Not using social media means your crazy? DailyNews article, ridiculous!

This is a discussion on Not using social media means your crazy? DailyNews article, ridiculous! within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Facebook has become such a pervasive force in modern society that increasing numbers of employers, and even some psychologists, believe people who aren't on social ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: Not using social media means your crazy? DailyNews article, ridiculous!

Distinguished Member Array Ghettokracker71's Avatar

Thumbs down Not using social media means your crazy? DailyNews article, ridiculous!

Facebook has become such a pervasive force in modern society that increasing numbers of employers, and even some psychologists, believe people who aren't on social networking sites are 'suspicious.'
    The German magazine Der Taggspiegel went so far as to point out that accused theater shooter James Holmes and Norwegian mass murder Anders Behring Breivik have common ground in their lack of Facebook profiles.
    On a more tangible level, Forbes.com reports that human resources departments across the country are becoming more wary of young job candidates who don't use the site.The common concern among bosses is that a lack of Facebook could mean the applicant's account could be so full of red flags that it had to be deleted.

'If you’re of a certain age and you meet someone who you are about to go to bed with, and that person doesn’t have a Facebook page, you may be getting a false name. It could be some kind of red flag,' he says.
    Psychologist Christopher Moeller told the magazine that using Facebook has become a sign of having a healthy social network.
    Psychologists have noted that Holmes, along with several noted mass murderers, have lacked any real friends.
    And this is what the argument boils down to: It's the suspicion that not being on Facebook, which has become so normal among young adults, is a sign that you're abnormal and dysfunctional, or even dangerous, ways.
    The whole article:

Is not joining Facebook a sign you're a psychopath? Some employers and psychologists say it's 'suspicious' | Mail Online

Apparently if you are an individual and don't do what everybody else is doing, you might be dangerous or appear suspicious to potential employers! What a load of,...For those who won't use FB, there are settings that allow your profile to NOT be searched by using your name. Besides the fact that,..What do having social media accounts have to do with your ability to perform job functions?

Let alone the ordeal about murderers not having facebooks,...People are murdered everyday, but HEY TWO GUYS THAT MURDERED DONT HAVE THEM! watch out! . Jeez.

"To blame a gun for a mans decision is to foolishly attribute free will to an inanimate object"- Colion Noir.

Thanks for that, I needed a good laugh! I have several friends that have no interest in FB or any of the other "social" networks. I guess I hang out with a lot of potentially crazy people!

PS: I wonder if being on firearms forums count!?

This thread is going to be fun Some folks think FB is crazy and others can't survive without it. I think I am in the middle. Whenever a new technology comes out I ask myself two questions:
    Self: Can I live with out this technology (i.e. do I need to worry in a SHTF scenario and I don't have it)
    and
    Self: Does it really make my life easier, efficeint, or more enjoyable?

I say FB gets a No for the first and a yes for the second. I have 31 friends and family. If I do not hear from one in several months I defriend them so I don't see everything about their lives wasting my bandwidth. If they don't actually call or email me then they are not a "friend"

Examples where I think FB is nice: My nephew is deployed to Afghanistand and his 19 year old wife just had a baby. It is nice seeing pics of the baby as it grows. It is cheaper for a young bride to post one pic available for all to see than it was in the old days where she would have to pay to get pics printed then pay for stamps to mail them.

With families being all over the country now adays it is nice to keep up on little things. Yeah, I call my sister every two weeks or so and get caught up on the family stuff. But FB is a good way of "talking" to one another like they are still in the same room. Just the little things that come up in conversation. Some folks that don't like FB don't like it for that reason..a lot of what is posted seems innocuous and unimportant. But if the same posts' were a verbal communication in the same room they would be part of it.

example:
    BIL: Gale force winds...downed tree limbs...flying debris... and not one house landed on my wife. I have no luck.
    Me: Cheer up! Blizzard season is coming soon
    SIS: You are sooo funny...not
    Frind of SIS: Yur sister is a saint!
    ME: Well, when she is dead 5 years and had produced 2 miracles and has been cannonized by the Pope then I will call her a saint

Just fun stuff that without FB you would miss out on. I miss sitting around the kitchen table with my sis and just talking.

Oh, One thing I LOVE about FB: Ever look up someones name on FB that has been arrested for doing something ? After looking at their profile there is no wonder why the perp held up a police station or gun store LOL
    limatunes likes this.
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

I guess i'm old fashion. If I want to talk to someone I'll just pick up the phone or give them a visit.
    OD*, atctimmy, WHEC724 and 3 others like this.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

Employers Want you to use social media... Why? Because you have no expectation of privacy... and it can help them determine whether to hire you (or later down the road, fire you).

I'm on FB... I don't use it much at all...
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

I have a Facebook account, but am rarely on it. I has become an online forum for idiots. I think that folks who don't use social media sites may be the smartest folks out there.
    Glock 22 Gen 4 w/CBST
    Kimber Compact CDP II w/Silent Thunder
    A man, without force, is without the essential dignity of humanity. Human nature is so constituted, that it cannot honor a helpless man, although it can pity him; and even this it cannot do long, if the signs of power do not arise.

VIP Member
    I too prefer to call or visit someone, the only use I have found for Face Book is it is handy for posting car shows for the two clubs I belong to and keeping up with the people I used to fly with at Travis.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

FB should not be used to replace the phone or tradional mail. FB should be used for wedding announcements, birth announcements ect...FB should not be used for wedding invitations, b-day party invitations etc. Nor should it be used like a niece of mine did. She posted one post to tell everyone thank you for whatever givt they gave her for her b-day. My son is 18 and still writes out individual thank you cards.

FB is a tool. It can be overused and is.

Oops, got to go...need to update my FB status that I am on DC
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

Distinguished Member Array noway2's Avatar

I don't have a Farsebook account, nor do I want one. I find the lack of privacy disturbing and I don't feel a need to share intimate details of my day with the world. If I want to communicate with someone I will do it directly. Last, but certainly not least, is that I have no desire or feel any need to follow the herd.

As the thing has become so pervasive, I have considered creating an account with a dummy / blank page and locking it. Usually when this urge comes on, I lie down until it passes.
    JDE101, Badey, Hoganbeg and 1 others like this.

DefensiveCarry is the only "social media' that I participate in. I value everyone's opinion and experience. Other than that, I don't want any one else to know what I'm doing, thinking, eating, etc.

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    I'm a private person. I don't put my life and affairs out there for the world or "Friends" to see. This forum is one of the few sites on the internet I visit with any frequency. I don't even like email as it's taken away the common courtesy of a person-to-person phone call. Texting is even lower on my list of dislikes, in fact it's fallen right off the bottom it's so far down. It always amazed me that people who tout how email and texting saves them so much time can't get anything done for answering emails and texts.

My son says he goes straight to Facebook when he's handed a new case, and it has led to successful resolution in 90% of them.

If not tweeting or posting on Facebook makes me a suspicious person, then I'm not only suspicious, I'm guilty as charged.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Popcorn-02-Stephen-Colbert.jpg

How ridiculous is that! I got on Facebook very early on, I liked being able to find people that I had lost touch with... but over the past few years, it has turned into a media frenzy... it is full of companies vying for attention in your "private" world. Also, I don't care who hates their monday and who is drinking coffee with their cat. I got bored and left...

Unfortunately, you can't delete your account, only "deactivate"... FB retains the rights to EVERYTHING you post... every word, every photo, every like, every link! NOPE, not interested in that. I guess that makes me "Crazy"
    Attached Images

Distinguished Member Array kapnketel's Avatar
    I handle claims for a living, and the first place I look when a new claim comes in is FB. A wealth of information. I always instruct my attorneys to demand all social media be preserved and produced in discovery. So if you claim to be disabled, do not post pictures of you going sledding with your kids.
    I'd rather be lucky than good any day

There's nothing that will change someone's moral outlook quicker than cash in large sums.

Majority rule only works if you're also considering individual rights. Because you can't have five wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for supper.

"Psychologist Christopher Moeller told the magazine that using Facebook has become a sign of having a healthy social network. Psychologists have noted that Holmes, along with several noted mass murderers, have lacked any real friends.
    And this is what the argument boils down to: It's the suspicion that not being on Facebook, which has become so normal among young adults, is a sign that you're abnormal and dysfunctional, or even dangerous, ways. "

I think Mr. Moeller needs a psychologist...

My daughters are big into facebook and you tube. My oldest told me that they are combing you tube, twitter and face book.

It will be called "youtwitface".
    JoJoGunn likes this.
    No trees were harmed in the construction of this post. However a large number of electrons were indiscriminately aroused.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links