Food & Drink: Post your recipes what you're drinking and where your eating.

This is a discussion on Food & Drink: Post your recipes what you're drinking and where your eating. within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I've been doing a lot of writing lately. Recipes, Restaurant Reviews and Product Reviews. I love to share my knowledge in food and spirits and ...

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree107Likes

Thread: Food & Drink: Post your recipes what you're drinking and where your eating.

Distinguished Member Array ericb327's Avatar

I've been doing a lot of writing lately. Recipes, Restaurant Reviews and Product Reviews. I love to share my knowledge in food and spirits and would love to what other people are liking. When I travel I like to try new places. This would be a great place to have restaurant recommendations for your local and share with others.

I know this is a defensive carry site but I think a thread like this will add to the family friendly theme.

I will start the thread with one of my favorite recipes.

Vegetable Beef Soup

My mother made a version of this when I was a kid growing up on the Northwest Side of Chicago. I can remember coming home after playing out in the snowstorms with frozen limbs to a nice hot bowl of this soup. I took my mothers original recipe and made some changes and additions to come up with my own. One of the changes was to make my own beef stock using beef shank and shin marrow bones. The stock really makes the broth very rich and hearty. I substituted frozen mixed vegetables for fresh and added celery. This is an all day event if you make the stock the same day. This is one of my favorite recipes inspired by my mom.

Ingredients for the stock:

4-5 pounds beef bones (shank, shin bones with marrow, soup bones)

6 -8 sprigs fresh thyme

1 handful Italian parsley

2 bay leaves

3-4 large carrots halved

4-6 celery ribs halved

2-3 large onions unpeeled and quartered

1 tsp ground pepper

6 cloves whole garlic

Stock

In a large stockpot combine all the stock ingredients with enough water to cover. Bring to a light simmer and let simmer for 2-6 hours replacing water as it cooks off. The longer this simmers the more flavor it will have. I find homemade stock makes the soup richer in flavor. When the stock is done drain it first through a colander into another large stockpot or container. Press down on the mixture to force all the liquid out of the vegetables. For a clearer stock, pour the stock again through a colander lined with cheesecloth. I don’t find this necessary but you are welcome to. Refrigerate the stock overnight to solidify the fat on top. Scrape the fat off the top and discard. Store the stock in mason jars or containers that can be filled and frozen if necessary. The stock will have a jelly like consistency.

Tip: Make sure to pick the bones clean and take out the marrow. This is a delicacy; very rich flavor. I also eat the tendon and bits of meat left over; a nice treat during the process.

The Soup

Ingredients

3-4 pound chuck roast fat and membrane removed cut into thick bite sized chunks.

Homemade beef stock or store bought.

2 pounds peeled baby carrots

2 pounds red potatoes cut to even bite size pieces

6-7 ribs cellery

50 ounces chopped tomatoes (Pomi Brand)

1 pound green beans snapped in half

3 large leeks with greens roughly chopped

1 small to medium package corn thawed to room temperature

1 small to medium package peas thawed to room temperature

2-3 tbsps beef base or 5-6 beef bouillon cubes.

3-4 packs Sazon Goya

5 cloves fresh garlic through a press or minced

3-4 sprigs fresh thyme.

Soup

Heat a large dutch oven to medium high. Drizzle enough olive oil to coat. Brown the beef cubes in batches and remove to a bowl to avoid overcrowding the pan. When all the meat has been browned and removed de-glaze with a bit of red wine or water (1/2 cup). Pour the liquid into a large stock pot and add the beef, celery, leeks, garlic, thyme, beef base, sazon goya and 25 ounces chopped tomatoes. Add all of your beef stock and turn the heat to high. Stir constantly until the heat of the soup comes up. Cook uncovered for 45 minutes at just under medium heat ( vigorous simmer). Add the carrots, peas and corn, water to cover and turn the heat back up to medium high until you reach a vigorous simmer. Turn down the heat to maintain this simmer until the carrots are about 75% done. Add potatoes and turn up the heat to medium high until you reach a vigorous simmer. Turn down heat to maintain your simmer. The soup is done when the potatoes are done but not mushy. Be sure to regulate your seasoning adding more beef base, salt, black pepper as needed.

Serve with hunks of crusty bread to soak up the valuable broth. This recipe produces a lot of soup. Give some away to friends and eat it over a few days. Freezes well.

Enjoy
    For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill. (Sun Tzu) The Art of War

https://www.facebook.com/ninja312

My food and product review blog
    http://trualitybarandgrille.wordpress.com/

2. Remove Ads

OK, I'm gonna share me Sainted Mudder's sloppy joe recipe...it's the only thing I make well.

Brown x number of pounds of 97% lean hamberger (or eqivalent). One Pound makes six to eight samitches.

Mix in a crock-pot the burger, one can of Campbell's Chicken Gumbo Soup for each pound of hamburger you cooked. (Better with the original, but the healthy/low sodium crap will work)

Add three tablespoons of Chilli Powder, 1 tsp salt and 1 tbls pepper, a splotch of ketchup, a dabble of mustard, and chopped onion for each pound you are making.

Stir occasionally sampling and adjusting ingrediants to your taste as you go.

Slow cook all day.

It's actually better the second day or longer if you freeze the leftovers (Fat chance around here) and re-heat.

ENJOY!
    goldshellback likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Zsnake View Post
    OK, I'm gonna share me Sainted Mudder's sloppy joe recipe...it's the only thing I make well.

Brown x number of pounds of 97% lean hamberger (or eqivalent). One Pound makes six to eight samitches.

Mix in a crock-pot the burger, one can of Campbell's Chicken Gumbo Soup for each pound of hamburger you cooked. (Better with the original, but the healthy/low sodium crap will work)

Add three tablespoons of Chilli Powder, 1 tsp salt and 1 tbls pepper, a splotch of ketchup, a dabble of mustard, and chopped onion for each pound you are making.

Stir occasionally sampling and adjusting ingrediants to your taste as you go.

Slow cook all day.

It's actually better the second day or longer if you freeze the leftovers (Fat chance around here) and re-heat.

ENJOY!
    I'm gonna try this right away!
    goldshellback and NONAME762 like this.
    For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill. (Sun Tzu) The Art of War

Both sound great. We do not get much "weather" out here, but it is getting cold and these bone and soul warming meals sound great! Sloppy Joe recipes are a must! None of this canned crud for us!
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

You know, I don't think I've had a sloppy joe since my own Mom used to make them. Since I don't have her receipt I may have to give hours a try!
    NONAME762 likes this.
    Mike

“Arms in the hands of citizens may be used at individual discretion... in private self-defense.”
    John Adams (Americas 2nd US President)

Here's my recipe for Chicken Tortilla Soup

1 Tbsp Olive Oil
    1 Ea Onion
    3 Clove Garlic

Cook all the above until onions are soft (Med Heat)

1 Lg Can Crushed Tomatoes (Crushed)
    1 Can Chicken Broth (14.5 oz)
    2 tsp Oregano
    1 Tbsp Chili Powder
    1 Sm Can Yellow whole kernel corn
    1 Sm Can Green chiles
    2 Ea Chicken Breasts (diced)
    1 Can Black beans
    1 ¼ Cup Water
    1 Tbsp Cilantro (or to taste)

Bring to boil and lower heat to simmer. Put lid on “crooked” for venting. Cook for approx. 1 hr.

To serve, break tortilla chips and put in bottom of bowl, then add Monterey jack cheese and pour soup on top.
    ericb327 and surefire7 like this.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Here's my favorite recipe: Bourbon with a splash of Coke in a tall glass. Good for all occasions.
    Last edited by OldVet; October 29th, 2012 at 03:18 PM.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

My contribution is similar.

Take a 12 oz. glass, add 4-6 medium sized ice cubes pour 3 fingers of your best Scotch over them.
    Enjoy!
    ericb327, ron8903 and NCSoxFan like this.
    LEARN something today so you can TEACH something tomorrow.
    Dominus Vobiscum <))>(
    Where is the wisdom that we have lost in knowledge?" T.S. Elliot

Being stationed out here in northern Asia, I miss home.... but I love getting out and learing new stuff..... This is the first traditional Kergyz dish I had in country. After talking through the language barriers, this is the 'GSB-modified' version of Lagman. This is what I emailed to my daughter when she asked what 'new' stuff I was learning :

Lagman: you'll need,

1 lbs. beef, sliced for stir-fry (I used chuck stew meat....but lamb is what is normally used)
    1 big yellow onion, cut in 1/2 and sliced.
    1 green bell pepper, sliced thin
    1 yellow bell pepper
    4 garlic cloves (or 4-6 tlbs of the jar minced/chopped garlic)
    2 tomatoes
    1/2 to 3/4 cup of sliced carrots
    1/4 cup oil (I used olive oil)
    1 tsp tomato paste
    4 to 6 cups of water (I used 4 but it don't matter.... make it as 'thick or
    'thin as you like)
    spices:
    1 tbl Tony Chachere's(*) (actually it was probely about 1 1/2 tlbs)
    1 tsp cumin (i didn't have any so I 'cheated' and used 1/2 tsp of cayenne)
    oregano and thyme to taste (at least 1/2 tsp)
    1 or 2 bay leaves

*don't wanna use Tony's, go with 2 tsp salt, 1 tsp black pepper*

Getn' it' dun:

Heat up the oil over a med. to med-hi heat (think stir-fry) and dump the meat,
    cooking til they're 'almost' brown.... then dump in the onions and cook til they
    start getting 'clear'. Also dump the Tony's, cumin and *half* the garlic, and
    cook for
    five min. or so.

Now add the 'mater paste, tomatoes, and the other half of the garlic and cook
    for 5 more min.

Add the rest of the veggies and cook for 5 more min...... *REMEMBER*, this is
    over med-hi heat so keep stiring (think stir-fry)

Now add the water, oragano, thyme, bay leaf, and simmer for 30 or 40 min.

Pour over spagitti or egg noodles.

** A few 'thoughts'...... This is a great recipe for two or three people,
    but you'll need to a LEAST double it for the crew at home.
    ** I know it'd be good with egg-noodles, but I've had it with Angel-hair
    and regular 'sgitti..... I think those are the best.
    ** When it comes time to put the water in, put about half of it in at
    first, then you can decide how much more or less water you want in it.
    ** this is a great dish!

As for what I'm drinking....... Crown Royal, neat, and any 'new' beer I get time to try.
    ericb327, kapnketel and NONAME762 like this.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

When I was a new knitter, I would get SO CONFUSED when a knitting pattern said to "Knit the knits and Purl the purls". It just didn't make sense to me. I thought that .....oh, I thought I was in the knitting forum
    NONAME762 likes this.
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

No food recipes to offer, but we just bought a Big Green Egg for grilling/smoking. We had wanted one for quite a while, and now we are enjoying its great cooking qualities.
    Cory1022 likes this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    No food recipes to offer, but we just bought a Big Green Egg for grilling/smoking. We had wanted one for quite a while, and now we are enjoying its great cooking qualities.
    Try this, absolutely anazing. Brined Smoke Salmon. Should be good on the Egg.

IMAG0228.jpg

Smoking | Truality Bar and Grill
    Cory1022 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by suntzu View Post
    When I was a new knitter, I would get SO CONFUSED when a knitting pattern said to "Knit the knits and Purl the purls". It just didn't make sense to me. I thought that .....oh, I thought I was in the knitting forum
    I cook and sew like a man....... but your a bigger man than me if you can knitt. I can't even 'weave' para-cord into those cool looking bracelets 'n stuff.......
    NONAME762 likes this.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

OldVet

I like your recipe, but for me it's Coke with a splash of Bourbon.

I get more mileage to the gallon that way and stay vertical. :-)

ericb327...let me know what you think of the sloppy joes
    NONAME762 likes this.

OldVet

I like your recipe, but for me it's Coke with a splash of Bourbon.

I get more mileage to the gallon that way and stay vertical. :-)

ericb327...let me know what you think of the sloppy joes
    I surely Will!

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Links