The “Graveyard of the Atlantic” claims another victim.

This is a discussion on The “Graveyard of the Atlantic” claims another victim. within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Granted she was built as a movie prop and used as such but it is sad to see such a majestic ship go down and ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: The “Graveyard of the Atlantic” claims another victim.

VIP Member

The “Graveyard of the Atlantic” claims another victim.

Granted she was built as a movie prop and used as such but it is sad to see such a majestic ship go down and at least one of the crew lose their life. They are still searching for the captain but he has not been found yet.

Hurricane claims famous tall ship off NC coast

ELIZABETH CITY, N.C. (AP) — The final hours of the HMS Bounty were as dramatic as the Hollywood adventure films she starred in, with the crew abandoning ship in life rafts as their stately craft slowly went down in the immense waves churned up by Hurricane Sandy off the North Carolina coast.

By the time the first rescue helicopter arrived, all that was visible of the replica 18th-century sailing vessel was a strobe light atop the mighty ship's submerged masts. The roiling Atlantic Ocean had claimed the rest.

The Coast Guard rescued 14 crew members by helicopter Monday. Hours later, rescuers found one of the missing crew members, but she was unresponsive. And they were still searching for the captain.
    EarthLink - U.S. News

Tall ship's captain still missing; 14 rescued, one dead :: WRAL.com
    NC Bullseye likes this.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

2. Remove Ads

It's sad to see one of the great ships gone. Haven't heard how the Coast Guard Cutter Eagle fared and she's the real deal built in 1936.

Will be interesting to see if there's any chance of salvage and return to service for the Bounty.
    North Carolina Concealed Handgun Permit Instructor
    NRA Personal Protection and Basic Pistol Instructor

I hope they raise her again and can. However, sad that someone lost their life when she went. That's terrible news.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Distinguished Member Array kapnketel's Avatar
    What I cannot understand is why they were out in the conditions they were in. I understand she was not under sail but under power at the time (the bounty did have engines) but still...
    I'd rather be lucky than good any day

There's nothing that will change someone's moral outlook quicker than cash in large sums.

Majority rule only works if you're also considering individual rights. Because you can't have five wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for supper.

Saw this on the news last night, bummer, beautiful ship. Cant believe they were trying to get south through the storm, what were they thinking?
    US Navy Veteren
    Ruger SP101 357 3" Barrel
    Taurus 65 357 Mag
    Glock 19 Gen3
    Walther PK 380
    www.guntoters.com

Sad news indeed. Agree with others, have to question why they were out there in the first place.

mkh
    Quote Originally Posted by kapnketel View Post
    What I cannot understand is why they were out in the conditions they were in. I understand she was not under sail but under power at the time (the bounty did have engines) but still...
    All I know is that they were sailing east to get out of the path of the storm. Don't know if they were already at sea or decided that putting to sea was safer than riding it out while docked. Either way they lost the race and one person lost their life. Sad. Very sad.

Distinguished Member
    I believe they took her out to escape the storm, but got caught up in it.

VIP Member
    According to the posted link:

(((Sal Mercogliano, a maritime historian at Campbell University, said Walbridge decided to move the ship, thinking it would be safer out at sea than at port, which was expecting a 10-12-foot tidal surge.
    According to a post on the Bounty's Facebook page, Walbridge sent a message Saturday night saying he thought harsh conditions would linger even after the eye of Hurricane Sandy passed.
    "We are just going to keep trying to go fast and squeeze by the storm and land as fast as we can," Walbridge wrote to Tracie Simonin, director of the HMS Bounty Organization.
    "They were staying in constant contact with the National Hurricane Center," Simonin said. "They were trying to make it around the storm.")))
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

OD*
    What a shame.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

What a shame. A ship can be rebuilt a life cannot!

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Some ship names ships aren't meant to be used again. Glad no cruise line has chosen Titanic as a name.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Distinguished Member Array lchamp's Avatar
    I don't understand heading toward the storm to avoid it...

Exactly what I was wondering? What idiot made that decision?
    "What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

I'm sure that those that went with her out to sea volunteered...
    There is the school of thought that a ship is better off at sea than at port in a storm such as this. Storm surge may well have destroyed her by dashing her on land, or tearing her asunder had she been moored.

Either way, she was a beautiful tall ship... And my condolences to the families of the lost.

HMS-Bounty-010.jpg
    All that said....
    It could be worse.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links