"The good ole boy network" AKA the real world.

This is a discussion on "The good ole boy network" AKA the real world. within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Yep .. how it works up until the point ..... you know you can retire any day after that, if you want to . ...... ...

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree156Likes

Thread: "The good ole boy network" AKA the real world.

Yep .. how it works up until the point ..... you know you can retire any day after that, if you want to . ...... and then....... LOL.

Amazed me at times that I would get called about people as much as 15 -20 yrs later..... so, it does stick around a long time. I'ld often get, "well, I heard from so & so and that they worked for you at one point". I remember telling a few people that called me on someone, that "if" they were needing a JOB .... they SHOULD ABSOLUTELY NOT HIRE THEM...... and to give them my phone number and let them know I had a job waiting for them anytime they wanted it and I would pay them more than they would. Down the line, I would run into some of these people .... and told them I heard they were working for such /such company...... and they would tell me, "the strangest thing happened" ....... I went into do an interview, and they walked me right over to HR and hired me. Some of them told me, they said you recommended me and as far as they were concerned.... I didn't need to do an interview.

So, it also applies to "YOU".... and if people trust you to give them an honest assessment of someone, and that when you do..... they don't prove you wrong or make you regret it. If I gave someone a recommendation, people "knew" they had to be one of the best. When I said I had a job for them anytime they wanted it, I wasn't joking .... and the person I was telling that to, knew that.

Even though I am retired, I still get calls, emails, etc. I was one of the lucky ones, and was able to retire well ahead of what seems to be typical.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

2. Remove Ads

Wow, where I work I have to be drug tested and take polygraphs.

If you had a bad experience at a job, you may have to move out of state or change fields to find employment.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

Quote Originally Posted by varob View Post
    Wow, where I work I have to be drug tested and take polygraphs.

If you had a bad experience at a job, you may have to move out of state or change fields to find employment.
    I've never had a particularly good experience, especially working for idiots. Very few people enjoy their jobs I'd say, so I don't see why what I'm saying is somehow new to you guys.

As for polygraphs, they're an antiquated technology that doesn't prove very much and is inadmissible in court for a reason. My state bars them as a condition of employment, and that's a good thing. Drug tests just happen to be a privacy invasion and on top of that easy to beat, so utterly useless. Marijuana for example stays in your system longest, but someone can have cocaine out of their system in a couple of days. So it's not really a good test, urine tests that is.

The "Good Old Boy Network" is an invaluable tool, when you are the one doing the hiring or if you are an exemplary employee. If you're not a top performer, it may work against you. I've gotten several contracts and/or jobs without ever applying. They called me. So, I like the network. As an employer, I have used it extensively.

If applicants are "unknown", employers vette resumes and schedule interviews with qualified candidates. Every person being interviewed has the background/qualifications to fill the position. The interview is for the employer to see if you (as an individual) "fit" into their work environment. Statistically (accross all industries), they make a decision to not hire you in 5 seconds or less.
    atctimmy likes this.
    KNOWLEDGE: A tomato is a fruit.
    WISDOM: Not putting a tomato in a fruit salad.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CaveJohnson View Post
    I've never had a particularly good experience, especially working for idiots. Very few people enjoy their jobs I'd say, so I don't see why what I'm saying is somehow new to you guys.
    Your posts speak volumes about your attitude. I have a feeling that the good ole boy network will not be working in your favor. I used to feel the way you do about some bosses. Then, one day, I figured it out. I decided to give my best everyday, idiot boss or no idiot boss. Very soon people will notice the quality of your work and sooner or later those idiots will be working for you.

Until just recently, for the last 5 years, I have worked for the worst boss I've ever had. He was a nice guy but completely incompetent, thankfully he was forced into retirement. The verdict is out on my new boss but it's not looking too good right now. It doesn't matter though. I'm going to do the best that i can do and let the chips fall where they may.

I have found in my marriage, in the workplace and in life in general that when I want to change the people around me I work hard to change myself to reflect how I want those people to treat me. The harder I work, the better people seem to be.

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    Your posts speak volumes about your attitude. I have a feeling that the good ole boy network will not be working in your favor. I used to feel the way you do about some bosses. Then, one day, I figured it out. I decided to give my best everyday, idiot boss or no idiot boss. Very soon people will notice the quality of your work and sooner or later those idiots will be working for you.
    I am a pessimistic person who doesn't take any crap, and I do my job and have a damn good network of connections (many in the law enforcement community) from my longest job.

I also will probably never have a long career because I have no idea what I want to do, and people my age are expected to constantly switch careers. Oh well.

There is more to life than working, and too many people deify jobs and bosses. No thanks, not me.

CaveJohnson: Be your own boss. You'll be happiest that way. As a businessman and an independent contractor you can always make your own choices when you want and how you want before you accept the contract. Set your own terms, write your own contracts. You'll have only yourself to answer to, and only yourself. If you get to the point you want to add or need to add employees to continue your success, knock yourself out, and hire them and fire them on your terms pursuant to state law. If you want to rock the boat with employees, and live up to your well articulated philosophical positions, go right ahead, and if contrary to state law, fight like heck and make a difference as an employer. It's your life you live, like you said, so go right ahead. Good luck.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CaveJohnson View Post
    I am a pessimistic person who doesn't take any crap, and I do my job and have a damn good network of connections (many in the law enforcement community) from my longest job.

I also will probably never have a long career because I have no idea what I want to do, and people my age are expected to constantly switch careers. Oh well.

There is more to life than working, and too many people deify jobs and bosses. No thanks, not me.
    I don't deify anyone. It doesn't matter if my boss is a dope or a superstar. I keep my mouth shut and put out the best product I can. This philosophy has served me well. Perhaps it's something for you to consider.

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    I don't deify anyone. It doesn't matter if my boss is a dope or a superstar. I keep my mouth shut and put out the best product I can. This philosophy has served me well. Perhaps it's something for you to consider.
    Yep, same thing I do. I don't put up with lying, scumbag bosses though.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock and Glock View Post
    CaveJohnson: Be your own boss. You'll be happiest that way. As a businessman and an independent contractor you can always make your own choices when you want and how you want before you accept the contract. Set your own terms, write your own contracts. You'll have only yourself to answer to, and only yourself. If you get to the point you want to add or need to add employees to continue your success, knock yourself out, and hire them and fire them on your terms pursuant to state law. If you want to rock the boat with employees, and live up to your well articulated philosophical positions, go right ahead, and if contrary to state law, fight like heck and make a difference as an employer. It's your life you live, like you said, so go right ahead. Good luck.
    If I can ever make enough money to pull it off, I will for sure. I'd love to own a gun store, since I love guns I'd never dislike going to work, you know?

If I can ever make enough money to pull it off, I will for sure.
    Act like the owner now. Think like the owner now. Never hurts.
    RMS likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock and Glock View Post
    Act like the owner now. Think like the owner now. Never hurts.

Many times the decision on who to hire has already been made thru word of mouth. The interview process is just a matter of formality. Sort of like that golf game that was mentioned.

I see alot of the younger people nowadays, that just don't get the fact that their elders are the ones making the rules. Not just in business, but in life.

Used to be, that a young man would hang around and learn and rub elbows with the older people in business, to not only build contacts but to learn something about how things work. Now, they tend to be more content to hang out with their peers and then wonder why they cannot advance.

Same thing with young men in social circles. Often show little respect, far too eager to run their mouths, and value their "friends" more than their elders. I have 3 daughters, so it has been an interesting study in sociology observing how some of the young men handle themselves. 2 outta 3 cannot even keep from doing something terribly offensive right off the bat.

Just seems like a very large number of younger people have a very hard time dealing with the older generations. I've heard in classes I've taken, that this is due to them being so "in tune" constantly with their peers, and putting far too much value on peer support, rather than learning from the generation above or maybe 2 above them.

The flipside of this for younger people looking for employment, or dates or whatever, is that the expectations have changed. If they take what Timmy said at heart, work hard, are respectful to elders, and "work" the system a little, they can find it's pretty easy to find success. Basically, they don't even have to be that great anymore--they just need to show up, conduct themselves well, listen and learn, and give a very good effort. Their "peers" are doing such a poor job, that if they even do a "good" job, it seems great these days.

BTW: I have been hired and offered business opportunities by the GOB system, and I also now use it when hiring. And also--the best investment you can make is investing in yourself.

That's probably what every prior generation said about the one's who came after them, yet things go on. To say it's not hard now is just not at all true. My father was able to work his way up with a high school degree, now that's much more difficult. Apparently only 30% of Americans have a college degree and I think the majority are near me, because during the recession people with Bachelor degrees were washing dishes.

Things are different now, post WW2 things were at their best for the US because no one else could really compete. Things are entirely different now with globalization, jobs are being shipped away and it seems like everything around now is an almost meaningless service job.

Oh well, the older generations won't have to deal with it. We'll bear that burden.

VIP Member
    There is a reason some folks will never make a good wage. That reason is usually their mouth or their attitude.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links