill. (Sun Tzu) The Art of War

I'm the guy next door that is polite, but does not tell you crap.
    Well............. um...........

I just put together a Chineese Chicken Salad... (no Chineese Nationals were harmed in the process)

Got a big box of wine.......

Also built (to be cute) a Stone Hedge Monolith out of cheese to eat with it.

Well, the thirded portion of the veggie-beef soup lasted 10 days. Second batch of the stock and soup is bubbling away right now. Mmmmm, the whole house smells wonderful. C'mon, Thursday.

Time to dig through the recipes above, to see what's good for tonight.

Sorry about not posting any good ones (recipes), here. In a recent move, I apparently mislaid all the recipes. Have been winging it, since. Which is leading to a few interesting and wonderful concoctions, but nothing written down yet.
    ericb327 likes this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Here's one my Granny used to make for us (she'd whack me if she knew I called her that on a public forum). I'll be making it once again next week even though I can't eat the whole thing.

Pumpkin Cream Cheese Pie - Better Homes & Garden 1967
    Combine:
    8 ounces cream cheese softened
    1/4 cup sugar
    1/2 teaspoon vanilla
    Add 1 egg
    Mix well and spread on bottom of 9 inch unbaked pie shell (I've always used store bought graham cracker crust)

Combine:
    1 1/4 cup pumpkin
    1/2 cup sugar
    1 teaspoon cinnamon
    1/4 teaspoon each nutmeg and grated orange rind
    Mix well, and blend in 2 slightly beaten eggs, dash of salt, and 1 cup evaporated milk. Carefully pour over cheese mixture. Bake 350-degree for 67 or 70 minutes or until done. Cool.
    ericb327 likes this.
    "I believe there are more instances of the abridgment of the freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments of those in power, than by violent and sudden usurpations” – James Madison 1788

Bagged a pheasant today, figuring out what to do with it.

Distinguished Member Array kapnketel's Avatar
    I marinate the breast in Italian dressing and bake.
    I'd rather be lucky than good any day

There's nothing that will change someone's moral outlook quicker than cash in large sums.

Majority rule only works if you're also considering individual rights. Because you can't have five wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for supper.

My metal band: Born under Sirius

Glock 23, mic holster, clipdraw, abdominal carry.

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast

Links