Safety - Funny but not really. Almost blew up a pressure cooker in my face. Oops!

This is a discussion on Safety - Funny but not really. Almost blew up a pressure cooker in my face. Oops! within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Only way I would use a pressure cooker is if I could train a monkey to turn the heat off when the cooking time has ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Safety - Funny but not really. Almost blew up a pressure cooker in my face. Oops!

Only way I would use a pressure cooker is if I could train a monkey to turn the heat off when the cooking time has ended
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

2. Remove Ads

I really shouldn't relive this on this forum and I'm careful not to trigger the wifes memory with friends and tell them, but...

About 20-25 years ago I was drinking allot of Busch beer at home with some friends. They finally left and I was getting hungry and thought of what I could make for supper. Ham and beans with a whole sliced onion sounded pretty good to me. Cause and effect (beer & beans) would force the wife to leave the living room that evening so I would have control of the TV.

Anyway, put everything in the pressure cooker and turned on the burner. Probably the first time I used a pressure cooker. It didn't have a pressure gage on it.

About 45-60 minutes later I was wondering if they were done yet? Grabbed a hold of the bottom and top handle and tried to open it, damn, why is this lid so hard to turn and open? Well, I'm hungry, one way or another this lid is coming off. So I give it some hard force.

KAPOW!!! Ham & beans everywhere. Under the stove vent cover, on the ceiling and raining down on the floor and me. Fortunately it didn't explode in my face because I was crouched down a bit to apply more force to open the lid. The heavy lid blew out of my hand and broke the big glass sugar bowl on the counter.

The wife cautiously came running in and asked what happened? I failed to tell her the pressure cooker failed and it wasn't my fault. Every relative, friend and any strangers who would listen, my wife blabbed to about it.
    I think, therefore I am...

<the Menace>

Odd thing this thread is...I just bought a pressure cooker last friday,and made a killer venison stew sunday in about 30 minutes.
    The new cookers are still far safer than a rapper showing off his new glock.
    It is pardonable to be defeated but never surprised.
    2 Ruger alaskan .454s
    Ruger P95
    Rem 870
    Barrett .50BMG

Holy crap! Lucky you weren't hurt.
    Watched a buddy of mine drop a half frozen turkey into a deep frier. Warned him you had to thaw the whole thing out. Sat back and watched the fireworks.

Quote Originally Posted by pscipio03 View Post
    Watched a buddy of mine drop a half frozen turkey into a deep frier. Warned him you had to thaw the whole thing out. Sat back and watched the fireworks.
    Yeah, that's one way to test the old adage that Oil And Water Don't Mix.

Sort of like microwaving an apple pie ... in the pie tin. Watched someone do that once. Once. What a mess, the 'nuker. Things momma never told us (though, the little instruction book makes clear).
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by pscipio03 View Post
    Holy crap! Lucky you weren't hurt.
    Well, it's about that time of the year again. It's amazing how many people burn down their house by doing this..

OP, glad your lid (the one that matters) is still intact. I've never used a pressure cooker, though I own one, and will keep this thread in mind.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

Distinguished Member Array shadowwalker's Avatar
    Well now I know why I bought one of those electric pressure cooker and at my age I keep forgetting to plug it in

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links