Tipping when you pick up your food order

This is a discussion on Tipping when you pick up your food order within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Seems about split. Again, I tip for services rendered, not simply just to do it. The day someone does a cartwheel out of the back ...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree32Likes

Thread: Tipping when you pick up your food order

Seems about split. Again, I tip for services rendered, not simply just to do it. The day someone does a cartwheel out of the back with my food and smacks me on the butt while saying "Great game, Coach", and doesn't slop the food around in the bag, is the day I tip takeout. Besides that, waitstaff and bartenders will remain my only tipping groupies. And the cart girls at the golf course, of course.
    Oh, I do tip my Sonic people, too.
    The Starbucks and Caribou ones will usually get my change if they are actually cheery and not in some hipster I hate everyone funk.

2. Remove Ads

It depends. If it is a restaurant that I frequent often, and they remember me - yes. I tip. I tip on the fact that I enjoy their food, speedy service, proper packaging, etc. They remember me as one of the guys that tips for take-out. Then, they do a good job on a more personal level (or so, I'd like to think). For expample: This is especially true with a local chinese joint. They have yet to ever mess up an order, the quality is always what I'm expecting, it's always hot, and its always good portions.

Maybe it's like that anyways, and that's the reason they should be getting my business in the first place - BUT it's not the owner who is preparing the food, taking the orders, packing the food, and knowing I'm the repeat customer. It's the workers. Hence, the tip.

I wouldn't necessarily do this at a large chain. More of a ...support your local business kind of thing.

Never have, don't plan to start.

Never fast food, but we usually tip to the nearest $0 or $5 at places like Chinese or Pizza. It"s usually only a dollar or two.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

Distinguished Member Array SCXDm9's Avatar
    Nearly everyone in a restautant makes less than $2.50 an hour. If they work hard and make enough tips to equal min. wager the restaurant can reduce their hourly rate even more.

Even on pick up several people were involved in putting that order together and all of them (other than cooks) make less than min. wage.

If you want to make your waiter/waitress happy, tip in cash! helps to keep their hourly hate over 2 bucks an hour.

Yes my daughter is a waitress and though she works at a great place that keeps lots of wait staff so we the customers get great service that means fewer table for her and less money. She works hard and most often makes only $8-9 per hour. Out of her tips she has to tip out the bar, the hostest, the expo (guy putting your plate together) and the bus boy!

TIPS

If you enjoyed your service, tip the staff.

If your food sucked but your service was good...TIP! The server didn't cook it.

Food no good, see the manager don't not pay. The waiter/waitress will have to pay for it!

They left a drink off your bill, call it to her attention becuase at the end of the night, she will have to pay for it

.............TO CHEAP TO DO ANY OR ALL OF THE ABOVE>>>. EAT AT HOME!

Senior Member Array GeorgiaDawg's Avatar
    It's my opinion that my tip is a "bonus" for doing a good job. I'm not tipping to make sure they can pay their bills at the end of the month; if they need charity, they can ask for it, but making sure they can put food on their own table is not the reason I go out to eat.
    Thunder71 likes this.
    "For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast." - Ephesians 2:8-9

“The purpose of the law is not to prevent a future offense, but to punish the one actually committed” - Ayn Rand

Senior Member Array highvoltage's Avatar
    I can tell people on this board have never worked in the restaurant business.

Not for walk in takeout orders. I do for curbside when they are providing a service.

Severs are often required to do "sidework" in between taking care of their tables and sometimes running the cash register and taking togo orders is part of that.

Look at it this way, if the restaurant didn't have enough customers, the sever wouldn't have a job.

I found this when I was googling "should I tip for takeout?".

Of course, filling a takeout order isn’t as much work as bringing everything nicely plated to your table, not to mention keeping your water glasses filled and clearing away your dishes. So you need not tip 20 percent. Instead, you should tip somewhere between a couple of bucks and 10 percent. Tip on the higher end if your order was particularly complex or if you had any special requests (like asking the restaurant to fill containers you brought from home). As when tipping for a latte, you should also reward the person with a smile and friendly remark. Should You Tip on Takeout? - Table Manners - Food News - CHOW
    "I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery." - Thomas Jefferson

Re: Tipping when you pick up your food order

Not for drive thru. But to a car hop like at Sonic I'll tip.

I am going to start tipping my FFL. They give darn good service.

VIP Member
    I don't tip for take out and I've stopped tipping for curbside in most cases. Too many of the younger staff don't have a clue what service is. Rarely are basics like utensils, napkins, etc remembered. All too often around here is attitudes. The food may be good but the service is not.

I used to tip well regardless, but now days I expect real service in exchange for a tip. Dining in is almost always pleasant and with good service with rare exception. But take out and curbside, I'm not seeing the level of service beyond going thru the motions to earn a tip.

VIP Member
    For takeout I had to drive to you, come in to your counter and pick up the food. Price your product to pay the staff cause I am not tipping for pickup.

For delivery I will tip unless you have a delivery charge. If you charge a delivery charge, I figure I am already being forced to pay for that service. Sad part is, the delivery charge is almost always less than I would have tipped in its absence.

For dine-in, I start at 20% and go up or down from there. Tipping is an incentive system. You want a good tip, work for it. If you don't feel up to the challenge of earning a good tip (which only requires being cheerful, getting the order right and keeping my drink glass full) then you have set the bar and told me what my business is worth to you. In short, good service gets a nice tip and poor service gets little to none depending.

I don't golf, so no tips there - BUT, if I had a guy at the range that shagged bullets so I could reload them and he picked up all my brass and put it in a bucket or bag - well that would get a great tip. But I am not tipping the guy at the counter to take my $$$ and tell me what lane to use.
    Thunder71 likes this.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

Quote Originally Posted by mwhartman View Post
    I tip when I pick up a take out order. My rationale, someone still has to take my order, prepare my order, pack my order, and take my money when I pick it up.

Do any of you not tip the driver when he/she delivers your pizza?
    I do, at places(mom and pop type) where the person giving it to me took my order on the phone, and sometimes even prepared it.
    mwhartman likes this.
    Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
    Richard M Nixon
    Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician.”
    Jeff Cooper

I'll give ya great service at the store, if you'll tip me with lotsa ammo
    Now,,,, back to our regularly scheduled topic
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links