Need a new jacket! Any suggestions?

This is a discussion on Need a new jacket! Any suggestions? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; My friend had his jacket stolen at a party near the end of last winter and he never replaced it. It's just now getting cold ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Need a new jacket! Any suggestions?

My friend had his jacket stolen at a party near the end of last winter and he never replaced it. It's just now getting cold here and I'm thinking about buying him a new one as an early Christmas present. He had a Columbia jacket before, not really sure what he would like now but I'm thinking something casual or outdoors related (no camo please). Preferably waterproof and cozy. Does anybody have any suggestions?

I'm a pretty big fan of my Lands End Squall. Its affordable, feature rich and apparently on sale atm.
    squall.jpg

Men's Hooded Squall Jacket from Lands' End
    "I believe there are more instances of the abridgment of the freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments of those in power, than by violent and sudden usurpations” – James Madison 1788

Senior Moderator
    I like the interchangeable parka's myself http://www.columbia.com/Men%E2%80%99...efault,pd.html
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Gander Mountain has it's own brand (forget its name), and they are pretty thick and warm. If you're wanting warmth, you can't go wrong with a 800 down count North Face. I've got one that's thin as can be, but with the 800 count, I stay plenty warm in the cold Michigan winters. I got it at North Face outlet, so paid about $150 for it, so not sure what retail price is.
    Orangeman likes this.

I just got a new 5.11 jacket I really like. The only drawback is it doesn't have a hood but I have other coats for that. I got the green and black one.

5.11 Tactical Chameleon Softshell Jacket 48099 plus FREE SHIPPING

I like Carhart:

Carhartt - Category - Outerwear

I also like Lands End, and always believed they had great features at excellent price points.

The interchangeables are great too - and for Alabama maybe better because they can be layered up for warm/cozy or the shell as a waterproof overjacket. Columbia, Northface
    Ben Hennessy likes this.

Take a look at Duluth Trading Company. Nice gear at fair prices. BTW, tell your buddy that I'm really enjoying...his old jacket.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

I second Carhartt. I have one that is 6 years old and has been through hell and beyond, and still remains in good shape and is warm and comfortable. The prices climb quick but they're incomparable when it comes to durability.

I'll third Carhartt. I drive a wrecker so I have the jacket and bibs, they take a beating and still keep my nice and warm in the middle of winter.
    Quando Omni Flunkus Moratati

I have a Carhartt that has a slightly extended tail that really helps with concealment. It also has two small pockets up front that are perfect for pocket guns or extra mags.

Plus it's a Carhartt!!!

I picked up a 3 in 1 Nordic Track when our Sears store was closing. Very warm coat. And it looks nice and seems to be good quality.

Nordic Track Men's 3-in-1 Winter Coat Charcoal - product summary - Bing Shopping

Ken
    Last edited by Bubbiesdad; November 1st, 2012 at 09:39 PM. Reason: Add content
    Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
    Richard M Nixon
    Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician.”
    Jeff Cooper

Distinguished Member Array Chaplain Scott's Avatar
    Fil son Better Outdoor Clothes | Better Outdoor Gear | Better Outdoor Clothing | Filson is really pricey, but their stuff is really high quality, and it lasts forever. Its also made in the USA. I have their double Mackinaw woll coat, and I wear it to do the feeding chores outside when it is blowing, snowing and Montana cold (below zero), and am always comfortable in it.
    Scott, US Army 1974-2004

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
    - Ronald Reagan

5.11 has some nice jackets. I'm preferential to north face, though. Just picked up this one at the Freeport, ME outlet. Nice lightweight fall jacket.http://m.thenorthface.com/mt/www.the...etailsexpanded

- Todd

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VIP Member
    I know this isn't the answer you want but my advice is to NOT buy your friend any clothing item. I HATE it when people buy me clothing. A T-shirt or something is OK but not an item that's expensive or will be used all the time like a jacket. Your tastes are your tastes and your friend may very well resent you for giving him/her a jacket.

If you feel you MUST buy them a jacket then play a fast one on them. Take them shopping under the pretense that YOU are buying YOURSELF a jacket and let them pick one they like. At sometime during your fake shopping trip your friend will say that they think a particular jacket is cool, or that they like this particular style. Then come back later and buy that jacket for your friend.

Check to see if he's still going to party's. If he is, save your money.
    pscipio03 likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links