Why, Why Can't I Get A job!

This is a discussion on Why, Why Can't I Get A job! within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I work with the general public every day. My neck tattoo is a barcode with my birthdate. I get compliments on it frequently. I also ...

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree57Likes

Thread: Why, Why Can't I Get A job!

I work with the general public every day. My neck tattoo is a barcode with my birthdate. I get compliments on it frequently. I also get compliments on my piercings which are not small, they're 12 gauge. I have yet to be turned down for a job for them.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array brocktice's Avatar

Re: Why, Why Can't I Get A job!

Quote Originally Posted by Jeanlouise View Post
    Yes it does because it shows a gross lack of judgement. As long as they aren't looking for meaningful or public service employment I guess they can do whatever they want.

I love this picture because of the statement, "I blame corporate greed". How about personal responsibility and life choices?
    To me this is a mean-spirited and closed-minded photo and thread. Do you who have made jabs at the people in the pictures feel better about yourselves now?

These guys have made choices that some of us would not, sure. How do you know what they plan to do with their lives? Maybe they are their own bosses and job creators. Maybe they work in places that cater to body modders. Maybe for whatever reason, their appearance is more important to them than working the counter at a business or in a cubicle in the corporate world. You can't know from these pictures and the tacked-on tagline.

I expect better from this forum.
    GrandZJ and CaveJohnson like this.

VIP Member
    With clean records, they'd make great mall ninjas; or clowns.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

What happens around a strong magnet?

Quote Originally Posted by GrandZJ View Post
    I work with the general public every day. My neck tattoo is a barcode with my birthdate. I get compliments on it frequently. I also get compliments on my piercings which are not small, they're 12 gauge. I have yet to be turned down for a job for them.
    Excellent. I have friends that have tats and piercing a that own there own businesses and are successful so to my point earlier.. It all depends on what work you do and skills. Your profile says you work in auto parts and that's your career and skills. Probably much much better at it than me. However, you'd never work in my field or in limited areas of it. We make our choices and that's what's great about America... As long as one lives with ones choices and don't expect a hand out when those choices (any choice here.. Not tats or hardware) interfere with employment, etc.

I think not being considered for a job based on what you look like is straight up discriminatory. If your race, gender, sexual orientation, etc is illegal to be discriminated against in employment, why should piercings and tattoos not be a part of that? What if your tattoos and piercings are part of your religion? Should you not then have a serious case against a company that denies you employment based on them?

Quote Originally Posted by Piratesailor View Post
    Excellent. I have friends that have tats and piercing a that own there own businesses and are successful so to my point earlier.. It all depends on what work you do and skills. Your profile says you work in auto parts and that's your career and skills. Probably much much better at it than me. However, you'd never work in my field or in limited areas of it. We make our choices and that's what's great about America... As long as one lives with ones choices and don't expect a hand out when those choices (any choice here.. Not tats or hardware) interfere with employment, etc.
    That's fine, I just don't see many people complaining about that. There may be a few, but there's a few of everything.

It's also more accepted with younger people like myself, I've seen cops with full arm tattoos. Doesn't faze me at all, older people are the ones who get upset (at everything really) so it'll change over time.

Quote Originally Posted by brocktice View Post
    To me this is a mean-spirited and closed-minded photo and thread. Do you who have made jabs at the people in the pictures feel better about yourselves now?

These guys have made choices that some of us would not, sure. How do you know what they plan to do with their lives? Maybe they are their own bosses and job creators. Maybe they work in places that cater to body modders. Maybe for whatever reason, their appearance is more important to them than working the counter at a business or in a cubicle in the corporate world. You can't know from these pictures and the tacked-on tagline.

I expect better from this forum.
    Send them my picture and they can make fun of me sitting in the corporate world all day long on their blogs. Clean shaven, no marks or hardware. Wouldn't bother me a bit. As long as I never have to pay a dime of money for their support I don't care what they tat or pierce or what decisions that make or don't.

Is it generalizing or profiling.. You bet it is. Is it probably accurate? Yes again. Is it humorous.. Yeah, mildly. Do you have to participate, no, you don't. Just sayin.
    Azchief and Bark'n like this.

Quote Originally Posted by CaveJohnson View Post
    That's fine, I just don't see many people complaining about that. There may be a few, but there's a few of everything.

It's also more accepted with younger people like myself, I've seen cops with full arm tattoos. Doesn't faze me at all, older people are the ones who get upset (at everything really) so it'll change over time.
    Yeah? Really? You must be young since those "old people" are the free love sex drugs and rock from the 60's.. And guess what? They are now the "establishment" of old people you talk about. No, it won't change and you have not studied your history. Btw, I'm one of those old people.

Quote Originally Posted by GrandZJ View Post
    I think not being considered for a job based on what you look like is straight up discriminatory. If your race, gender, sexual orientation, etc is illegal to be discriminated against in employment, why should piercings and tattoos not be a part of that? What if your tattoos and piercings are part of your religion? Should you not then have a serious case against a company that denies you employment based on them?
    No, that's not the case. There is something called dress code and decorum. You don't meet it you don't get hired. Real world, real life... Now with that said, I've hired brilliant coders that look like bums but I put them in specific jobs. They would not be hired to face one of my clients.

Yeah? Really? You must be young since those "old people" are the free love sex drugs and rock from the 60's.. And guess what? They are now the "establishment" of old people you talk about. No, it won't change and you have not studied your history. Btw, I'm one of those old people.
    Yes, it will and those folks changed pretty much instantly after the free love period. Back then tattoos weren't widespread, and they've only become so in the last 20 years or less.

I got mine 9 years ago, and they weren't even everywhere. Now they are, and attitudes are changing. Same with laws like decriminalizing marijuana, those are changing too. If what you were saying was true, that wouldn't be the case.

Senior Moderator
    When my great-uncle returned from Pacific after serving in the Navy for 3 years during WWII, my great-grandmother gave him a hug and then wouldn't allow him in her house.

The problem was that he had two hula girls tattooed on his forearms.....and they were naked!!!!! After he got someone to put a grass skirt on them and a bikini top he was allowed back in his mothers house.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Quote Originally Posted by CaveJohnson View Post
    Yes, it will and those folks changed pretty much instantly after the free love period. Back then tattoos weren't widespread, and they've only become so in the last 20 years or less.

I got mine 9 years ago, and they weren't even everywhere. Now they are, and attitudes are changing. Same with laws like decriminalizing marijuana, those are changing too. If what you were saying was true, that wouldn't be the case.
    Sure.. Keep thinking that way... Not a problem. Yeah, something will mildly change but not the big things and those are things like how business is run and socially accepted norms. No tats back then huh.. Yah, you were around then and you see all the old folks with tats now do you? No, you don't since they are usually covered. Tons of my friends have them but not on their face, etc. and they are executives.. If it works for you... Have at it.. Not a worry for me. Regarding the drugs, good luck with that.

Sure.. Keep thinking that way... Not a problem. Yeah, something will mildly change but not the big things and those are things like how business is run and socially accepted norms. No tats back then huh.. Yah, you were around then and you see all the old folks with tats now do you? No, you don't since they are usually covered. Tons of my friends have them but not on their face, etc. and they are executives.. If it works for you... Have at it.. Not a worry for me. Regarding the drugs, good luck with that.
    I didn't say there were no tats back then

As for the rest, who cares? Why the heck does it matter if someone you don't know has a face tattoo? It doesn't affect your life in the least, so spouting off about it is really pointless. I don't care what executives want, it has nothing to do with me.

Quote Originally Posted by pgrass101 View Post
    When my great-uncle returned from Pacific after serving in the Navy for 3 years during WWII, my great-grandmother gave him a hug and then wouldn't allow him in her house.

The problem was that he had two hula girls tattooed on his forearms.....and they were naked!!!!! After he got someone to put a grass skirt on them and a bikini top he was allowed back in his mothers house.
    Too funny.. My uncle had a similar problem after WWII.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links