Why, Why Can't I Get A job!

This is a discussion on Why, Why Can't I Get A job! within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Originally Posted by CaveJohnson I didn't say there were no tats back then As for the rest, who cares? Why the heck does it matter ...

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 83
Like Tree57Likes

Thread: Why, Why Can't I Get A job!

  1. #46
    Ex Member Array Piratesailor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    206
    Quote Originally Posted by CaveJohnson View Post
    I didn't say there were no tats back then

    As for the rest, who cares? Why the heck does it matter if someone you don't know has a face tattoo? It doesn't affect your life in the least, so spouting off about it is really pointless. I don't care what executives want, it has nothing to do with me.
    Exactly.. You just made my point.. I don't really are what you do as it doesn't effect me.. Unless your on unemployment or welfare.. Which you obviously are not and most likely are very hard working. So to restate what I've said earlier, i don't care. I'm just responding to your pints and to others.

    So, with that said, have a great weekend... I have to get back to work myself so cane maybe leave early and enjoy a beautiful day on the third coast.

  2. Remove Ads

  3. #47
    Ex Member Array CaveJohnson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    329
    This began because you talked about how it's an issue for business owners, so you were talking about and caring about other people's tattoos!

    Also, unemployment is if they decide to get rid of you. That's not a handout.

  4. #48
    Senior Moderator
    Array pgrass101's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Alabama
    Posts
    13,475
    Okay, let's calm down and leave this thread for a little bit
    Rock and Glock and archer51 like this.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

    ― Robert A. Heinlein,

  5. #49
    VIP Member Array wmhawth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Western Colorado
    Posts
    4,400
    Quote Originally Posted by GrandZJ View Post
    I think not being considered for a job based on what you look like is straight up discriminatory. If your race, gender, sexual orientation, etc is illegal to be discriminated against in employment, why should piercings and tattoos not be a part of that? What if your tattoos and piercings are part of your religion? Should you not then have a serious case against a company that denies you employment based on them?
    I couldn't disagree more. If you really expect an employer to be serious enough about you to hire you, train you and pay you a salary you should be serious enough about him not to show up looking like a circus freak. No one...NO ONE..owes you a job.
    Azchief and atctimmy like this.

  6. #50
    Distinguished Member Array Ghettokracker71's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Under a rock.
    Posts
    1,763
    Quote Originally Posted by wmhawth View Post
    I couldn't disagree more. If you really expect an employer to be serious enough about you to hire you, train you and pay you a salary you should be serious enough about him not to show up looking like a circus freak. No one...NO ONE..owes you a job.
    No one might "owe" anybody a job. But apparences are subjective. You may like to use terms like "circus freak" to describe someone who dare uses his/her freedom (the same kind of freedoms that allow you to say, carry a gun?) to look different than your personal standards, but not everybody does.

    I am considered "heavily tattooed". I do not have ay on my face, hands or neck. Mainly because those locations do not personally appeal to me. I have worn long sleeves when dealing with the general public, and I have worn short sleeves as well, pending on the company and their policies. I do not have any naked women, skulls, racial slurs, or religious work done. I received one complaint about my tattoos from a very old fellow, who also complained that we had a woman selling tires and automotive services, and another woman performing services, clearly a very close minded individual, and left because he did not feel women or tattoos had any place in an automotive shop.{Wouldn't be surprised if he complained everywhere he went. "In my day son,...".}. On the other hand, I have had many customers ask to speak to my managers who have received numerous complaints about employers forcing employees to wear long sleeves to cover tattoos. (In the summer time, in the south, it gets hot. Wearing long sleeves, usually people ask why and I'm honest.). As a whole, when I wore short sleeves I got much more compliments, (even from people who would admit they have no tattoos and want none) than I got complaints about them, ever. That is just my personal experience, and YMMV.

    Personal apparence has nothing to do with an individuals ability to perform a job function, or their intelligence. If the guy/gal/"it" behind the counter is polite, attends to my needs, provides me with a quality service/product and a decent value for my money THAT is how I am a satisfied customer. I have had plenty of negative experiences as a customer with someone who looked very "professional". Obviously this goes within reason. A person with a racial or sexist tattoo in plain view is unacceptable, IMHO. {Even in a tattoo shop. I once went to a tattoo shop where the guy behind the counter was covered in Nazi tattoos, turns out he was the owner. I walked out. Seeing as his shop was very close to a local military base, he probable drives a lot of business right out the door looking like that.}.

    I suppose it is all part of living in a "free" society. "Free" as long as you follow what the employers want and what the nanny-government lets you do.

    As far as the main caption of "why, why can't i get a job!" - I could go on and on about that! I'm under 30, and I wonder what the hell is wrong with people around my age some times! Before I left the working world for school, I used to see people ALL the time come in wearing ratty clothes, shirts untucked, pants hanging down with their underwear showing, talking on their cellphones WHILE asking for an application, being rude about asking for an application, harass management/employees about not being able to find a job/get an interview/being hired after an interview...Absolutely insane!When I worked in management roles, we would regularly see some absolutely mind-boggling things on applications, particularly in the "reason for leaving this job" section: "My boss was an butthole", "got accused of stealing, was set up", "the job sucked", "coworkers were jerks",..... If I walk in for an application, I'm in a suit and tie, with several pens in my pocket so I can actually fill it out once I get the application. I understand a person in need of employment might not be able to afford a suit, but don't walk in wearing a shirt with a marijuana leaf or "screw the police" on it and expect a chance at a job!

    EDITED: When I decided to have tattoo work done on my forearms, I understood that part of having that may be wearing long sleeves while in the work place. Just as an FYI.

    Introducing Dr. David Ores,...even MDs have visible tattoos these days!
    26doct_600.JPG
    http://www.davidjoresmd.org/aboutdrdave.php

    Lawyers,...Doctors,...teachers,... Plenty of professional jobs with tattoos. Check out Prof. Bruce Potts, whose entire face/head is covered. {Obviously they don't have purple clown hair and 58085070 piercing, BUT apparently you can get "unprofessional" jobs like being a professor with your entire face/head tattooed!}
    http://mag.rankmytattoos.com/ink-mee...essionals.html


    "To blame a gun for a mans decision is to foolishly attribute free will to an inanimate object"- Colion Noir.

  7. #51
    VIP Member Array mprp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    California
    Posts
    2,909
    For those who just can't figure out why they can't get hired I will put it in very simple language for you:

    Look and act normal. I am an employer with a product or service that I would like you to represent along with my company. I currently do not have a position open where the goal is to draw mass attention to your body or face. I wish not for my customers or clients to vomit at the site of your face. If you come in looking like something out of Hellraiser please do not waste your time.
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

    Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

  8. #52
    Distinguished Member Array Ghettokracker71's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Under a rock.
    Posts
    1,763
    Quote Originally Posted by mprp View Post
    For those who just can't figure out why they can't get hired I will put it in very simple language for you:

    Look and act normal. I am an employer with a product or service that I would like you to represent along with my company. I currently do not have a position open where the goal is to draw mass attention to your body or face. I wish not for my customers or clients to vomit at the site of your face. If you come in looking like something out of Hellraiser please do not waste your time.
    Normal,...to whom? Tattoos/piercings are perfectly normal to what is obviously a large portion of the population. Apparently including parents,medical doctors, lawyers, executives, professors, teachers, personal trainers, mechanics,...

    Whose to say the guy/gal with tattoos can't outsell/outperform the guy/gal without tattoos 3 to 1 and make YOU more money?

    {My last 3 months at my last job selling/managing an auto parts store, I outsold everybody in the store by 3-7K each month, with visible tattoos. And because of my service background and former racing hobbie, I had a group of customers that ONLY liked to deal with me personally. I'm not arrogant or stupid enough to think that there isn't plenty of people who can't out sell me, just stating facts. Prior to those last 3 months I was one of the top 3 sellers in the store every month. }


    "To blame a gun for a mans decision is to foolishly attribute free will to an inanimate object"- Colion Noir.

  9. #53
    Member Array ponchsox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    472
    If they couldn't get a job during Halloween there isn't any hope...

  10. #54
    VIP Member Array wmhawth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Western Colorado
    Posts
    4,400
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghettokracker71 View Post
    Normal,...to whom? Tattoos/piercings are perfectly normal to plenty of the population. Apparently including medical doctors, lawyers, executives, professors, teachers, personal trainers, mechanics...

    Whose to say the guy/gal with tattoos can't outsell/outperform the guy/gal without tattoos 3 to 1 and make YOU more money?
    {My last 3 months at my last job selling/managing an auto parts store, I outsold everybody in the store by 3-7K each month, with visible tattoos. And because of my service background and former racing hobbie, I had a group of customers that ONLY liked to deal with me personally. I'm not arrogant or stupid enough to think that there isn't plenty of people who can't out sell me, just stating facts. }
    Perhaps, but I don't owe you the chance to prove that when there are other applicants for the job who better project the professional image I would like in an employee.
    Job seeking is competetive. Always has been.

  11. #55
    Distinguished Member Array brocktice's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    New Mexico, USA
    Posts
    1,273

    Re: Why, Why Can't I Get A job!

    Quote Originally Posted by wmhawth View Post
    Perhaps, but I don't owe you the chance to prove that when there are other applicants for the job who better project the professional image I would like in an employee.
    Job seeking is competetive. Always has been.
    That's your choice. In think his point is that, depending on the person and position, you may miss a really good and profitable employee that way. If that person's appearance is totally inappropriate for the job, I think that's a loss they understood when they dinged said appearance.

    Most respectable body mod shops I've seen have restrictions on the face/hands work they'll do for this reason, unless you clearly can show you know what you're getting into.

    Fair points on both sides of the argument. I just feel like the op image is a straw man.

  12. #56
    Distinguished Member Array Ghettokracker71's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Under a rock.
    Posts
    1,763
    Quote Originally Posted by brocktice View Post
    That's your choice. In think his point is that, depending on the person and position, you may miss a really good and profitable employee that way. If that person's appearance is totally inappropriate for the job, I think that's a loss they understood when they dinged said appearance.

    Most respectable body mod shops I've seen have restrictions on the face/hands work they'll do for this reason, unless you clearly can show you know what you're getting into.

    Fair points on both sides of the argument. I just feel like the op image is a straw man.
    More appropriately, I wonder what happens if a highly qualified applicant gets an interview, shows up professionally, interviews well and then "drops the bomb" that she has potentially visible tattoos and inquires about a policy. Or shows up with a visible piercing removed, but an obviously visible scar/hole where it is? Would a less qualified applicant than be given the job? Whatever happend to earning things on merit, and performance? Achievement?


    It is interesting how some of the same folks that taught us things like "Dont judge a book by a cover" are quick to judge a human by his/her appearance.


    "To blame a gun for a mans decision is to foolishly attribute free will to an inanimate object"- Colion Noir.

  13. #57
    Senior Moderator
    Array pgrass101's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Alabama
    Posts
    13,475
    I don't thin that the OP was meaning to start this crap storm, I do believe that she just posted something she found humorous. It's us internet yahoos that took it and ran with it.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

    ― Robert A. Heinlein,

  14. #58
    Member Array lyz_grace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Atlanta
    Posts
    251
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeanlouise View Post
    Introducing Dr. David Ores,...even MDs have visible tattoos these days!
    26doct_600.JPG
    David J. Ores, MD - General Practitioner

    Lawyers,...Doctors,...teachers,... Plenty of professional jobs with tattoos. Check out Prof. Bruce Potts, whose entire face/head is covered. {Obviously they don't have purple clown hair and 58085070 piercing, BUT apparently you can get "unprofessional" jobs like being a professor with your entire face/head tattooed!}
    Ink meets Inc.: Twenty Tattooed Professionals | Rank My Tattoos Magazine
    I was gonna stay out of this thread but OH MY WORD, if Bruce Potts was my professor I don't know that I could sit through class with a straight face. He looks like a fun guy, I think he picked the right department!

  15. #59
    Distinguished Member Array Ghettokracker71's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Under a rock.
    Posts
    1,763
    Quote Originally Posted by pgrass101 View Post
    I don't thin that the OP was meaning to start this crap storm, I do believe that she just posted something she found humorous. It's us internet yahoos that took it and ran with it.
    We are all nuts! We like *gasp* GUNS after all! hahah
    Piratesailor and pgrass101 like this.


    "To blame a gun for a mans decision is to foolishly attribute free will to an inanimate object"- Colion Noir.

  16. #60
    VIP Member Array mprp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    California
    Posts
    2,909
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghettokracker71 View Post
    Normal,...to whom? Tattoos/piercings are perfectly normal to what is obviously a large portion of the population. Apparently including parents,medical doctors, lawyers, executives, professors, teachers, personal trainers, mechanics,...

    Whose to say the guy/gal with tattoos can't outsell/outperform the guy/gal without tattoos 3 to 1 and make YOU more money?

    {My last 3 months at my last job selling/managing an auto parts store, I outsold everybody in the store by 3-7K each month, with visible tattoos. And because of my service background and former racing hobbie, I had a group of customers that ONLY liked to deal with me personally. I'm not arrogant or stupid enough to think that there isn't plenty of people who can't out sell me, just stating facts. Prior to those last 3 months I was one of the top 3 sellers in the store every month. }
    I am not saying that people who have tattoos or piercings are not normal, nor am I saying that they shouldn't be hired by someone that in their line of work, they see a quality that the company can benefit from. I am saying that when someone goes that far overboard and renders themselves completely unrecognizable, it is not normal and quite frankly, to me is repulsive. In a way I feel bad for them a little bit, wondering why and what must be in their minds to feel the need to change what the good Lord gave them into something that makes people want to throw up. That's my first hint that they have poor decision making skills, as if they have no self respect. Secondly, for what I would be hiring them for, each one of them possess either a mechanical or electrical hazard that I will not tolerate.

    There is a wide variety of employers and employees out there to chose from but like I tell my young adult kids while addressing this very subject, just remember that an employer is hiring for the company, not you. If you go into an establishment where the hiring manager is naked from the waist, down and has a spear shoved through his head and that's normal, then by golly these two have a decent shot at CSR.

    Ghettokracker, I'm saying that as if I were talking to my kids, not to you directly by the way. It sounds like you do your job well and I respect that. I'm sure your service quality far outweighs any negativity one may see in a mere visible tattoo. I guess my main point is that it's one thing to have a little body art, it's quite another to mutilate one's face in the name of "expressing myself" and is what I would consider abnormal and self-degrading.
    atctimmy likes this.
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

    Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Search tags for this page

employment in glock forums
,
government assistance piercings can't find a job
,
i have facial piercings and i can't find a job
,
is it true image of pierced, tattooed young man said he can't find job
,
man blames government that he cant get a job
,
man with face piercing and tattoos say a he can't find a job on face book
,
man with so many piercings and tattoos who cant get a job
,
tatooed gaged freak cant find job blaming government
,

tattooed man can't find a job on welfare

,
why can't i get a job tattoos
,
why cant i get a job piercings
,

why cant this man find a job tattoos and piercings

Click on a term to search for related topics.