The “Graveyard of the Atlantic” claims another victim. - Page 2

The “Graveyard of the Atlantic” claims another victim.

This is a discussion on The “Graveyard of the Atlantic” claims another victim. within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; These guys left Connecticut last Thursday, and headed south to NC. Sounds like they were rolling the dice that Sandy was heading somewhere else. I ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: The “Graveyard of the Atlantic” claims another victim.

These guys left Connecticut last Thursday, and headed south to NC. Sounds like they were rolling the dice that Sandy was heading somewhere else. I think I would have gone much farther east.

Before you doubt the captains actions, remember this storm took a track that no other storm in recorded history has taken. The captain was steering to put them in a safe area and based on past storms he was following the historical route. The Bounty has taken on some rough seas before and had no problems. The captain was doing fine until they lost power and couldn't recover.
    oakchas, msgt/ret and atctimmy like this.
    North Carolina Concealed Handgun Permit Instructor
    NRA Personal Protection and Basic Pistol Instructor

Psalm 107:23-32 The sailor's Psalm

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Quote Originally Posted by NC Bullseye View Post
    Before you doubt the captains actions, remember this storm took a track that no other storm in recorded history has taken. The captain was steering to put them in a safe area and based on past storms he was following the historical route. The Bounty has taken on some rough seas before and had no problems. The captain was doing fine until they lost power and couldn't recover.
    But the forecasters have been predicting the storm's path for a week, so any captain would have been aware of where it was most likely going. Yes, ships are traditionally safer at sea than in port during hurricanes, but when things go wrong, they go badly.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

When the navys big ship are in port and a hurricane is heading their way, they get out to sea to ride it out. If u can't outrun it then u keep the bow pointed into the wind.
    The police are not there to protect you from crime, they are there to arrest the guy after the crime has been committed, assuming they find him. It is your responsibility to protect yourself and your family.

VIP Member
    Amazing twist of fate.

Sandy's Bounty victim was descendent of man who led famous mutiny

A woman who died when a replica of HMS Bounty was sunk by Superstorm Sandy was a descendent of Fletcher Christian, who led the infamous mutiny on the original Bounty in the 18th Century.

Claudene Christian, 42, the lead mutineer's great-great-great-great-great granddaughter, was found unresponsive by rescuers after being washed into the sea. Fourteen of the 16 people on board were successfully rescued by helicopter, but the captain of the ship Robin Walbridge, 63, was missing.
    Sandy's Bounty victim was descendent of man who led famous mutiny - Telegraph
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by slugger6 View Post
    Exactly what I was wondering? What idiot made that decision?
    Her captain, who has spent the last seventeen years with her, and is currently the only crewperson missing.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

VIP Member
    Amid all the turmoil going on along the Eastern seaboard, this was also saddening.

May the powers that be, restore order, power, fresh water, and help to those who have lost their home and the few who have lost even more; a loved one.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lchamp View Post
    I don't understand heading toward the storm to avoid it...
    The reason is that, when at sea, there is nothing to smash into. When in port a ship can be crushed to bits against it's pier. As a former sailor I can tell you that it's common practice to get out of port before a huge storm hits. Most ships can survive at sea with less damage that in port. The problem in this case was that the Bounty appears to have had an engineering casualty and lost power. Once the engines are off line you no longer have steering and get turned broadside to the waves and are pounded till you sink or capsize.

I don't know the cause of the engine failure but that is why the ship sank. No engine = no steering = dead.

Quote Originally Posted by kapnketel View Post
    What I cannot understand is why they were out in the conditions they were in. I understand she was not under sail but under power at the time (the bounty did have engines) but still...
    Everyone I know of that has actually been Capt's of ships /boats , etc...... alot of them fishing boats (Lousiana) .... and those in the Navy have told me, the "safest" place for a ship to be is out on the water and in the ocean during a storm.
    When Katrina hit, I know of several that headed immediately out into the gulf to get their boats out on open water ... to ride out the storm. Ships / Boats have a much higher survivability being on the water in a storm. A "dock" is the worse place to be.

The problem with the Bounty was, they lost a generator and their engine power, to keep the bow pointed into the waves to keep her upright , etc. and the bilge pumps going to keep her from taking on too much water.

I've been on one during a freak storm out in the Pacific out from San Diego. That was one heck of a ride.... the bow pointing up about 60* going up the waves, and about 60* down riding down them. Many people got extremely sick, etc. and when we got out of it , were leaning over the sides vomiting. Ironically, it was my first boat ride on the ocean..... and I'm a land-lover.... and I wasn't sick at all. I kidded them that maybe after riding so many bucking horses, I was more used to being thrown around than they were.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Eagleks View Post
    and I'm a land-lover....
    Just to throw out some trivia here. The term is land lubber, not land lover. Land lubber is a slang term for "untrained/unskilled new guy". The word lubber literally translates to oaf, lout or clumsy person. So "clumsy land person" is the literal translation.

GO NAVY!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links