"The good ole boy network" AKA the real world.

This is a discussion on "The good ole boy network" AKA the real world. within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I read a recent thread and was motivated to tell some of the younger posters here something I tell my trainees at work. The "Good ...

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree156Likes

Thread: "The good ole boy network" AKA the real world.

VIP Member

"The good ole boy network" AKA the real world.

I read a recent thread and was motivated to tell some of the younger posters here something I tell my trainees at work.

The "Good Ole Boy Network" is real. It exists.

This is how it works: When you get into a career field there are a limited number of people working in that field. There could be 100 or 100,000. Many of them know each other BECAUSE THEY ARE IN THE SAME CAREER FIELD. They've either gone to college together, been to a few conventions together or they used to work for the same employer before one of them moved on to a better position. If they don't know someone then they know someone who knows someone at "such and such" company (your current place of employment).

Now I'm not talking about waiting tables, selling car parts or working retail sales at the mall. I'm talking about a real career. The kind of work that you are going to keep doing for the rest of your life. Now you may change employers a few times to achieve better pay or because of a move but it's the same career just a different company. Is everyone with me so far?

OK this is what happens when you apply for a promotion or if you apply for a similar job in a different town. The person looking to hire you is going to call the company that you currently work for. Who are they going to talk to you ask? They are going to talk to a friend, old college pal or a business acquaintance that they know and trust. They are going to ask "Who is this so and so? He/she is looking to get hired here and I want to know what this person is like. What can you tell me about them?".

Their point of contact is either going to tell them good things about you or bad. Your reputation, not your fancy resume, is what is going to get you in the door.....or not.

So my point is this: If you burn a bridge or act like a butthead at your existing job it will follow you for years and years. The flip side is that if you are a great employee and move/sell/fix like the wind then even if you are weak on paper you might still get the job. Are you batting 600 on the company softball team? Did you get drunk and hit on the bosses wife at last years Christmas party?? Believe it or not, this kind of stuff could make a difference too.

In the end everything you do builds your resume, the REAL one that's going to get passed over the phone. What do you want in THAT resume? <-- That is how you need to live each day.

Now I'm sure someone is going to chime in about privacy acts and other legal mumbo jumbo....well don't. This is the real world and this is how the real world works. Nobody is ever going to tell you to your face that their old college roommate thinks you are a turd of an employee and that's why you didn't get hired.

2. Remove Ads

In my defense, my boss's wife is really hot and I was really drunk.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

Timmy speaks the truth. Your reputation may not precede you, but it certainly will follow you. And I've made a few of those inquiring phone calls myself.

In the engineering biz, it's a well-known axiom that one "aw crud" cancels 10^8 (that's 100 million) "attaboys". Honest mistakes are one thing, but a lot of those in the tracks you leave behind and acting like a butthead will indeed be career-limiting.
    Rock and Glock likes this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Of course it exists, who you know is the most important thing in jobs.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CaveJohnson View Post
    Of course it exists, who you know is the most important thing in jobs.
    Maybe, having a friend inside the process is certainly a big help. But I would say it's more "who knows you". Who knows what kind of work you do, how many sick days you take and if you can keep it in your pants.

VIP Member
    And what you post on FB or other social media can destroy your chances forever.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown...eaves%20office

Quote Originally Posted by Jeanlouise View Post
    Only if you leave it open to the world, which only the not so smart do anymore. No one can find me by name, picture or search or anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeanlouise View Post
    I can attest to that... twice now I have moved past what would have been my first-hire choice after seeing their FB page.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

Quote Originally Posted by Brad426 View Post
    I can attest to that... twice now I have moved past what would have been my first-hire choice after seeing their FB page.
    That's why leaving it open for people to see is insane. If it's a company that says you have to show them, I wouldn't work for them anyway.
    darbo likes this.

VIP Member
    Only if you leave it open to the world, which only the not so smart do anymore. No one can find me by name, picture or search or anything.
    Sometimes it's better to listen and not just jump in with a comment when somebody else is saying something wise. My impression of you from a very limited number of posts is that you are young, probably in your early 20s. My guess is 22 or 23. You jumped in and were off the mark after my OP and you jumped in again with this remark saying that only "not so smart" people make social media mistakes anymore.

Well this may be news to you, you are making mistakes here on this social media. So far you are looking like a young know it all. Am I wrong? Maybe, but first impressions last a lot longer than you think.

ETA:

That's why leaving it open for people to see is insane. If it's a company that says you have to show them, I wouldn't work for them anyway.
    Don't be so quick to dismiss a new employer. What if they offered a 20K pay raise, bennies and a 401K?

My OP was aimed directly at young folks like you. Some want to rage against the machine that checking FB is wrong and shake your fist at The Man. Well, I have news for you. The Man writes the paychecks and shaking your fist at him leaves you as one without a chair when the music stops.

I've made those phone calls and vice versa. The best job opprotunity I ever had came first by word-of-mouth from former shipmates who had the head office contact me. I was floored !!! I had NO idea I was held in that regard..... I've always done a good job, but, wow.....

atctimmy speaks the truth.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

VIP Member
    That might work for a little while but as we get more and more technological, social media will become just part of the routine when hiring. If an employer asks to see your HS transcripts then you have to show them. Same will be with requiring prospective employees to give their FB password so the employer can check them out. You can always say no and walk away but eventually you may run out of options.

My son is a Criminal Justice major and one of his instructors scared the bejezus out of the class by giving examples of instances where people were denied clearances because of what they had posted on FB. He came home and deleted his FB account. He wasn't going to take the chance, even though he mostly talks about football on FB.

As the others have said, what you say and what you do follow you in ways you can't imagine.
    atctimmy and RichB70 like this.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown...eaves%20office

Distinguished Member Array dangerranger's Avatar
    The trouble with FB is not always with what I post but sometimes what friends or friends of friends say or do. DR
    atctimmy and Jeanlouise like this.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Don't have my HS transcripts (Do have my diploma though), don't belong to FB. My son tracks down the vast majority of his suspects thruogh FB (If the suspect can keep his mouth shut, friends and family can't).

I told my son that if a better opportunity comes along to grab it but to never take a job he didn't like because of money, etc. The days of long-term company loyalty have been extinguished by the companies themselves.
    RichB70 likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Don't have my HS transcripts (Do have my diploma though), don't belong to FB. My son tracks down the vast majority of his suspects thruogh FB (If the suspect can keep his mouth shut, friends and family can't).

I told my son that if a better opportunity comes along to grab it but to never take a job he didn't like because of money, etc. The days of long-term company loyalty have been extinguished by the companies themselves.
    I think much of that has to do with pay raises and promotions. It's quite common these days to get better pay at the cross town rival. For some reason promotions usually don't come with pay raises these days unless you jump ship.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Links