Cook county drops ammo tax keeps gun levy.

This is a discussion on Cook county drops ammo tax keeps gun levy. within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; ...to help defray the high cost of gun... Chicago's Cook County drops bullet tax, keeps gun levy - Yahoo! News Canada...

Like Tree7Likes
  • 1 Post By dV8r
  • 1 Post By msgt/ret
  • 1 Post By jryan630
  • 1 Post By SIGguy229
  • 3 Post By Spidey2011

Thread: Cook county drops ammo tax keeps gun levy.

Cook county drops ammo tax keeps gun levy.

CaveJohnson likes this.
    LEARN something today so you can TEACH something tomorrow.
    Dominus Vobiscum <))>(
    Where is the wisdom that we have lost in knowledge?" T.S. Elliot

2. Remove Ads

"The senior executive of the county that includes Chicago dropped a proposed tax on bullets on Wednesday but kept a plan to tax firearms to help defray healthcare expenses associated with the high rate of gun."

What the hell?

The geniuses figured out that at a nickel a round the tax on a box of some ammunition would be more than the actual cost of the ammunition - such as .22 caliber. They are broke as a county but part of the deal is to provide $2 million to fight gun violence.

Thankfully I am outside the Cook County fenceline.

Distinguished Member
    My condolences to all the law abiding Chicago gun owners... Living so close to political and governmental stupidity must be intellectually agonizing.
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    The Second Amendment *IS* Homeland Security
    --------------------- Μολὼν λαβέ ----------------------

VIP Member
    "It is very important to us to tax guns because we know that guns are the sources of the incredible violence we have in our neighborhoods," Cook County Board President Toni Preckwinkle told a news conference. She said 29 percent of guns used in crimes in Chicago were purchased legally in suburban Cook County.
    These blithering idiots have yet to understand, it’s NOT the gun but it is the criminals behind the guns.
    atctimmy likes this.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Watch out folks. The liberals will be taxing you on silverware purchase for increased healthcare cost that is associated with obesity.
    atctimmy likes this.
    The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. ~Burke, Edmund

Proud owner of a G35. And yes I carry it concealed.

Quote Originally Posted by msgt/ret View Post
    These blithering idiots have yet to understand, it’s NOT the gun but it is the criminals behind the guns.
    Exactly...criminals and gang members should be taxed $100/day for breathing free air
    msgt/ret likes this.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

When does the taxes on alcohol go up , due to the number of drunk drivers ? And when do the taxes go up on cars, to cover the problems with people dying in car crashes.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Quote Originally Posted by jryan630 View Post
    Watch out folks. The liberals will be taxing you on silverware purchase for increased healthcare cost that is associated with obesity.
    As if, in an openly-accessible county they actually believe folks won't simply drive elsewhere to acquire their ammunition, firearms. Dumb x2. Though, they obviously expect folks to believe it's justifiable. At least, the percentage of voters they need to keep them fat and happy.

Well, if there's nothing to top bureaucrats from imposing such things on firearms or ammo, there's certainly nothing stopping them from doing similarly stupid things on any other common item based on bogus "research" and/or desired revenue results.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I say we tax everyone that DOESN'T own a gun. Kind of like that new law that taxes people for not having healthcare.
    dV8r, Scramble4a5 and msgt/ret like this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Eagleks View Post
    When does the taxes on alcohol go up , due to the number of drunk drivers ? And when do the taxes go up on cars, to cover the problems with people dying in car crashes.
    That's next week.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown...eaves%20office

Quote Originally Posted by Spidey2011 View Post
    I say we tax everyone that DOESN'T own a gun. Kind of like that new law that taxes people for not having healthcare.
    That's next month ... after the experiment with gun tax, alcohol tax.

I say, let's tax stupidity evidenced in idiot-mitten political hacks: charge them heavily with fines, restitution, imprisonment for their daring to go against the Constitution with sidestepping "laws."
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

The article states that 29% of the guns purchased legally were used in crimes. That speaks volumes. First of all, the word "crime" is used, not shooting. We don't know the stats on that 29%, but illegally carrying or brandishing would be considered crimes, so I would venture a guess that the number of legally owned guns used in shootings is lower than that. Seventy plus percent of the guns used in shooting are probably stolen, but the legal gun owners are the ones going to pay the price. Typical liberal twisted logic to get to the result they want. The camel has his nose under the tent. Watch for similar plans in other liberal meccas. Thank God I live in Florida.

Quote Originally Posted by FLSurfdog View Post
    The article states that 29% of the guns purchased legally were used in crimes. That speaks volumes. First of all, the word "crime" is used, not shooting. We don't know the stats on that 29%, but illegally carrying or brandishing would be considered crimes, so I would venture a guess that the number of legally owned guns used in shootings is lower than that. Seventy plus percent of the guns used in shooting are probably stolen, but the legal gun owners are the ones going to pay the price. Typical liberal twisted logic to get to the result they want. The camel has his nose under the tent. Watch for similar plans in other liberal meccas. Thank God I live in Florida.
    More than likely, that also includes guns that were in the possession of someone committing a totally unrelated crime. You know, like a drunk gets pulled over and he has a gun in the glove box, or a dope dealer gets raided and has a gun in his house somewhere. They can seriously skew the numbers when they want to.

Links