Here Is What Your Children Are Being Taught In School - Page 3

Here Is What Your Children Are Being Taught In School

This is a discussion on Here Is What Your Children Are Being Taught In School within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Originally Posted by Jeanlouise Personally, I don't think a persons sexual identity should be part of the classroom in ANY way. If they made a ...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree46Likes

Thread: Here Is What Your Children Are Being Taught In School

Quote Originally Posted by Jeanlouise View Post
    Personally, I don't think a persons sexual identity should be part of the classroom in ANY way.

If they made a contribution to society, good, teach about the contribution. I don't need to hear about their sexual preferences.

On another note, remember in the book, "1984" that they had a "bureau of history" that spent every day rewriting history depending on the day and which country was winning the global wars...according to Big Brother. They had to do it by hand...tearing textbooks apart and changing newspaper articles to reflect the "New Think". Too bad they didn't have computers like we do now, they could have done it in a couple of keystrokes.
    As 1984 is my favorite book, that doesn't really reflect it right at all. What Texas does is more like the memory hole at the Ministry of Truth.

Texas Conservatives Win Vote on Textbook Standards - NYTimes.com

" “We are adding balance,” said Dr. Don McLeroy, the leader of the conservative faction on the board, after the vote. “History has already been skewed. Academia is skewed too far to the left.”

Battles over what to put in science and history books have taken place for years in the 20 states where state boards must adopt textbooks, most notably in California and Texas. But rarely in recent history has a group of conservative board members left such a mark on a social studies curriculum.

Efforts by Hispanic board members to include more Latino figures as role models for the state’s large Hispanic population were consistently defeated, prompting one member, Mary Helen Berlanga, to storm out of a meeting late Thursday night, saying, “They can just pretend this is a white America and Hispanics don’t exist.”

“They are going overboard, they are not experts, they are not historians,” she said. “They are rewriting history, not only of Texas but of the United States and the world.”

The curriculum standards will now be published in a state register, opening them up for 30 days of public comment. A final vote will be taken in May, but given the Republican dominance of the board, it is unlikely that many changes will be made.

The standards, reviewed every decade, serve as a template for textbook publishers, who must come before the board next year with drafts of their books. The board’s makeup will have changed by then because Dr. McLeroy lost in a primary this month to a more moderate Republican, and two others — one Democrat and one conservative Republican — announced they were not seeking re-election. "

All California has done is require the contributions of gays and lesbians be included instead of ignored/left out, not much like 1984.

mkh
    I agree that the education system should not be indoctrinating our children. The best way to counter that is to teach our children right from wrong and the differences in candidates ourselves.

My kids come home and tell me some of the things their teachers have said and I am so proud when my kids don't buy into their propaganda and even speak out against it themselves.

There are always going to be groups that are perverted enough to try to influence the young and vulnerable and they best we can do is provide our children with the fact needed to think for themselves and to see through the propaganda.

VIP Member
    I think it's also really important that we as parents and grandparents make sure our kids understand that it's ok to question your teachers and not accept everything they say as gospel truth. Not in a rude, disrespecful way, but a thoughtful way.

When I was in Elementary school in the 50's we never questioned our teachers. What they said was fact in our eyes. We also trusted authority and rarely questioned it. It never occured to me that they might be wrong.

Nowdays we have to encourage our kids to think for themselves and that adults aren't always right.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown...eaves%20office

We have home schooled our kid since first grade. She is a senior this year. She has scored in the 95 percentile on the required achievement tests every year. She has done an online course for high school and has maintained a 92 percent gpa. She is very well adjusted socially and emotionally. We never sat at a desk for 8 hours a day mindlessly shoving school data down her throat. She has learned on her own. The only thing we haven't done is beat her up in the bath room or steal her money nor counsel her on how to get an abortion without letting her parents know.. We have brainwashed her to believe in everything we believe is true...jeeez...the Constitution...The Declaration of Independence...Biblical Principles...the values that Christ commanded we adhere to. She saved for her own car, she buys her own gas, she volunteers to work with mentally disabled children, she is looking forward to college, she respects our rules which are not at all rigid, and she has plenty of friends. I'm not sure how the public school system could have improved her current condition or her future. Home schooling does not mean a parent has to invest full time in trying to teach the kid ABC's. There are many ways to educate the kids outside of the People's Republic of Education. If more people will do it the current public education policies will change.
    Jeanlouise, mano3, JayTee and 1 others like this.

Seems like a lot of stuff has been left out of and twisted in textbooks in the past for other's agendas; time for the pendulum to swing the other way. Up to the parents to fill in the gaps. Had to find out a lot of stuff on my own like Jim Crow laws and who backed them, Black Panthers, who actually captured blacks to sell to slave traders, history of the two political parties, history of Native Americans and the fight with whites, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by suntzu View Post
    The class was full of teachers and students getting their education degree. I will make this short.
    We were talking about how far teachers should go in elementary school about the elections. I said the only thing the teachers should do is teach the Constitution, the elctoral process, and basic bio information about the candidates (B-day, college, jobs, family, ect...)
    One lady said that was their job becasue the PARENTS do not do it at home and the teachers were better at telling the students which candidate is better than the other. At this point my blood boiled.
    Another lady said at her school they have a mock election but the ballots are not secret. The teacher will look at them and then advise the child why they chose the wrong candidate. Ove 80 percent in the room thought that was a great idea.Thought you would appreciate that
    Thanks suntzu! Now I need to punch or shoot something...
    US Air Force, 1986 - 2007

"To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them..." George Mason

http://www.appleseedinfo.org/

WOW - that video was pathetic. Who are they trying to sway with that video at this point? Undecided voters? Wrong strategy for that.

When I was in elementary school (not really that long ago), the overly protective "shelter your kids" school system had me thinking that:
    -Christopher Columbus landed on Plymouth Rock, leading the Pilgrims
    -they made friends with the Indians who showed them how to plant corn
    -the Pilgrims showed them how to use iron tools and sew and such,
    -then they all sat down and ate out of a big cornucopia and called it Thanksgiving

If that gives you an idea of the caliber of today's education.

Scary now that I look back at it. Glad I was raised to have my own mind.
    As we used to teach in the spook business, carry a 25 if it makes you feel good, but do not ever load it. If you load it you may shoot it. If you shoot it you may hit somebody, and if you hit somebody - and he finds out about it - he may be very angry with you. -- Jeff Cooper

Quote Originally Posted by mano3 View Post
    Thanks suntzu! Now I need to punch or shoot something...
    No problem
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

You should see those adorable kids at recess, goose-stepping in unison back & forth across the playground with their cute little brown shirts & swastika armbands. It's just precious & their folks are soooo proud.
    OD* likes this.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Yes really. You make it sound as if is that way now. It is not. It may be eventually but it is not. I will not start a civil rights discussion here, that's for another forum!
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

Re: Here Is What Your Children Are Being Taught In School

Quote Originally Posted by BigJon10125 View Post
    I would hope they do not tolerate either agenda.
    That's a better statement than I made. I specified the one agenda and to be fair I shouldnt have. Thanks for correcting this!

sent via iCarry
    BigJon10125 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by suntzu View Post
    I will agree with that somewhat. I will tell you a story I heard at college the other night that will tick you off (and most every other intelligent person).
    The class was full of teachers and students getting their education degree. I will make this short.
    We were talking about how far teachers should go in elementary school about the elections. I said the only thing the teachers should do is teach the Constitution, the elctoral process, and basic bio information about the candidates (B-day, college, jobs, family, ect...)
    One lady said that was their job becasue the PARENTS do not do it at home and the teachers were better at telling the students which candidate is better than the other. At this point my blood boiled.
    Another lady said at her school they have a mock election but the ballots are not secret. The teacher will look at them and then advise the child why they chose the wrong candidate. Ove 80 percent in the room thought that was a great idea.

Thought you would appreciate that
    Boiling over

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    It's The Future Children Project

If you get them when they are young enough you can shape and mold them into anything that you want them to be as they get older.
    That was the philosophy of an organization in the 1930's. it was a well documented strategy.

Quote Originally Posted by Piratesailor View Post
    That was the philosophy of an organization in the 1930's. it was a well documented strategy.
    Godwin's Law touchdowwwwwwwwwwwwn!

(Religion had the indoctrination thin in the bag long before the Nazis did)

I don't see why this is a big deal considering it's not new, but that's just me.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links