"The good ole boy network" AKA the real world.

This is a discussion on "The good ole boy network" AKA the real world. within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Nope, I have no doubt that you may have above average intelligence. However, You don't listen, you know it all and well, I guess that ...

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 61 to 75 of 88
Like Tree156Likes

Thread: "The good ole boy network" AKA the real world.

  1. #61
    Ex Member Array Piratesailor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    206
    Nope, I have no doubt that you may have above average intelligence. However, You don't listen, you know it all and well, I guess that makes you just plain dumb.

    Btw, you said it.. Hatred of people.. That won't get you far. Maybe a job as a coder would be good for you. Little or no human contact.

  2. Remove Ads

  3. #62
    Ex Member Array CaveJohnson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    329
    Quote Originally Posted by Piratesailor View Post
    Nope, I have no doubt that you may have above average intelligence. However, You don't listen, you know it all and well, I guess that makes you just plain dumb.

    Btw, you said it.. Hatred of people.. That won't get you far. Maybe a job as a coder would be good for you. Little or no human contact.
    What don't I listen to exactly when I've already agreed with the major points?

  4. #63
    VIP Member
    Array atctimmy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    NSA Headquarters
    Posts
    6,372
    Quote Originally Posted by CaveJohnson View Post
    What don't I listen to exactly when I've already agreed with the major points?
    The reason is that even though you hear the points and profess to understand the points, you're not getting it.

    This whole thread was for you. I didn't write my OP to be mean or to call you out, I did it to try to give you some free knowledge. So if you haven't tuned me out already here is some more. This pertains directly to your self professed pessimism and your hatred of people:

    Life is what you make of it. Your life will directly reflect how you think. This is not some yin yang crap talk, it's about deciding in your head how (or who) you are going to be each morning and living your day out that way. You have to decide to be the person you WANT to be. Don't just let yourself be the person you THINK you are.

    Some days it will be a battle to be the better you. Other days, when things are going right, it will be easy. Soon enough you will become that better you and it won't be a struggle anymore.

    People almost always get what they expect to get in life. If you expect crap you will find crap. If you expect to find gold and, instead, find crap, you will keep looking until you find the gold you first started looking for.

  5. #64
    Ex Member Array CaveJohnson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    329
    Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    The reason is that even though you hear the points and profess to understand the points, you're not getting it.

    This whole thread was for you. I didn't write my OP to be mean or to call you out, I did it to try to give you some free knowledge. So if you haven't tuned me out already here is some more. This pertains directly to your self professed pessimism and your hatred of people:

    Life is what you make of it. Your life will directly reflect how you think. This is not some yin yang crap talk, it's about deciding in your head how (or who) you are going to be each morning and living your day out that way. You have to decide to be the person you WANT to be. Don't just let yourself be the person you THINK you are.

    Some days it will be a battle to be the better you. Other days, when things are going right, it will be easy. Soon enough you will become that better you and it won't be a struggle anymore.

    People almost always get what they expect to get in life. If you expect crap you will find crap. If you expect to find gold and, instead, find crap, you will keep looking until you find the gold you first started looking for.
    I get what you're saying, and it's not towards me in regards to the good ole boy network and such.

    The bolded is very true, but my pessimism is never likely to change.

  6. #65
    VIP Member Array wmhawth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Western Colorado
    Posts
    4,382
    Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    People almost always get what they expect to get in life. If you expect crap you will find crap. If you expect to find gold and, instead, find crap, you will keep looking until you find the gold you first started looking for.
    This discussion brings to mind the old parable about the old man sitting outside the city and the travellers entering the city:
    An old man was sitting outside a city’s gates. A traveler stopped and asked the old man what kind of people lived in the city. He replied, “What were the people like in the city you just left?” The traveler responded that they were horrible, mean, and cheats. The old man replied, “You will find the same people here.” The traveler kept going past the city. A second traveler asked the old man, “What kind of people live here?” The old man replied again with a question. “What were the people like in the city you just left?” The traveler said, “They were wonderful, kind, and generous.” The old man said, “You will find the same people here.”
    The moral of the story is obvious.

  7. #66
    VIP Member Array Brad426's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    3,733
    Quote Originally Posted by wmhawth View Post
    This discussion brings to mind the old parable about the old man sitting outside the city and the travellers entering the city:

    The moral of the story is obvious.
    Never ask old men questions?
    atctimmy likes this.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

  8. #67
    VIP Member
    Array atctimmy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    NSA Headquarters
    Posts
    6,372
    Quote Originally Posted by Brad426 View Post
    Never ask old men questions?
    Never move to a new city?

  9. #68
    Senior Member Array DaGunny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    538
    Quote Originally Posted by CaveJohnson View Post
    That's probably what every prior generation said about the one's who came after them, yet things go on. To say it's not hard now is just not at all true. My father was able to work his way up with a high school degree, now that's much more difficult. Apparently only 30% of Americans have a college degree and I think the majority are near me, because during the recession people with Bachelor degrees were washing dishes.

    Things are different now, post WW2 things were at their best for the US because no one else could really compete. Things are entirely different now with globalization, jobs are being shipped away and it seems like everything around now is an almost meaningless service job.

    Oh well, the older generations won't have to deal with it. We'll bear that burden.
    Yes it's true that every generation thinks the next generation is lacking. As for the rest of your assertions, they speak volumes towards a lack of understanding. Every single day immigrants come to this country not knowing the language, having little education, and less than $20 in their pockets. Every single day (including today), they work hard, live "small", save their money, build businesses, and basically live the "American Dream."

    As for "meaningless service job"...Next time you need a plumber, make sure you tell him that his job is meaningless. I'm sure it will help him decide what to charge you.
    OD*, Rock and Glock and msgt/ret like this.
    KNOWLEDGE: A tomato is a fruit.
    WISDOM: Not putting a tomato in a fruit salad.
    .

  10. #69
    Ex Member Array CaveJohnson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    329
    Quote Originally Posted by DaGunny View Post
    Yes it's true that every generation thinks the next generation is lacking. As for the rest of your assertions, they speak volumes towards a lack of understanding. Every single day immigrants come to this country not knowing the language, having little education, and less than $20 in their pockets. Every single day (including today), they work hard, live "small", save their money, build businesses, and basically live the "American Dream."

    As for "meaningless service job"...Next time you need a plumber, make sure you tell him that his job is meaningless. I'm sure it will help him decide what to charge you.
    There are millions of immigrants who toil away at low paying jobs and never rise above that too, what's your point?

    I wasn't talking about plumbers, electricians, etc. I was talking about menial restaurant and retail work.

  11. #70
    Senior Member Array DaGunny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    538
    Point 1: Life is what you make it. It has nothing to do with "the times" or your level of formal education.

    Point 2: "The times" has nothing to do with your level of success. "You" have everything to do with it.

    Point 3: What you call menial or minimum wage jobs, is where people start their working careers. If you've been in the workforce for 15 years and you're still in a minimum wage job, that IS your personal level of achievement. Deal with it or work your way up.

    Point 4: Some people in this world need to go to Hertz and rent a clue.
    Jeanlouise and msgt/ret like this.
    KNOWLEDGE: A tomato is a fruit.
    WISDOM: Not putting a tomato in a fruit salad.
    .

  12. #71
    Member Array mg27's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    457
    Quote Originally Posted by Devilsclaw View Post
    I see alot of the younger people nowadays, that just don't get the fact that their elders are the ones making the rules. Not just in business, but in life.

    Used to be, that a young man would hang around and learn and rub elbows with the older people in business, to not only build contacts but to learn something about how things work. Now, they tend to be more content to hang out with their peers and then wonder why they cannot advance.

    Same thing with young men in social circles. Often show little respect, far too eager to run their mouths, and value their "friends" more than their elders. I have 3 daughters, so it has been an interesting study in sociology observing how some of the young men handle themselves. 2 outta 3 cannot even keep from doing something terribly offensive right off the bat.

    Just seems like a very large number of younger people have a very hard time dealing with the older generations. I've heard in classes I've taken, that this is due to them being so "in tune" constantly with their peers, and putting far too much value on peer support, rather than learning from the generation above or maybe 2 above them.

    The flipside of this for younger people looking for employment, or dates or whatever, is that the expectations have changed. If they take what Timmy said at heart, work hard, are respectful to elders, and "work" the system a little, they can find it's pretty easy to find success. Basically, they don't even have to be that great anymore--they just need to show up, conduct themselves well, listen and learn, and give a very good effort. Their "peers" are doing such a poor job, that if they even do a "good" job, it seems great these days.

    BTW: I have been hired and offered business opportunities by the GOB system, and I also now use it when hiring. And also--the best investment you can make is investing in yourself.
    Its funny you mentioned hanging around with the older people, I started a business when I was 20, Took a chance with 200 bucks to my name and worked up to having 6 working for me. But The older guys I would hang out with were working people, political, contractors, project managers police fire,ect... and one thing they taught me was No matter what you do, Do it better than anyone else in your field. Always communicate, be neat and clean, stand out from the others, and Not only that they had connections, and they would put a good word in for me to the big guys and business grew from word of mouth. I remember guys that were in my field asking me when I was in my mid 20s "How do you stay busy".. Older folks been there done that, and know people and can be great help, but they like young people that are respectful and not as this "new generation" Not judging all young guys, many good kids out there but things have changed alot.. A good name is imporatant....Good post OP

  13. #72
    Ex Member Array CaveJohnson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    329
    Quote Originally Posted by DaGunny View Post
    Point 1: Life is what you make it. It has nothing to do with "the times" or your level of formal education.

    Point 2: "The times" has nothing to do with your level of success. "You" have everything to do with it.

    Point 3: What you call menial or minimum wage jobs, is where people start their working careers. If you've been in the workforce for 15 years and you're still in a minimum wage job, that IS your personal level of achievement. Deal with it or work your way up.

    Point 4: Some people in this world need to go to Hertz and rent a clue.
    Uh huh, you're basically posting pointless stuff at this point. A resounding "duh" can be heard in response. The times DO have a bearing on things, and you have to adapt and change.

    For example: on that show Undercover Boss, one guy started his business by maxing out like...10 credit cards. He took a big risk, but you can't do that now. After the economic downfall, even getting a regular credit card is much more difficult. So is getting a loan, and some people got lucky that they started a business at the time they did or they knew the right person who handed them the money to get started.

    No more, this is a pointless discussion now.

  14. #73
    VIP Member
    Array Jeanlouise's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Almost Heaven
    Posts
    2,129
    Quote Originally Posted by CaveJohnson View Post
    Uh huh, you're basically posting pointless stuff at this point. A resounding "duh" can be heard in response. The times DO have a bearing on things, and you have to adapt and change.
    I don't care if you agree or disagree with the people trying to help you on this thread. However, your extremely rude, obnoxious, imperious, know-it-all answers tell me how your life will play out. When you're 70 and looking back on how "unfair" life has been to you, all I have to say is, "duh".
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

    http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown...eaves%20office

  15. #74
    Moderator
    Array Rock and Glock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Colorado at 11,650'
    Posts
    12,241
    Oftentimes people are mere reflections of how they are treated. Treat them with respect and courtesy, you'll get that in return. Sometimes not. But your attitude will go a long ways regardless. Just my .02.

    Only YOU control your attitude. You make the decisions.
    mulle46 and OD* like this.

  16. #75
    Ex Member Array CaveJohnson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    329
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeanlouise View Post
    I don't care if you agree or disagree with the people trying to help you on this thread. However, your extremely rude, obnoxious, imperious, know-it-all answers tell me how your life will play out. When you're 70 and looking back on how "unfair" life has been to you, all I have to say is, "duh".
    I'm 100% fine until someone just keeps repeating useless information, like Gunny just did. Or when other posters take what I've said totally out of context, or post things like you just did. Pointless, let it go and drop it already. You're not adding to the conversation, you're just further screwing it up.

    Everyone in life is not nice and happy go lucky, perhaps it's you who needs the life lesson. I'm also hoping I don't live to 70!

    Life is unfair sweetheart, everyone knows this by the way.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Search tags for this page

good ol boy network

,
good ol boy network example
,
good ol' boy network
,

good old boy network

,

good old boys network

,
good old boys network work
,

good ole boy network

,
how to survive the good ole boy network
,
ole boy network
,
the good ol boys network
,
the good old boy network
,
what is the good 'ol boys network
Click on a term to search for related topics.