Had debate with someone about the power of 22LR and what it will do to a human

This is a discussion on Had debate with someone about the power of 22LR and what it will do to a human within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; skull.. He said, even a high velocity, 22LR cannot penetrate a human skull. Shot an empty portable propane tank made up of steel @ 100 ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Had debate with someone about the power of 22LR and what it will do to a human

skull.. He said, even a high velocity, 22LR cannot penetrate a human skull. Shot an empty portable propane tank made up of steel @ 100 yards using cci minimag 36gr HP 1260FPS. So i did a test and. Honestly i didnt think it would go through it being a HP vs Round nose, but I knew for sure it would penetrate a human skull even before this test.

Prior to this debate, the same person said the same thing about a 17HMR @ 100 yards. I laughed so brought up the 22LR instead.

I'm in Law Enforcement and have seen more than 20 people die from 22lr ammunition wounds. These have been chest, head, leg and neck wounds. So I would and do carry a 22lr, mostly when I'm running in shorts.
    gottabkiddin likes this.

VIP Member Array Civil_Response's Avatar

Re: Had debate with someone about the power of 22LR and what it will do to a human

I have no doubt the .22 can do the job, if it fires. My only issue is the reliability of it, at least in bulk range ammo.

Love my CCI Stingers and Mini-Mags though!

Tapatalk - Helping people post from bathrooms since 2009.

Quote Originally Posted by dsump View Post
    I'm in Law Enforcement and have seen more than 20 people die from 22lr ammunition wounds. These have been chest, head, leg and neck wounds. So I would and do carry a 22lr, mostly when I'm running in shorts.
    Welcome to the forum. I will say this every time this topic comes up... the .22 is lethal to be sure, but the main goal in a SD round is to stop the threat as quickly as possible. The .22 isn't a great choice for that... sure it may kill your attacker, but it might be four hours after YOU are dead.
    zonker1986 and BaconHunter like this.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

Anyone who thinks it can't be lethal isn't too smart. People just don't like it as a SD round because a gut shot may not do enough to end the threat then and there.

I would carry around a .22 pistol and not feel underpowered though.

From the sounds of it your friends skull may be the only one that for sure is too thick to be penetrated by a 22LR round.

While not known for being the man stopper round it has done it's fair share of just that.
    Sig35seven likes this.
    North Carolina Concealed Handgun Permit Instructor
    NRA Personal Protection and Basic Pistol Instructor

Trust me, a 22lr can and will do damage and can knock the average person down or back.. The pain alone will stop many. I carry a 9mm as I do want the punch but a 22lr can be dangerous.

One of my SHTF guns is a ruger 10/22 with six 25 round magazines. If somebody is comeing at you unarmed you could easily put them down. If they are armed with a larger caliber rifle you could be a disadvantage depending upon your shooting skills.

If I'm in a SHTF fire fight with somebody and had to choose between a 9mm handgun or the 10/22 I'd chose the rifle with .22LR.

Only a crazy man would stand in front of a .22LR and offer to be a target at the range.

A blow by hand placed well can fracture the skull and kill a man. If your buddy think 40 grains at 1200 fps won't kill a man he's sadly mistaken.

Seems no matter the caliber they all can and do kill.............
    "One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

Ask your buddy if he is willing to shoot himself in the head to prove his point,If he says yes he really is dumber than a box of rocks and probably shouldn't be allowed to play with sharp objects or anything that propels a projectile over 10 feet a second
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

VIP Member
    When I was a kid, my Dad always saw to it that I got a "brick" of .22 LR for Xmas. They were always Winchester brand, simply because there weren't that many brands to choose from in the 1960's. I don't recall a dud round back then either, I have had misfires in today's ammo though. Sigh.....the result of cost-effective mass production?

Nonetheless, IMO the .22 is a nothing to sneeze at, and a great value for your money spent.

I've seen those killed by .22 also. Certainly not the best defensive round out there, but very capable of doing the job.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Don't know what planet he's living on, but now the .22LR has surpassed any other round for killing humans, apparently for simple fact that it's cheap and anyone can afford it. If you don't buy the bulk, cheap junk, 99% time the thing works. I would say that most of the misfires would be Remington ammo as every gun I've tried it in hates the stuff except the 12ga. The UMC is cheap Remington that's the most inaccurate stuff I've encountered in small/large pistol. If I'm not mistaken, didn't the Christians In Action kind of favor the .22 in a silenced version with subsonic rounds for close up work BECAUSE it would penetrate the skull and once inside, rattle around and around, scrambling the brain...maybe just a rumor. Personally love the Ruger Mark II's for it's accuracy and fun to shoot. Given choice between carry for SD, I would take the Ruger any day since if given half a second to aim, could shoot your eyes out at 25yrds. If you can constantly hit a spent 12ga shell at 25yds, much more accurate than the 9mm. Knew a few people that got shot by a .22LR as torso/appendage shots. A torso chest shot will probably stop you pretty dang quick, especially if its the tri-shot fragmentation ammo. One guy know accidentally dropped one and it AD hitting him in chest and luckily he speed dialed his GF saying he was dying. He lived cause she sent help, but as a tough construction working, body builder, he dropped like a wet rag and was unconcscious within about a minute. Unless they're hyped on some drug they won't be much of a threat after 1st round and especially if the other 9 follow it in about a second. That would be about equivalent of 00 buck blast??? Why does you buddy doubt it would work? LOL

I believe the .22 is the round of choice for Chicago's gang bangers. Have you seen the murder stats in Chicago lately?

I have a Ruger SR22. It's not my primary weapon but in a pinch I would use it.

Administrator
    Actually perpendicular to the skull and at close range even the lowly .22 Short will penetrate a human skull.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Distinguished Member
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    The Second Amendment *IS* Homeland Security
    --------------------- Μολὼν λαβέ ----------------------

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links