Not using social media means your crazy? DailyNews article, ridiculous! - Page 3

Not using social media means your crazy? DailyNews article, ridiculous!

This is a discussion on Not using social media means your crazy? DailyNews article, ridiculous! within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Originally Posted by kapnketel Its not just FB, its anything you put on the net. Try googling your forum name and see what comes up. ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: Not using social media means your crazy? DailyNews article, ridiculous!

Distinguished Member Array Lotus222's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kapnketel View Post
    Its not just FB, its anything you put on the net. Try googling your forum name and see what comes up.
    I'm not on FB or other social media. I gave that up after college. My name might not be out on the web very much... but my alias knows no internet bounds, LOL. It's amazing how much people can learn about someone if they can find out one of their internet usernames.

Ironic that the HR department may think you are crazy, yet according to a survey by CEO magazine last year only 4% of the CEOs of Fortune 500 companies have FB profiles. Why?, FB content is 99% useless blather. I am a high tech executive who started my own company a few years ago after taking early retirement as an executive of a Fortune 500 tech firm. I use Linked In extensively and blog because I get a great value out of it. I do not use Facebook because I do not care what you had for breakfast this morning and have no desire to tell you what you what I had. I also detest FB privacy policies. If friends or members of my family want to share something with me they can email me or send me a link. If they do not care enough about me to send me a link or email, I do not care enough to look at what they have to say or show. I have begun to use Google + a bit because I have better control over who sees what and can create 'circles' for real friends and family, a broader range of acquaintances and my even larger circle of 'business' contacts . As for Twitter, it's useful in an emergency such as our recent hurricane, but there is not much of value that can be imparted in 140 characters other than to point to a link

The funny thing is that I am not an old guy Luddite. I am working on the leading edge of cloud and big data text and data mining, but I have yet to drink the FB Kool-Aid because after looking at many FB posts I find little of interest or value in them, Of course I am more than happy to help my clients vacuum up all of that blather and create actionable market intelligence out of it or use it for eDiscovery, but since I know how it is used, I keep my distance from it.

Quote Originally Posted by bklynboy View Post
    Ironic that the HR department may think you are crazy, yet according to a survey by CEO magazine last year only 4% of the CEOs of Fortune 500 companies have FB profiles. Why?, FB content is 99% useless blather. I am a high tech executive who started my own company a few years ago after taking early retirement as an executive of a Fortune 500 tech firm. I use Linked In extensively and blog because I get a great value out of it. I do not use Facebook because I do not care what you had for breakfast this morning and have no desire to tell you what you what I had. I also detest FB privacy policies. If friends or members of my family want to share something with me they can email me or send me a link. If they do not care enough about me to send me a link or email, I do not care enough to look at what they have to say or show. I have begun to use Google + a bit because I have better control over who sees what and can create 'circles' for real friends and family, a broader range of acquaintances and my even larger circle of 'business' contacts . As for Twitter, it's useful in an emergency such as our recent hurricane, but there is not much of value that can be imparted in 140 characters others than to point to a link

The funny thing is that I am not an old guy Luddite. I am working on the leading edge of cloud and big data text and data mining, but I have yet to drink the FB Kool-Aid because after looking at many FB posts I find little of interest or value in them, Of course I am more than happy to help my clients vacuum up all of that blather and create actionable market intelligence out of it or use it for eDiscovery, but since I know how it is used, I keep my distance from it.
    Yuck, I think data mining centers need to go the way of credit card companies at the end of Fight Club. It's totally out of control.

Whether someone uses FB or is up to them but I do not understand some of the reasons. If it is because you don't care for what folks have for breakfast, where they are at the moment and with who, mudane political stuff, then it is really simple. DON'T FRIEND them. FB has many good use if you choose to use it. I think a lot of folks that do not use it actually have no clue how it works and the privacy settings that can be used.

I have no security issues using it, I only have friends that post relevent things in their lives, it is an easy way to keep in touch with family and friends. When my HS class was planning a reunion it was very helpful for the organizers.

People can't "see" what I am doing unless I let them. If folks are afraid of the government looking in they can do that with your emails just as easily as they can with FB.
    Anyway, use it or not, just at least be educated in the privacy settings and what folks can and cannot see and how YOU contril who is your friends and family. (AdBlock kills all of the ads also so you don't get inundated with stuff, just like on DC!)
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

I have a theory that facebook and google will eventually become self-aware and turn into something like Skynet, but I still use them... I must be crazy.
    wingryder and CaveJohnson like this.

+1.

"With your permission you give us more information about you, about your friends, and we can improve the quality of our searches [...] We don't need you to type at all. We know where you are. We know where you've been. We can more or less know what you're thinking about." - Eric Schmidt, CEO, Google.

Administrator
    Enjoy!

I have no interest in, or use for, facetube.jpg or YouBook.JPG and I am not a Twit on tweeter.JPG so I MUST BE crazy!!!
    Steve
    An armed society is a polite society

VIP Member
    Here is a list of all the reasons why I need a Facebook account:

...Oh wait, there are no reasons why I need a Facebook account.

You can follow me on Facebook...but you might not like where I'm going to take you
    msgt/ret and goawayfarm like this.
    Regards,
    1MoreGoodGuy
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member

Behave Like Someone Who is Determined to be FREE!

Quote Originally Posted by txron View Post
    My daughters are big into facebook and you tube. My oldest told me that they are combing you tube, twitter and face book.

It will be called "youtwitface".
    Stolen...and posted on Facebook.

I have pics of the grandkids from last night that I would never see without FB.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

I don't do facebook, utube, tweet, twit, or text. The only forum I'm a member of is this one. Guess I must be socially maladjusted. Oh, wait, maybe I'm just an old fart who doesn't think everything I do every moment of the day is of interest to someone else! However, I can see it's usefulness for someone in the military stationed away from their loved ones, etc.
    Live to ride, ride to live. Harley Road King And keep a .45 handy Kimber Custom TLE II

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by miklcolt45 View Post
    Stolen...and posted on Facebook.

I have pics of the grandkids from last night that I would never see without FB.
    Why? Can't your kids just send you the .jpg files by email? Or, upload them to an online
    photo service so you can have them printed out at a place like Target or Walgreens?
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    Why? Can't your kids just send you the .jpg files by email? Or, upload them to an online
    photo service so you can have them printed out at a place like Target or Walgreens?
    I use email for certain photos and information and FB for others. I carved a pumpkin the other night and it came out cool so I posted it on FB (only "Friends" can see your stuff).
    Yeah, I could log onto my email, get a email composed, see if there is a specific group of emails already setup for sending something like that or create a group or selectively check on the emails of people that I want to send it too.

Or I can "click" take the picture on my phone, hit the little button which says to post to FB and it is done.

Now, which is easier in that situation? BTW: I just did it...took about 8 seconds for everybody to see.

It is convenience. Ya know, this thread is sort of like "who carries one in the chamber". I don't know why folks give a hoot how a carry (I do carry one in the chamber ) or how I post things on FB. Folks have different ways of doing things that suit their individual lifestyle and comfort level.
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by suntzu View Post

It is convenience. Ya know, this thread is sort of like "who carries one in the chamber". I don't know why folks give a hoot how a carry (I do carry one in the chamber ) or how I post things on FB. Folks have different ways of doing things that suit their individual lifestyle and comfort level.
    I was just puzzled by the earlier statement that you wouldn't have been able to get the pic
    if not for FB. If FB made it more convenient for your kids to send pics of the grandkids, then
    that is fine by me. No point to doing extra work and taking extra time if you don't have to.

Since I have never tried FB, I had no idea that advantage existed.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

'If you’re of a certain age and you meet someone who you are about to go to bed with, and that person doesn’t have a Facebook page, you may be getting a false name. It could be some kind of red flag,' he says.

If you decide to go to bed with someone based on a Facebook page...... you are a fool!
    "A man's got to know his limitations." Inspector Harry Callahan

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links