Tipping when you pick up your food order - Page 2

Tipping when you pick up your food order

This is a discussion on Tipping when you pick up your food order within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I give tips to the resturants that bring take out orders to your car,like applebee's......

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree32Likes

Thread: Tipping when you pick up your food order

I give tips to the resturants that bring take out orders to your car,like applebee's...
    goldshellback likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by pscipio03 View Post
    Does anyone ever feel compelled to tip when you pick up a call in order? I have yet to hear a good reason to do so.
    Don't feel compelled, no.

But, as with table service (the assistance, order taking, getting every little condiment/addition when asked, clean-up), the special take-out hardware (containers, plasticware, etc) are added costs above and beyond the food. If it's a place I go to occasionally, now and then I'll chuck a buck into the "tips" jar. Generally not, though, as IMO there's no comparison between relatively inexpensive containers/plastics and a full-service waiter at my beck and call. So far as I can tell, that's tipping about 10x more frequently than the average carry-out pickups that I've seen.

That's a good reason, though it might not be your reason, or even acceptable to you as a good one. But, there it is.

YMMV.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

VIP Member
    I don't tip when I pick up food because it's usually just pizza and not much involved.
    I do tip for delivery and I tip wait staff really well because it's such a hard and usually thankless job.
    I also give our trashmen, mailman and newspaper delivery person a tip at Christmas.

I used to live in Japan and there's no tipping there...even in resturants. At least there didn't used to be. It might be different now.
    It made things so much easier. They were paid a salary and not expected to work for tips.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown...eaves%20office

Intresting thing, My daughter works at Applebee's and she'd MUCH rather work the take-out orders than work the tables inside..... because she's tipped better.

As for myself, I tip for a job well done. Watiers don't make good money and all of them I know really don't get tipped much anyway, be it economy, stingy customers, whatever. The few places I eat at or get take-out from, I tip 'em. I'm remembered and it does help later when I go back..... the wait-staff DO remember you and it shows. I'll throw my loose change in the tip-jar at a coffee shop, but that's usually it. I'll almost always tip the kids doing the car-washes for 'whatever' fund raiser...... I always bring 'em a dirty truck, they deserve it. The guys who work on my automobiles at the mechanic shop I frequent, they KNOW I'll hand THEM (not the boss) a few extra bucks...... and they make SURE the work is done right and is expedited as much as it can be..... extreemly important when I'm deployed and Mrs. GSB has the watch at home!

Out here In the wildes of Kyrgyzstan, I've ID'd the two 'honest' cab drivers..... they don't 'inflate' their prices because I'm American and there's no BS ("You want girls/smoke weed/gamble and party???"). I give 'em a few 'extra' Kyrgy SOM($) and thank them for 'taking care of me'...... and they do. When I need a ride to wherever, these guys are there and do me justice, and I give 'em what I can extra.

Take good care of those doing good by you and it'll come back around. If it don't, go somewhere else because SOMEBODY wants your business AND to see you come back.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

If you don't tip on a takeout order, whatever work that server did to get it ready for you after the cook makes it, she did for free then. Fortunately no one really expects you to leave money for a pick-up order, but if you do, you're instantly unforgettable. Servers get paid $2.13/hr unless their claimed tips (from credit/debit) for that pay period exceeds their hourly pay, in which case 100% of the hourly goes to taxes.

So a good server lives ENTIRELY off our generosity, poor servers live partially off of us and partially off $2.13/hr from the restaurant. We don't tip servers in America to tell them they did good, we tip them so they can pay their rent. We tell them they did good by tipping more.

If you don't have enough to tip, then you don't have enough to go out to eat. I'm a Professional Cook by trade and I get to watch how hard my servers work, and how upset they get when they're cheated by cheap, disrespectful customers over and over again.

Please keep that in mind the next time you go out to eat. :)
    pfries, goldshellback and SuzieQ like this.
    ,____,
    //' British Agent
    "
    "Happiness is a warm Gun."

VIP Member
    I was in Sweet Frog the other day and the cashier had a tip jar. I thought this was weird as the customer waits on themself. The cashier just takes the money. I suppose it never hurts to try...
    357and40 likes this.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown...eaves%20office

I tip very well to my servers. If its out of pocket, good service gets 20% including tax. So, in reality, that ends up being 25% considering you're supposed to figure tip from pretax total. If I'm expensing, I may do 25%.
    Regular service gets 15%, bad service gets a dollar.
    Bar tenders at my local wateringhole will get a massive tip the first time I drink there or the first time they serve me. Trick I learned living in Chicago. I'm always first served even on busy nights.
    But, this is all for service. There is no service beyond normal paying for product during takeout. This type of tipping is relatively new.
    Most of us have worked in the food industry when younger, and there was always tip sharing at my places. So, I don't see how me not tipping for service I did not receive affects a server.
    BritishAgent likes this.

I tip for SERVICE or for DELIVERY SERVICE. If they want a tip I expect them to do something more than bring it to the counter from the window.
    ctr likes this.
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

Well they still took your order, sent it back to the kitchen, boxed/bagged it when it was done, utensils,condiments, rang it in... Maybe not worth %15-%20, but it's worth $0 to them and they knew it from the moment they picked up the phone, and (should) do it with a smile regardless. And they've got a mess of tables to deal with on top of that.

But like I said, it's not the norm and thus not expected. And it doesn't take into account when a Host(ess) takes the order, who's getting actual minimum wage ($7-something/hr), so then it doesn't matter as much.

Also FYI, tipping before tax is a myth/excuse folks use just to tip less. I hear that one a lot. No rule on tipping exists anywhere in the industry I know of except for that %20 is for efficient (but not necessarily above/beyond) service and go from there.

EDIT: As well, and the customer isn't really responsible for this but it's noteworthy; they also spend a couple to a few hours every day opening and closing the front of house/dining room portion of the restaurant, of which they aren't being paid for, or not being paid more than $2/hr for. Notice how all the tables are set, candles lit, everything clean and pretty? That was all the servers work.

That of course may or may not be true for non-restaurant establishments, where service is being paid significantly more than a true $2.13/hr server.
    ,____,
    //' British Agent
    "
    "Happiness is a warm Gun."

Distinguished Member Array Ghettokracker71's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeanlouise View Post
    I was in Sweet Frog the other day and the cashier had a tip jar. I thought this was weird as the customer waits on themself. The cashier just takes the money. I suppose it never hurts to try...
    That is odd, and a bit overdone IMHO. I mean who doesn't like more money? But as someone who recently stepped down from customer service to be a FT student, I didn't get tipped! I've done anything from automotive service writing, service technician, managing quicklubes, and managing a parts store. I've been cussed at, yelled out, had a car battery thrown at me, installed wiper blades in the middle of a hurricane, used my personal car and gas to give people rides, worked through lunch countless times, been threatened, cut myself so bad I needed stitches while working on a customers vehicle, stayed late so someone could get their car, came in early to finish a customers repair job because they needed their car, etc,.(I could go on for a while!)..I didn't get tips or have a tips jar!

Heres when I tip: When their pay depends on it. Mostly Waitstaff and tatto artists. The one cruise I was ever on, they say that the crew largely depends on tips as well, so I tipped the guy who cleaned our stateroom and our waiter.
    BritishAgent likes this.

"To blame a gun for a mans decision is to foolishly attribute free will to an inanimate object"- Colion Noir.

Administrator
    I do because that $$ usually goes into a general tip jar and then it gets divided up at the end of the day.

I do it because I also sit down to eat at the two main places that I sometimes order Take Out from and they deserve it. They all work hard.

I don't tip at any regular fast food place drive through. That makes no sense to me. Nobody does that...do they?

When I order pizza or Chinese, etc. and get delivery I always give a good tip.
    Sig35seven and BritishAgent like this.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Tipping when you pick up your food order

Quote Originally Posted by pscipio03 View Post
    Does anyone ever feel compelled to tip when you pick up a call in order?
    No.

I'm generally a fairly generous tipper when I'm in a sit down restaurant where the wait staff takes my order, brings me my food, makes sure my drink stays full and cleans up after me. In other words provides me with service.

I'm not going to tip a cashier who does nothing more than take my money and pass me my order. That's not service IMO.
    Mike

“Arms in the hands of citizens may be used at individual discretion... in private self-defense.”
    John Adams (Americas 2nd US President)

Sometimes. If they are polite and courteous when I go pick up my food I will. This shows that they care for their customers and they value your business. If they are rude and obnoxious and want you to leave asap so they can fulfill their next order, then no.
    I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

(J.R.R.Tolkien [Faramir], The Two Towers

Quote Originally Posted by davidw View Post
    I think tipping is way out of control. I have a hard time tipping someone for doing their job. Yes I do tip the customary waiter/waitress, delivery person but very few others. Definitely not for pick up. As I said, it just doesn't make sense to me to pay someone extra for doing their job. That includes trash collection, mail carrier and others during the holidays.
    I don't remember anyone ever tipping me when i would worked for the cable company. I ran the warehouse. Wasn't my job to be nice and go into the front of the building and help a customer. Wasn't my job even if there didn't happen to be anyone in the building who could help them. Just because I knew a great deal doesn't mean it was my job to leave the warehouse. They could call for an appointment with a repair man who would help them. Didn't matter that it wasn't my job. I helped anyone I could and sure didn't expect or get a tip.

I think tipping has gotten way out of hand. I do tip the trash man and the mail man. Why? They are out in the cold doing a job I sure don't want to do and I don't think they get paid enough. lol you can't pay me enough to be out in the cold. At least the warehouse was 40 degrees in the winter time. I remember the building manager telling me to close my service window if there wasn't someone to take care of because I was letting cold air into the building lol.
    Our House Is Protected By The Good Lord And A gun. You Might Meet Both Of Them If You Show Up Inside My House Uninvited.

Distinguished Member Array kapnketel's Avatar
    I do not tip at fast food places, but I am a pretty heavy tipper elsewhere.

I waited tables and tended bar to pay for college. I probably learned more about people from that experience than anything in school, or anything else for that matter. I made certain my kids had jobs in food service when younger for that reason. Once you wait tables for a while, you will not treat a server rudely ever again.
    I'd rather be lucky than good any day

There's nothing that will change someone's moral outlook quicker than cash in large sums.

Majority rule only works if you're also considering individual rights. Because you can't have five wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for supper.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links