Here Is What Your Children Are Being Taught In School

This is a discussion on Here Is What Your Children Are Being Taught In School within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; We had mock elections back in the '60's when I was in school. Goldwater got blown out of the water in '64, much to the ...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree46Likes

Thread: Here Is What Your Children Are Being Taught In School

VIP Member
    We had mock elections back in the '60's when I was in school. Goldwater got blown out of the water in '64, much to the joy of Mrs. What's-her-name, and by '68, Governor Wallace made a decent showing my Social Studies class (not really, but a couple of us voted for him, just to keep things lively.)
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

2. Remove Ads

Administrator
    Teach kids about our political process. Teach kids about our Constitution & our Bill Of Rights & Declaration.

Teach the history of our nation. The good and the bad. Not everything regarding our U.S. history is pristine or perfect.

But, do not brainwash little kids in an attempt to steer the outcome of an upcoming election.

And that would apply to both sides of the aisle.

And never attempt to turn kids against their parents.

Senior Moderator
    But there is a point and that is we are responsible for our children's future, and if we let the country go down the toilet we will be blamed.

No matter who is the President or who controls Congress if we don't hold our politicians accountable for the state of the nation. If we don't elect representatives that think beyond the next election cycle, then we are to blame. Congress passes budgets and makes laws, the President executes the laws passed by Congress.

The only reason the office of the President has increased in power since Nixon is because Congress has let let it. Congress's dysfunction has given us the country that we have and the fact that we elected congress and that we keep re-electing them is our fault.

Our children will blame us unless we think about them and not just the next 4 years, and we have the require the people we elect to represent us to have the same long term vision
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

VIP Member
    If I had children in that school, the day that ad hit the TV they would have been withdrawn.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    Teach kids about our political process. Teach kids about our Constitution & our Bill Of Rights & Declaration.

Teach the history of our nation. The good and the bad. Not everything regarding our U.S. history is pristine or perfect.

But, do not brainwash little kids in an attempt to steer the outcome of an upcoming election.

And that would apply to both sides of the aisle.

And never attempt to turn kids against their parents.

I agree with this, and I do get upset at both sides of the political aisle when they start trying to whitewash history, or twist it to support their own political views, i.e. The Civil War was not about slavery and that firearm ownership was rare in colonial America
    suntzu, msgt/ret and zacii like this.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Re: Here Is What Your Children Are Being Taught In School

Regardless of what may happen in other places, that type of stuff doesn't fly in my school...certainly not in my classroom. I don't believe in pushing liberal agendas in my classroom and our administration won't tolerate...we are the minority though.

sent via iCarry

I would hope they do not tolerate either agenda.
    FLArmadillo and msc8127 like this.
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

We’re the children of the future
    American through and through
    God help us!

Public schools have either changed or forgotten American history...today's students have no idea of how this country started.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Public schools have either changed or forgotten American history...today's students have no idea of how this country started.
    Go talk to Texas, they're changing textbooks to blatant lie to kids nowadays. Changing what the civil war was about, erasing Thomas Jefferson, etc. etc. Revisionist conservative history is what it is.

As for this video, sounds like a bunch of people getting upset over nothing. Especially when the same people would likely support Creationism teaching in schools, and indoctrinating kids into their religion.

I'm not surprised at all. In California they have banned the Pledge of Allegiance while requiring that "gay history and contributions to society by homosexuals" be taught in every public school. No matter what the cost, please put your children in private schools and not these sick government youth propaganda camps.
    ErnieNWillis likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by JayTee View Post
    I'm not surprised at all. In California they have banned the Pledge of Allegiance while requiring that "gay history and contributions to society by homosexuals" be taught in every public school. No matter what the cost, please put your children in private schools and not these sick government youth propaganda camps.
    OFFICIAL Preacher Phil Snider gives interesting gay rights speech - YouTube

I don't like having the state forcing it, but Texas forces text book changes that affect the entire US based on their views. Including the contributions of people like Harvey Milk is fine, it shouldn't have to be a law though, it should be included normally.

Quote Originally Posted by JayTee View Post
    Please get your info straight, this statement is unequivocally false. My students say the pledge everyday and I am not required to teach any such thing.
    Sig35seven likes this.
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by BigJon10125 View Post
    Please get your info straight, this statement is unequivocally false. My students say the pledge everyday and I am not required to teach any such thing.
    Oh really?

California governor signs bill requiring schools to teach gay history - CNN

VIP Member
    Personally, I don't think a persons sexual identity should be part of the classroom in ANY way.

If they made a contribution to society, good, teach about the contribution. I don't need to hear about their sexual preferences.

On another note, remember in the book, "1984" that they had a "bureau of history" that spent every day rewriting history depending on the day and which country was winning the global wars...according to Big Brother. They had to do it by hand...tearing textbooks apart and changing newspaper articles to reflect the "New Think". Too bad they didn't have computers like we do now, they could have done it in a couple of keystrokes.
    mcp1810 likes this.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown...eaves%20office

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links