What are YOUR rules?

What are YOUR rules?

This is a discussion on What are YOUR rules? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I got to thinking about this after watching the movie "The Transporter" and also some reruns of NCIS where Agent Jethro Gibbs (Mark Harmon) was ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

What are YOUR rules?

I got to thinking about this after watching the movie "The Transporter" and also some reruns of NCIS where Agent Jethro Gibbs (Mark Harmon) was saying that his "rule number nine" was to always carry a knife. I thought it really would be a good idea for people to have a set of rules -- their own rules -- that they know they can live by. Not just in the tactical/defense sense, but in life, love, etc.

So, in my effort to create my own set of rules, I'd like to hear some/all of yours!! Go for it, and don't forget to number them!!!
    A man without a blackthorn stick is a man without an expedient. - Irish Proverb

Why so SERIOUS?

Distinguished Member Array Dakotaranger's Avatar
    My Rule number one was taught to me in criminal investigations "when dealing with a suspect ask myself 'why is this person lying to me?' It has served me well whenever I have used it it has never failed me. I have used it when dealing with friends, watching the news, politicians, people at work. The point of this is a person has to convince you they are telling the truth.

Rule number two: No matter what ALWAYS buy a four wheel drive full size pickup.

Rule number three be prepared: In the pickup I keep two winter survival kits, Carhart thermal coveralls, a sledgehammer and everything I could conceiveably need in a three day blizzard.

Rule four bring a gun to a knife fight. Let the bad guy die

Rule five is for us ugly guys, Never trust a beatiful woman if she's hitting on you. She's just going to use you.

Rule six treat those as you want to be treated. While I don't really believe in 'karma' the world is just a better place if a good chunk of people try this.

Rule seven let people in in traffic and don't cuss at them. It makes your life shorter and doesn't affect them at all.

Rule eight If you see a criminal act be a good witness and call the PD, don't be Rambo. This means ALWAYS carring the cell phone

Rule nine ignore rule five and open the door for ANY and ALL women, well may be still don't trust them.

Rule ten never go to the ATM after 2200. Even though I sometimes ignore this one.

Rule Eleven keep a Bible on your dash, it helps you keep rule 6& 7

Rule Twelve I never say anything behind anyones back that I don't tell them to their face with in two days.

Rule thirteen always tell the truth.

Rule fourteen if you have to apologize-apologize you may not have to feel bad about being wrong, but accepting responsibility is the right thing to do.

These are my rules
    "[T]he people are not to be disarmed of their weapons.
    They are left in full possession of them."

Zacharia Johnson (speech in the Virginia Ratifying Convention,25 June 1778)"The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." ~Alexander Hamilton

My Rules:

1) Winning isn't everything, it's the only thing.

2) Respect yourself else you won't be able to respect others.

3) Love like there is no tomorrow, there might not be.

4) Never put someone down, but for luck you could be in their shoes.

5) Find a worthy cause and volunteer for it.

6) Time, not money, is the most precious of commodities.

7) Refuse to submit to the mentality of PC (Political Cowardice)

8) Never say goodbye, it sounds so final.

9) Learn from your dog, he has alot to teach and dog is God spelled backwards.

10) I will never stop learning until the day I die.
    PC has become the term for Political Cowardice.

Rule seven let people in in traffic and don't cuss at them. It makes your life shorter and doesn't affect them at all.
    This makes me think of when we first moved here from the land of the big freeway, road rage and everyone flipping each other off....San Diego. I noticed when people pulled in front of you here they would flip you off and I naturally flipped them off. Kinda like instinct. I started to notice after a while they were actually waving thanks to me, which everyone does here when they are let in traffic, so I adjusted my one finger wave to a regular wave. That's about the only waves you see here and I was probably the only person flipping people off all over town until I got de-freewayed. That was 13 years ago life is definitely much better with the "friendly" wave and people still wave when you let them into traffic, which is very common.

1) Always THINK before you act

2) Always strive to do more good than harm

3) Defend to the extent of your life, yourself, your family, and your freedoms, all other things can be replaced

4) Treat everyone and everything with respect until they demonstrate an unworthiness for it

5) Recognize and respect the dignity in all life, and understand that it is the one thing that, once taken, can never be returned.

and possibly most important

6) There should be no situation from which I do not learn.
    Last edited by robinsonre; October 4th, 2006 at 02:41 AM.
    "Life exists at a level of complexity almost beyond our ability to comprehend. It's a well known fact that if you try to take apart a cat to see how it works one of the first things you have on your hands is a non-working cat" - Douglas Adams

"All things are governed by law" - Hippocrates

Rule five is for us ugly guys, Never trust a beatiful woman if she's hitting on you. She's just going to use you.
    Aw, but that's half the fun; go in knowing she's up to something, but set your limits as to what you'll let yourself be used for. It's entertaining to see how far they'll take it.

Well, I started off with several rules, and pared the list down over time, but then people started demanding that I add certain rules.

Rule one: whatever it is, deal with it. You can whine, cry, or panic later when it's not using up valuable dealing-with-it time.

Rule two: be prepared

Rule three: when you fail at rule two, improvise and take notes

Rule four: when you fail at rule three, get better training

Rule five: if you fail at rule one, admit it. It may really not be your fault, but laying blame doesn't make the problem go away

Rule six: don't let your roommate/spouse find out you peed in the kitchen sink while he/she was hogging the bathroom

Rule seven: if you fail at rule six, tell him/her you took the dishes out first, whether you did or not

Rule eight: don't pee in the shower unless you're actually in the shower

Rule nine: when the landlord says you can use ratshot to deal with the indoor rodent problem, he means .22 shotshells, not 12ga #12s

Rule ten: when in doubt, let somebody dumber and less useful be the test case

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    By the third date, piss her off as bad as possible. Decide if you can live with her like this every day for the rest of your life. If so, apoligize, if not, dump her and treat yourself to a great dinner. (Yeah I had a bad morning already).
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

1) Be prepaired, this is mental and physical.(I was a boy scout, can you tell:).
    2) Not all fights are worth the cost.
    3) If its worth doing, its worth doing right.
    4) Some times its best to keep your damn fool mouth shut.
    5) Dont regret the past.
    a) dont do anything you'll reget.
    b) learn from your mistakes.
    6) Keep a good book in the car.
    7) Some times you need an ax.
    8) Some times you dont.
    9) Knowing when to apply 7 or 8 is tricky.
    10) Watch your back. Some times its a friend there, some times not.

AE

Distinguished Member Array 4my sons's Avatar
    I like the K.I.S.S. method, I guess those engineering classes are good for something after all.

1, Treat others as you would like to be treated.

2, Don't start it, but be damn ready to finish it.

3, WIN. period

That's it.
    "fundamental principle of American law that a government and its agents are under no general duty to provide public services, such as police protection, to any individual citizen." [Warren v. District of Columbia,(D.C. Ct. of Ap., 1981)]
    If I have to explain it, you wouldn't understand

Quote Originally Posted by paramedic70002 View Post
    By the third date, piss her off as bad as possible. Decide if you can live with her like this every day for the rest of your life. If so, apoligize, if not, dump her and treat yourself to a great dinner. (Yeah I had a bad morning already).

Senior Member Array hsuCowboy98's Avatar
    While not necessarily a rule per se: I carry a card in my wallet that reads like this.

This is the begining of a new day. I have been given the day to use as I will. I can waste it or use it for good.

WHAT I DO TODAY IS IMPORTANT BECAUSE I'M EXCHANGING A DAY OF MY LIFE FOR IT.

When tomorrow comes, this day will be gone forever, leaving in its place whatever I have traded it for. I pledge to myself, and God, that it shall be:

GAIN, NOT LOSS; GOOD, NOT EVIL; SUCCESS, NOT FAILURE in order that I shall not regret the price I paid for this day.
    Fear No Evil.

I have a few basic rules. I try to keep it simple.

1. Try to leave things behind, better than you found them.

2. Don't try to make enemies, there are plenty of people who will volunteer.

3. Avoid being untruthful, except when someone is trying to kill you.

4. If you can't have fun doing something, then it probably isn't worth doing.

What are YOUR rules?
    In a general sense ...
    1. Life a full life, one that is not merely inward-directed.
    2. Have meaning in what I do, each day.
    3. Commit to improve the life of at least one person a month (beyond merely the small stuff).
    4. Contribute my time, experience and wisdom where it can do good.
    5. Have integrity in all things.
    6. Smile. Amazing how much our own attitudes color how we see things.

In a tactical/defense sense, basically ...
    1. Always keep the eyes wide open.
    2. Always be thinking.
    3. Never underestimate a situation.
    4. Never fail to have a plan.

It's surprising how tough that is, at first. After more than a decade of continual practice and focus, it's now second-nature ... and I still miss a few things. Still, it has been years since adverse situations blew up on me, so I'm convinced it is working.

Simple prudent measures I have taken include some of the following. Maintain a burn bag, into which every printed address and any personally-identifiable data goes, to be regularly burned in the fireplace and/or barrel. Scout a short list of restaurants and stores ahead of time, so that seating arrangements and sufficient security can be maintained without it becoming a surprise (or impossible). Avoid establishments that have an overt anti-CHL policy, as those are, IMO, pre-cleared robbery zones for criminals or that (legally) disallow weapons. Do not maintain a fixed schedule, so far as I can manage that, which includes alternating my driving routes and stores visited. Always go armed ... always. Keep apprised of the local crime "pulse" as indicated by the PD and Sheriff web sites and my contacts at the PD/Sheriff. Each of these are small steps, but they go a long way toward making it difficult for criminals to target me.
    Last edited by ccw9mm; October 4th, 2006 at 09:33 PM.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Wouldn't it be a lot better place if everyone followed all of the rules that were posted? Of course then we would not need CCW permits or concealed weapons. These rules should be a must read.

This is how I present myself to the world:

1) Dress well. If you look good, you feel good. If you feel good, you do good.

2) Always have a pen/pencil. You just never know when it may come in handy.

3) If you think you have enough, you need one more. (That isn't meant to sound material. Think along the lines of worst case scenario.)

4) Love yourself and your family. Mothers and Fathers are the reason you are here. Siblings are forever. Spouses are willing to put up with your crap. Children are simply precious.

5) Learn many things. Teach what you know.

6) Your head moves on your neck for a reason. Use it. Not everything in front of you is worth looking at...not everything behind you is worth forgetting.

7) Never be afraid to strike up conversation with a total stranger. You may make a lifelong friend.

8) Treat everyone with the respect that you wish to recieve.

9) Trust no one until trust is deserved. (Respect and trust are two different things. I respect that you are a good driver. I'm still not letting you borrow my truck.)

These are my priorities:

1) My family is the most important thing to me. I will destroy anyone or anything that causes them harm.

2) My welfare is second to that of my family.

3) I have every intention of going home to my family. Do you? (This is in regards to encounters in every day life.)

Both of these are my "short" lists.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links