Refrigerator + Generator Power question

This is a discussion on Refrigerator + Generator Power question within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; If you didn't want to run your generator around the clock and didn't need it for a few hours (like if it's daytime and you're ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By oakchas

Thread: Refrigerator + Generator Power question

If you didn't want to run your generator around the clock and didn't need it for a few hours (like if it's daytime and you're just sitting around reading), how often do you think you would need to start it and then run it to maintain the temperature in your kitchen fridge \ freezer (ex. 1/2 hour ever 4 hours or 1 hour every 8, etc)?

A lot of times, people ask "how much is in it", freezer is pull out drawer, full to the brim, fridge is 90% full, but not stuffed (every square inch isn't taken up).

Re: Refrigerator + Generator Power question

Rule of thumb: 4 hours for an unopened refrigerator.
    48 hours for a packed freezer. 24 hours for a half-packed freezer.

That's how long the stuff in those items will remain "safe"... Safely cold, or safely frozen.
    pgrass101 and Supertac45 like this.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

I think Oakchas has pretty good numbers. As far as the length of time running a generator or inverter to "refreeze" the freezer or "rechill" the refrigerator it will be at least 25% of the time to warm up. So, for example after 4 hours of refrig warm up time, run your generator and recool the fridge for an hour. 12 hours for the 48 hour freezer... If you open the doors the run time gets extended.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    If you plan on not running your generator for several hours, bags of ice stuffed inside the fridge will keep things cool for quite some time. Did it in FL when hurricanes hit. Same for freezers. Turn temp to lowest setting and fill it with containers of water to freeze and maintain the cold while power is off. Keep openings of Fridge/freezer to a minimum. A cooler of ice keeps kids from opening teh frige to get a cool drink.

The things I found that eat the most power are heat producers--water heater, stove, and believe it or not, a Mr. Coffee that would practically stall a 5500-watt generator. Mine would run anything (except A/C, dryer, oven) but not all at once. I ran the water heater, shut it off, took a hot shower, washed clothes, reheated water, etc. At night, I ran a small window A/C unit to make sleeping bearable in the FL humidity and heat.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Senior Member Array justherenow's Avatar

Re: Refrigerator + Generator Power question

I did a 2 hour on/2 off in June /July when we were out a week and that proved not to be enough, still lost it all

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
    --------------------------
    Gen 4 Glock 32 .357sig and SW M&P 15/22
    Ohio CHL since 1/29/2009
    PA Non-Res 10/12/2010

Those who trade liberty for security have neither. ~John Adams

As a refrigeration service man for over 45 years the average design run time for a refrigerator in a 72 deg ambient is 16 to 18 hours a day. The more product you have in the refrigerator or freezer the longer off time you can get away with. Over a period of 24 hours the run time should be twice as much as the off time.

U don't see people have those chest freezers like u used too. people have lost a lot of money in food during power outages or just something like a breaker trip, freezer quit, etc. if its freezing outside and u got power outage, take the food outside and put where animals can't get to it or put in a cooler with ice from outside in it which I'v had to do in the past during an ice storm.
    The police are not there to protect you from crime, they are there to arrest the guy after the crime has been committed, assuming they find him. It is your responsibility to protect yourself and your family.

The last time I had to do it..... the "hi" temps during the day was +9*F...... so, I put the frozen food outside in bags in the snow. It was -10*F at night. The refrigerated items went outside for 30 min and back into the frig every 12 hrs, which also had "ice" in bags to help keep it cold. LOL .

Good luck with it all. How long are you looking at being without electricity ???
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

+1 on the ice in the fridge and freezer. Fill it almost to capacity. You want as much thermal mass in there as possible. The more air in there, the faster it will heat up. If you can't find bags of ice locally right now,fill plastic containers with water and put them in there.
    "Sooner or later we all must die. Warriors choose to do so on their feet, standing between their enemies and those they hold dear. With a weapon in their hands. Cowards choose to do so on their bellies. Unarmed."

- Dave Gell

For what it's worth. I don't agree with Oakchas since during the ice storm a few winters ago, we lost power for 15 days. I ran our generator spareingly for about 3 or 4 hours at a time, and kept both refrigerator, and deep freeze in safe conditions. Did not lose any food. running for 48 hours is way "over-kill" in my opinion.

both my fridge and freezer are on my transfer switch. they're not the worst power hogs in my house. they do surge a bit when they cycle on but they almost never do it at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Sarge View Post
    For what it's worth. I don't agree with Oakchas since during the ice storm a few winters ago, we lost power for 15 days. I ran our generator spareingly for about 3 or 4 hours at a time, and kept both refrigerator, and deep freeze in safe conditions. Did not lose any food. running for 48 hours is way "over-kill" in my opinion.
    Sarge, I've gone longer, too.... but I posted a rule of thumb... and, IINM, that rule of thumb would guarantee safe food. If your fridge is unopened for 4 hours... the food in it will still be good. If your freezer is unopened for 24 hours (if half full) or 48 hours (if packed full)) your food will still be frozen.

In my poorer days... when I lost my fridge... I used it as an Ice box. Filled 2 liter pop bottles 2/3 full of water and froze them in the chest freezer. Put them, frozen, on top shelves of fridge. rotated them out once melted, put in frozen ones.

Usually, a fridge is about 38-40. If your high temps won't exceed that, you can store refrigerated items outside. But the sun can heat stuff up over the air temp... so watch where you put stuff.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Having spare ice is a really good idea, if you're currently waiting to lose power. In fact, I'd suggest making a shedload of ice and moving it to the fridge once the ice is formed. It takes quite a bit of heat to melt ice, heat that won't then be spoiling your food. As well, remember to keep the fridge closed!
    spend more fighting Ebola than on Thanksgiving dinner. Be grateful it's being fought there, so we don't have to fight it here.

As well, there are millions in potential patents possible for those with a tool shed, ideas, or creative loved ones to tell.. (and gumption) It's an untapped technology.

Links