Where is best to live in a SHTF scenario:Rural North or South (POLL) - Page 3

Where is best to live in a SHTF scenario:Rural North or South (POLL)

This is a discussion on Where is best to live in a SHTF scenario:Rural North or South (POLL) within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; IMO TX is severely overcrowded everywhere East of I-35 and for 50 miles or more West of I-35. The rest is barely habitable, which is ...

View Poll Results: Where is better to live during a SHTF scenario

Voters
148. You may not vote on this poll
  • Rural North (NH)

24 16.22%
  • Rural South

91 61.49%
  • Other

33 22.30%
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree58Likes

Thread: Where is best to live in a SHTF scenario:Rural North or South (POLL)

VIP Member
    IMO TX is severely overcrowded everywhere East of I-35 and for 50 miles or more West of I-35.
    The rest is barely habitable, which is why there isn't much there at all.

I think I'd rather take my chances with the NH winter than the West TX summer heat.

However, I wouldn't bet on the Bostonians not invading. New Yorkers not so much; but Boston
    is "walking distance from Manchester. Gotta get N another 75 miles.

Here's how I'd look at it if I were inclined to invest in a SHTF hideaway. Draw a line E-W going through
    Portsmouth, Hanover, Vermont and NY. Get North of that line; dig a deep cave on the side of a big
    hill somewhere.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    IMO TX is severely overcrowded everywhere East of I-35 and for 50 miles or more West of I-35.
    The rest is barely habitable, which is why there isn't much there at all.

I think I'd rather take my chances with the NH winter than the West TX summer heat.

However, I wouldn't bet on the Bostonians not invading. New Yorkers not so much; but Boston
    is "walking distance from Manchester. Gotta get N another 75 miles.

Here's how I'd look at it if I were inclined to invest in a SHTF hideaway. Draw a line E-W going through
    Portsmouth, Hanover, Vermont and NY. Get North of that line; dig a deep cave on the side of a big
    hill somewhere.
    Manchester is NOT northern NH .....in fact most consider it Massachusetts most northern county I am talking about north of Mt Washington...and folks ain't coming up from Boston LOL
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

Ya'll need to consider the growing season for your patches of Arugula. North = shorter; South = longer; Mountains = shorter

The tyrant dies and his rule is over, the martyr dies and his rule begins. ― The Journals of Kierkegaard

Quote Originally Posted by Rock and Glock View Post
    Ya'll need to consider the growing season for your patches of Arugula. North = shorter; South = longer; Mountains = shorter
    Solar power and a hydroponic garden. Just started with hydrponics and it is super duper easy.
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”

Distinguished Member Array bigmacque's Avatar
    I'd have to go with the South, for most of the reasons stated above: it's much easier to deal with the heat after a hurricane than the cold after a blizzard.

I don't know if I'd go for Texas though. I'd probably opt for some of the more fertile areas of Alabama, Mississippi, Louisiana and the likes. Candidly, the interior of the state of Florida would not be bad either.
    I'm in favor of gun control -- I think every citizen should have control of a gun.
    1 Thess. 5:16-18

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by suntzu View Post
    Solar power and a hydroponic garden. Just started with hydrponics and it is super duper easy.
    No way on the hydroponics. Just when you think civilization is done a DEA guy will show up with a
    warrant.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    No way on the hydroponics. Just when you think civilization is done a DEA guy will show up with a
    warrant.
    Just started it a couple of months ago...lettuce and tomatos grow fast. When I went to buy nutrients at a hydropnics supply store I was going to wear a tye die t shirt with a peace symbol on it

I think rural 'anywhere' is better than urban 'anything'. As long as water, food, shelter, and a defensable position is at hand, your good to go.

I loved the short time I spent out in rural NH...... it was beautiful there
    Caertaker likes this.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Assuming the facilities are equally defensible, equally stocked and assuming comparable environmental protection against hot/cold temperature swings and weather (ie, sufficient ongoing access to fuel supplies to combat NH cold in winter), then with the factors you've described, personally I'd opt for NH. I'd base that on distance from likely threat sources, and resulting reduced threat of competition for resources (presumed smaller population, migrating or otherwise); forest/winter type skills over chaparral/summer type skills; likely superior ongoing food sources. YMMV.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeanlouise View Post
    Buy a house in WV. We have it all. Moderate climate, lots of rivers and streams, over run with deer and West Virginians generally are good people who look out for each other. The don't call it "Wild and Wonderful" for nothing.

Probably the ideal place to live would be around Sonoma, California. Perfect weather, abundant food growing areas with fertile soil, great water sources and the best part is that if you run out of everything you can go to Starbucks.
    Don't forget the ample wine supply in Sonoma! I would choose the south. You would burn up a lot of energy gathering firewood for a full winter in the north. I live near Chicago, too cold for me anymore.

VIP Member
    Not that I'm moving any time soon, but ideally you'd be as far from any major city as possible. Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, maybe South Dakota (winter is just too much in ND). If you live anywhere east of the Mississippi you're in too dense of a population area. Probably if you're east of the Rockies and South of SD the same could be said.

But there's trade offs to everthing. I'm not moving to the place that would be best because the tradeoff of life in a non-TEOTWAWKI situation isn't worth it.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

Administrator
    Just remember that the folks on this forum that are adapted to a warmer climate will always say "South" due to the warmer weather.
    But, one thing (for sure) that us "Damn Yankees" do a whole lot better than you Toasty Southern Belles is function way better in COLD!

It's 38 Degrees F. here right now w/ 10MPH wind and I just came back in from raking leaves for two hours outside in a sleeveless T-Shirt.
    suntzu and Rock and Glock like this.

It's rather easy to gather fire wood in todays world with chainsaws, log splitters, and trucks to haul it back to the house.

Try doing all this by hand.

A milder climate seems more ideal for SHTF
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeanlouise View Post
    I live in an area that is semi rural and have all those things you mentioned. I think the main difference is weather conditions.
    In Texas you don't have to deal with blizzards and bitter winters. I know heat can be pretty horrible but I think the cold is worse.
    Depends on the part of TX you're in. I spent 17 years living on the TX/OK line, just inside OK. Winters while not as long as up north, can be brutal in the panhandle region. Temps in the teens and 20's, with a constant 25-40 MPH wind is quite common, and there is nothing to break the wind, so it cuts right through. That said, I'd still take the SW states over the northern states.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    I grew up in the rural sticks on the US side of the Canadian border. -20 to -30 below during the January arctic express was not uncommon. I now live in Georgia. SHTF or not, I'm staying down here.

Seriously, I think the north offers many more survival challenges than the south.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Sponsored Links